What would be your derby lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll get at least 1 against us, just being realistic here lads, but we've shipped laughable goals against ****ter attacks than Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho.

We'll need at least 2 or 3 ourselves to win this. Just worry that Mirallas has gone off a little, Barkley hasn't carried on his opening form. But the alternatives don't seem much better. Osman will struggle against Lucas and Deulofeu doesn't seem to have the work rate needed in big games like this leaving Coleman exposed.

Agree with Butters

Lukaku
Barkley
Pienaar - McCarthy - Barry - Mirallas
Baines - Distin - Jagielka - Coleman
Howard

Ten years to late, Gerrard is nowere near a good enough footballer these days to take a man out of the game for. I'm more worried about coutinho then Gerrard

Off the top of my head Gerrard prompted the move against Fulham where Henderson slid Suarez in and he closed Richardson down to set up the fourth. As I've already said he is the joint top assist-provider in the league and I'd imagine that he's assisted the assist on a very high number of occasions too.

Countinho isn't going to pick the ball up off Skrtel and Agger and spray it to the forwards. Gerrard is the only man capable of doing that. If we can shut down that route it could force them to hit long, hopeful balls or to try and play it through the midfield up the wing. Either way they would be less accurate and the build up would take longer, giving us more time to get set up defensively.

According to ESPN Countinho doesn't even feature on the assists table. He doesn't seem to be the same player this year as last year. Maybe he's had to alter his position to accommodate Suarez?

They'll get at least 1 against us, just being realistic here lads, but we've shipped laughable goals against ****ter attacks than Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho.

We'll need at least 2 or 3 ourselves to win this. Just worry that Mirallas has gone off a little, Barkley hasn't carried on his opening form. But the alternatives don't seem much better. Osman will struggle against Lucas and Deulofeu doesn't seem to have the work rate needed in big games like this leaving Coleman exposed.

Agree with Butters

Lukaku
Barkley
Pienaar - McCarthy - Barry - Mirallas
Baines - Distin - Jagielka - Coleman
Howard

I don't know if the personnel is necessarily that important. I think it's more a question of tactics and mindset going into the game.

Looking at their away record so far:

Villa 0-1 They had 1 shot on target!
Swansea 2-2
Sunderland 1-3
Newcastle 2-2
Arsenal 2-0

I'd be quite tempted to play like the away side and invite them on to us, especially as we struggle to break down packed defences. Tottenham and Chelsea couldn't find a way through us, so hopefully we can deny them space to work in and create some for ourselves down the other end of the pitch.

Any formation that leaves lukaku on his own is diaster waiting to happen. Liverpool will isolate him and then he will start drifting back to the middle of the park to get the ball.

We need two up front.

Have to laugh at the people trying to write off Gerrard. If the guy was confined to a wheelchair, you can bet your bottom dollar he would find superhuman powers to turn it on in the derby, he loves this game, and needs to be nullified. He may not make the lung busting runs like he used to but still has the ability to dictate from deeper if we dont press him. This game will be won or lost in midfield, I just hope we can put a full shift in for the 90 mins and not just the one half which seems to be the pattern at the moment.

Any formation that leaves lukaku on his own is diaster waiting to happen. Liverpool will isolate him and then he will start drifting back to the middle of the park to get the ball.

We need two up front.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I don't see the use in playing Barry and McCarthy in there. We look short upfront.

The two sitters is essentially our first backbone though. It's a toughy. If I was to play two up top I'd play this...

Howard

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines

Mccarthy

Mirallas Barkley Pienaar

Lukaku Naismith

Last edited:
Have to laugh at the people trying to write off Gerrard. If the guy was confined to a wheelchair, you can bet your bottom dollar he would find superhuman powers to turn it on in the derby, he loves this game, and needs to be nullified. He may not make the lung busting runs like he used to but still has the ability to dictate from deeper if we dont press him. This game will be won or lost in midfield, I just hope we can put a full shift in for the 90 mins and not just the one half which seems to be the pattern at the moment.

He done nothing last season in this fixture. It's Suarez who is the danger man. No doubt about it.

He done nothing last season in this fixture. It's Suarez who is the danger man. No doubt about it.
Liverpool were trying to adapt to the 'Fillossifee' last season. This year they are a better team, and Gerrard looks a better player in the system they play. I would be more than happy for Barry to do one of his accidentally late tackles on him early on.

We need two up front.

I've said a couple of times we should go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and be more direct. I expect Suarez to be all over our defenders like a rash. Disaster waiting to happen if our centre backs dilly-dally/play keep ball.

4-3-3 would be particularly interesting if Baines and Coleman were given license to bomb on! ATTACK!

I've said a couple of times we should go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and be more direct. I expect Suarez to be all over our defenders like a rash. Disaster waiting to happen if our centre backs dilly-dally/play keep ball.

4-3-3 would be particularly interesting if Baines and Coleman were given license to bomb on! ATTACK!

Won't happen, 4-2-3-1, short passing. But with enough drive and determination that will get us the first half performance against Newcastle for the whole game, and that should be enough to get the result we want.

What I don't want to see is a great first half and a shocking second half or vice versa because they will not be so lenient with their chances as Newcastle, West Ham and Palace were.

Off the top of my head Gerrard prompted the move against Fulham where Henderson slid Suarez in and he closed Richardson down to set up the fourth. As I've already said he is the joint top assist-provider in the league and I'd imagine that he's assisted the assist on a very high number of occasions too.

Countinho isn't going to pick the ball up off Skrtel and Agger and spray it to the forwards. Gerrard is the only man capable of doing that. If we can shut down that route it could force them to hit long, hopeful balls or to try and play it through the midfield up the wing. Either way they would be less accurate and the build up would take longer, giving us more time to get set up defensively.

According to ESPN Countinho doesn't even feature on the assists table. He doesn't seem to be the same player this year as last year. Maybe he's had to alter his position to accommodate Suarez?

Coutinho has been injured. Made his first start against Fulham since September.

Howard

Coleman Jags Distin Baines

Kevin m Barry Osman steven p

Barkley

Big Rom

Subs:Robles Deulofeu Barkley McCarthy Stones Naismith Jelavic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back