Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this thread is going to be a wild ride this season. In my opinion we've had Wayne Rooney as our main player for the first half of our matches and he was probably man of the match in every game. Then we bought Sigurdson and Koeman thought it would be great to play two players in the same position and it doesn't work... not really Wayne's fault imo

Most people seem to call his roaming about a free role, or Rooney playing his natural game. Especially when he ends up in the left back, defensive midfield positions etc.

But for me it's actually a complete lack of discipline. He's supposed to be giving us some form of a focal point. He's supposed to be occupying defences. He needs to be hooked any game he starts floating about and spending half his time stood on top of baines.

It's either him or Sigurdsson. Rooney has no pace and power to play up front now. We need runners to move in position and quick to put pressure on opposition. And I don't like the idea of him being the focal point because we, as a team is so static. I know having all these slow players around you does not help but you know what I mean.

He's not a striker anymore, not a wide player, and we have just spent 45m on a number 10 who has just come off his best ever season form wise.

Some hard choices for the manager to make as playing Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klassen in the same team is a utter mess - only room for one in reality
Defo this ^. He competes for the No 10 shirt with Siggy and Klaasen

He's not a striker anymore, not a wide player, and we have just spent 45m on a number 10 who has just come off his best ever season form wise.

Some hard choices for the manager to make as playing Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klassen in the same team is a utter mess - only room for one in reality

Agree completely with this.

He disrupts our play.

He should only be used as a sub.

Man Utd knew he was finished, England knew he was finished, why did we think he was going to turn back the clock at us?

And this

Wow this thread is going to be a wild ride this season. In my opinion we've had Wayne Rooney as our main player for the first half of our matches and he was probably man of the match in every game. Then we bought Sigurdson and Koeman thought it would be great to play two players in the same position and it doesn't work... not really Wayne's fault imo
This, he surprised many of us with his early form and then a player who wants to play in the same areas is in the side with him. Blame Koeman not Rooney.

..yep, I love watching Rooney but my fear that the Manager was backing himself into a corner in feeling he always needs to select him is being realised. I'd use him sparingly. I'd also play Sigurdsson in his best position at no10.

Koeman is accommodating the above,in the same way,he is accommodating Gana and Schneiderlin,It just doesn't work and has a negative impact on the side,
He should play a back 4,Siggurdsson alongside Davies in the middle,Rooney behind/alongside DCL and use Vlasic and Lookman out wide.

..yep, I love watching Rooney but my fear that the Manager was backing himself into a corner in feeling he always needs to select him is being realised. I'd use him sparingly. I'd also play Sigurdsson in his best position at no10.

Same mate, Sigurdsson should - as should any record signing initially, be the focal point of the team that the rest is structured around, for me fill the team with some energy and pace, Kenny, Davies, Keane and DCL all need to be in that starting 11 with Sigurdsson, then slot the rest in to what balances and suits the team the best

Koeman is accommodating the above,in the same way,he is accommodating Gana and Schneiderlin,It just doesn't work and has a negative impact on the side,
He should play a back 4,Siggurdsson alongside Davies in the middle,Rooney behind/alongside DCL and use Vlasic and Lookman out wide.

Nah mate, Davies thankfully is versatile enough that he can play wider etc and still really factor in, in fact a little less disciplined approach for him in a game seems to allow him to play more naturally and have more an impact.

If you pay 45m on a player, you play him in his best position regardless if you have someone called Rooney also in the squad, otherwise you simply shouldn't have ever bought the player, Gana and Schneiderlin don't IMO anyway work together well as a pair, one or the other needs dropping, not both though, actually think McCarthy if he was fit and in form etc would be a better partner for either than the one he'd replace would be, he's much more disciplined than either

Same mate, Sigurdsson should - as should any record signing initially, be the focal point of the team that the rest is structured around, for me fill the team with some energy and pace, Kenny, Davies, Keane and DCL all need to be in that starting 11 with Sigurdsson, then slot the rest in to what balances and suits the team the best

..absolutely. RK needs to back his own judgement in the transfer market, Sigurdsson wasn't only his most expensive purchase he was also declared the no1 target.

I reckon Koeman watched his team last season and thought Sigurdsson would be a big improvement in a role supporting Lukaku. We rarely had a player getting alongside and beyond Lukaku in the way Sigurdsson would. The trouble is, Lukaku left and the acquisition of Rooney has muddied the waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back