Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so to, but I think in games against lesser sides it actually puts more pressure on our defenders. That old saying of the best defence is a good offence rings true, if we have the ball more and are more deadly in attack, all of the sudden our defenders have less to do because they cant afford to press us and push forward.
Unbelievable that I just read your post. I was just about to comment on Manchester City’s team today. Only Fernandinho in the midfield/attack is defensive. You’re so right, give the other team something to think about and it takes the pressure off the defence.

Im not saying its all Rooney's fault, or that he for sure needs to be dropped, but I think the results are alarming. He was fine in the europa league qualifiers, but lets face it, thats low level competition. Since then, in the league, the league cup, and our one actual Europa League game so far, we have played 720 minutes. Rooney has played 563 of those minutes. In the 563 minutes he has been on the field in meaningful games, we have only scored 2 goals, both his. No other player has scored when Rooney is on the field. None. I dont think that says good things about how he helps the team. We have allowed 11 goals in that same time. When Rooney is on the field we have scored 2, and allowed 11. We average a goal ever 282 minutes, and giving up a goal every 51 minutes.

We have had 157 minutes without Rooney on the field. In that time we have scored 5 goals, and given up 3. All 3 goals given up were in the last 8 minutes of the United game. Without those 8 minutes, its 149 minutes with 0 goals conceded, and 5 goals allowed, or a goal every 31 minutes.

Im not saying the statistics are for sure predicting the future, but the results are kind of striking.

TLDR: 563 minutes of Rooney, 2 goals scored, 11 allowed. 157 minutes without, 5 goals scored, 3 allowed, all 3 in the last 8 minutes of the United game.

He disrupts our play.

He should only be used as a sub.

Man Utd knew he was finished, England knew he was finished, why did we think he was going to turn back the clock at us?

Personally, I've thought he has been finished since his showing in the 2010 World Cup. He was shocking then and hasn't gotten any better imo.

Most people seem to call his roaming about a free role, or Rooney playing his natural game. Especially when he ends up in the left back, defensive midfield positions etc.

But for me it's actually a complete lack of discipline. He's supposed to be giving us some form of a focal point. He's supposed to be occupying defences. He needs to be hooked any game he starts floating about and spending half his time stood on top of baines.

Most people seem to call his roaming about a free role, or Rooney playing his natural game. Especially when he ends up in the left back, defensive midfield positions etc.

But for me it's actually a complete lack of discipline. He's supposed to be giving us some form of a focal point. He's supposed to be occupying defences. He needs to be hooked any game he starts floating about and spending half his time stood on top of baines.

It looks like Rooney is roaming too much mate because everyone else around him is normally just standing still.

He disrupts our play.

He should only be used as a sub.

Man Utd knew he was finished, England knew he was finished, why did we think he was going to turn back the clock at us?
Dude, have you not read this thread? A big part of the Everton supporters didnt want him. The rest wanted "Wayne to come home!" and those are dummies. Im sorry, but him sucking shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. Mourinho never would have sold him to us had he though Rooney good enough to punish them in any way. And he was right. The only thing Rooney has left is fight and spirit. Everything else is gone. He should not start another game for us, at least not in the prem. Let him play in the early stages of Europe and as a late, late sub in the prem. Because he sinply isnt good enough. Us paying him 150k a week, the most we've ever payed anyone is a legitimate travisty. Bains and Siggy should be our top guys, not this old manc castoff. Him being back here still makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back