What the Hell is happening to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries to Coleman/Stones/Kev/Barkley/Pienaar/Osman/McCarthy and Baines over the course of the season has disrupted the squad no end

Constantly having to get players back to fitness and with a squad our size injuries to key players really hurt us

Add the extra 5 games we had played by the end of November and lack of any real creativity up front and its easy to see why we have struggled this season

Injuries to Coleman/Stones/Kev/Barkley/Pienaar/Osman/McCarthy and Baines over the course of the season has disrupted the squad no end

Constantly having to get players back to fitness and with a squad our size injuries to key players really hurt us

Add the extra 5 games we had played by the end of November and lack of any real creativity up front and its easy to see why we have struggled this season

I agree with this and I would also add the horrendously planned pre-season that we never seemed to know what we were doing and that contributed to a slow start. I hope those responsible doesn't let it happen again.

You think we have problems now. Pity the supporters in the 1950's :
http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php/articles.html/_/fe/you/part-3-the-fifties-r13
That last line: "a new manager arrived who would change the balance of power on Merseyside forever."
Hilarious minimalism.

Put another and more truthful way: "we were in Everton's shadow for 75 years, then Shankly came and it took him another 10 years operating in Everton's shadow before we finally emerged blinking into the light...oh, and then we were eclipsed by them again for half a decade in the 1980s...but then we reasserted our dominance again after that with a load of cash they couldn't access anymore...but, erm, we haven't been able to win our own domestic title with that cash for the past 25 years".

Could someone explain to me what second season syndrome is? Ive heard it getting thrown about but never understood, just sounds like a massive cop out thats accepted without scrutiny.

It doesn't stand up, no.

I think its thrown out there with us (and probably some other teams) when people can't put a handle on exactly what is wrong.

The fact is that on paper we have good to very good players, many are current internationals, but on the pitch it is not transferring into good performances.

Then people will look at the management but he's not a bad manager either.

There have been injuries, players being played out of position and poor tactical choices but I feel many clubs have, or will, experience that and we, on paper, have the quality to somewhat at least counteract that.

There's certainly something going on as it just doesn't feel the same around the club this season, and thats nothing to do with the results either.

It doesn't stand up, no.

I think its thrown out there with us (and probably some other teams) when people can't put a handle on exactly what is wrong.

The fact is that on paper we have good to very good players, many are current internationals, but on the pitch it is not transferring into good performances.

There have been injuries, players being played out of position and poor tactical choices but I feel many clubs have, or will, experience that and we, on paper, have the quality to somewhat at least counteract that.

There's certainly something going on as it just doesn't feel the same around the club this season, and thats nothing to do with the results either.
Surely this could happen in a managers 3rd, 4th, 8th season at the helm, in which case it would be scrutinised and discussed to try and figure out why, just like your explaination. No other season during a managers reign is there a pre packaged ready to use excuse like 4th season syndrome

It doesn't stand up, no.

You make a good point. What would happen if you started a new job and then in a year's time you got bollocked by somebody for not doing your job properly. I think the excuse of second year syndrome wouldn't cut the mustard.

I get the injuries and the problems they have caused, but
Fellaini said he wanted to leave, Lescott throw a strop about moving to Man City and we've had players being less than professional about training all under Moyes - was he out of his depth as well?

Eto'o walked out on a Sampdoria double session less than a week after joining - does that reflect badly on his new manager or on Eto'o?

Two players disruptive under Moyes,in eleven years, under Martinez its our biggest players and within 18 Months. This makes me question his man management skills. We have lost a lot of the medical/ backroom staff and I really think this has damaged us more than most would admit.

I wonder why after a great season, that started to wane over the final Month, staff would want to leave? It makes no sense, surely they would of thought to stay on as the next season would be a decent one? None of it makes sense, something has gone on in the background, I think during the last couple of months of last season. I also think Martinez has had a bollocking and been told to defend, as we really hit a crisis point, and the fear of relegation was very real. I think he was told to change tactics and grind out a point here and there to ensure we stay up.

We will part ways with him at the end of the season`mutual consent`

Two players disruptive under Moyes,in eleven years, under Martinez its our biggest players and within 18 Months. This makes me question his man management skills. We have lost a lot of the medical/ backroom staff and I really think this has damaged us more than most would admit.

I wonder why after a great season, that started to wane over the final Month, staff would want to leave? It makes no sense, surely they would of thought to stay on as the next season would be a decent one? None of it makes sense, something has gone on in the background, I think during the last couple of months of last season. I also think Martinez has had a bollocking and been told to defend, as we really hit a crisis point, and the fear of relegation was very real. I think he was told to change tactics and grind out a point here and there to ensure we stay up.

And get who? If we stay up I think he will be given another season

I read a long time ago that the players train with balls at their feet during fitness etc. RM thought this was a unique way to get players used to the type of footie he wants. I wonder does that sort of training hinder actual fitness. With so many players getting muscle injuries in our squad...I think fitness could be a genuine issue. Very fit players dont pick up injuries as much

From who?

Same mistake as Whelan made in my opinion. Sherwood will do well in his new role, his man management with Adebayor was plain for all to see. I think we would attract a suitable candidate over the summer, main thing is not to rush into anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back