What would be your derby lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see us go more direct in this one. 4-4-2 or maybe 4-3-3: The usual keeper and defence, a midfield three of Mcarthy, Barry and Barley, and Mirallas, Lukaku and Deulofeu up top.

Dear prospective team('s):

Whomever's playing in whatever formation;

Can just one of you frumpers frump the cruddy ball into the frocking net several times and [Poor language removed] these mother-funglers all over the show...

for funk sake

Howard
Stones Jags Distan
Coleman. Baines
McCarthy. Barry
Barkley
Lukaku. Naismith

Ok maybe not but I don't trust the Spanish kid to track back, it's too big a game and I am fuming with Mirrallas and Peinaar for their poor form so I am making some tough decisions (in my head)

Last edited:

Agree with this. I don't rate Naismith at all but Mirallas has been absolutely pathetic this season and Deulofeu isn't up to starting a normal game at the moment, let alone the Derby.

Aye. Mirallas needs some bench time I would reckon.

It will depend how players are when they report back from international duty. I think he might reinstate Barkley for Osman but I don't expect any other changes unless they're forced.

Johnson, Gerrard and Sturridge are carrying knocks for them. Their lineup might have a bearing on ours. If they go three at the back it's difficult to see Lukaku getting much change if Skrtel is man-marking (fouling) him and they have Agger and Toure sweeping up. Jags and Distin might end up 2v2 with Suarez and Sturridge, which could leave Gerrard, Coutinho or Henderson free to break from midfield. McCarthey's inexperience and Barry's immobility could be an issue.

We could try:

_____________Howard
_______Heitinga Distin Jagielka
______(Sturridge)____(Suarez)
Coleman___________________Baines
_______McCarthy Barry Pienaar
_________Mirallas
_______________Lukaku

It would be a reactionary lineup. Distin would have the height and the pace to sweep around the two man-markers. We'd match up quite well against Gerrard, Henderson and Countinho/Lucas in the middle. They're struggling for fit wing backs, so we could hopefully dominate the channels and Mirallas could drift wherever he wanted to.

Alternatively I'd sit McCarthy on Gerrard. It's nearly always him that instigates the play. If you can make it difficult for him to get his head up and pick out a pass it gives their strikers very little to feed on.

Barkley back in and no other changes, for me.

Mirallas' form means that I wouldn't be particularly disappointed if he wasn't included though.

Really thought he'd be our trump card this year, Kev. Don't quite know what's gone so wrong. Maybe it's the gold bentleys etc going to his head. Be an ace problem to have, that, like.

Barkley back in and no other changes, for me.

Mirallas' form means that I wouldn't be particularly disappointed if he wasn't included though.

Really thought he'd be our trump card this year, Kev. Don't quite know what's gone so wrong. Maybe it's the gold bentleys etc going to his head. Be an ace problem to have, that, like.

He hasn't produced one bit of magic that we saw at the end of last season ie against spurs and stoke - he actually played out of his skin against liverpool at home.

I'd have Mirallas operating on the left where he damaged Liverpool last time out. And playing Pienaar over on the right might spark Coleman into some form...because he's doing nothing with Mirallas.

Howard
Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines
McCarthy Barry
Pienaar Barkley Mirallas
Lukaku

This one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back