What would be your derby lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any formation that leaves lukaku on his own is diaster waiting to happen. Liverpool will isolate him and then he will start drifting back to the middle of the park to get the ball.

We need two up front.

I think if Mirallas/Pienaar were playing better they would regularly move more and be able to get close to Lukaku and link with him when the opportunity arises.

Barkley if played also seems to have enough of an understanding with Lukaku, it's just his decision making letting him down.

I don't think the change of formation is worth it, and I doubt Martinez will go for two up top.

Off the top of my head Gerrard prompted the move against Fulham where Henderson slid Suarez in and he closed Richardson down to set up the fourth. As I've already said he is the joint top assist-provider in the league and I'd imagine that he's assisted the assist on a very high number of occasions too.

Countinho isn't going to pick the ball up off Skrtel and Agger and spray it to the forwards. Gerrard is the only man capable of doing that. If we can shut down that route it could force them to hit long, hopeful balls or to try and play it through the midfield up the wing. Either way they would be less accurate and the build up would take longer, giving us more time to get set up defensively.

According to ESPN Countinho doesn't even feature on the assists table. He doesn't seem to be the same player this year as last year. Maybe he's had to alter his position to accommodate Suarez?

Fair enough mate you still rate him, but your point was we should man mark him, I don't know why you would ever man mark a deep lying midfielder, especially at Goodison,

Off the top of my head Gerrard prompted the move against Fulham where Henderson slid Suarez in and he closed Richardson down to set up the fourth. As I've already said he is the joint top assist-provider in the league and I'd imagine that he's assisted the assist on a very high number of occasions too.

Countinho isn't going to pick the ball up off Skrtel and Agger and spray it to the forwards. Gerrard is the only man capable of doing that. If we can shut down that route it could force them to hit long, hopeful balls or to try and play it through the midfield up the wing. Either way they would be less accurate and the build up would take longer, giving us more time to get set up defensively.

According to ESPN Countinho doesn't even feature on the assists table. He doesn't seem to be the same player this year as last year. Maybe he's had to alter his position to accommodate Suarez?

Weren't 2 of Gerrard's 4 assists from Corners?

Not that it matters anyway, he'll raise his game right up for this.

Fair enough mate you still rate him, but your point was we should man mark him, I don't know why you would ever man mark a deep lying midfielder, especially at Goodison,

They could sit everyone in their own half apart from Suarez and Sturridge. As soon as we lose possession Gerrard would be able to find the strikers in behind our full backs and we'd be caught 3v2 or even 2v2. With Gerrard playing as the 'quarterback' they could quickly switch from defence to attack. I don't see why you wouldn't want to try and cut that supply line off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back