Who partners Tarkowsi?

• Keane

• Holgate

• Godfrey

• Branthwaite

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gone for Godfrey for pace. But we might not sell, Mina. Can't see a lot of clubs wanting to risk, him only playing 16 games. So Mina if fit .

I think Frank, will play 3 at the back. Kean and Godfrey most weeks. I guess it depends on how, Patterson does in preseason? Coleman can't play wing back every week.

But every part of Michael Keane we want to replace, his timidness, his reactive playstyle, his lax style is the exact opposite of what we've seen from Tarkowski in the PL. I'm not saying he's going to be the best centre half since Jags but the parts of Keane I don't like I personally don't see in Tarkowski.

The reason I mentioned Burnley grock is people keep saying "can he play in a 3, he's from Burnley all they do is defend deep" etc. but he even said himself in his interview he was known as a ball-playing defender before Burnley - after arriving there had to actually adapt to Dyche's style which should give us confidence he is not locked in to that style.

We'll see.

We paid a fortune for Keane because he looked very good in a Burnley side. So good, he kept Tarkowski out their team.

We'd be foolish to assume Tarkowski comes in, with only top flight experience from being at Burnley and definitely improves us.

People forget how good Keane looked at Burnley.

Remember? You say he's timid etc after we've Everton'ed him, but at Burnley Keane was a proper defender wasn't he who "excels in: aerial duels"

I'd throw a wedge at Keane and/or Gibson myself.

Not because they're English but because they're proper defenders and I love a good clearance.

Rather pay more for Keane now than wait till the summer and enter a potentially larger pool or interested clubs.

Don't care about decent on the ball defenders, more arsed can they dominate aerially and keep things simple.

Keane & Gibson partnership.

I know they're not foreign so it's totally uncool these days but I'd be more than happy starting the season with a Keane & Gibson/Maguire partnership. Just because they're English doesn't mean they can't grow to be as good as these foreigners (some of the foreign defenders linked are overrated anyway).

Is the club not irrelevant? Burnley and Swansea might be worse teams than us but no one can say Keane and Sigurddson aren't good enough to play for Everton. Likewise United are above us but Ashley Young sure as Hell wouldn't get in our team.

Mawson today is the reason we're going after Keane really. An actual defender.

Well the one thing we suck at is the one thing Keane excels in: aerial duels.

CB's: Williams (keep), RFM (keep), Jags (sell), Holgate (keep and purely at CB next season), Galloway (undecided) - Need to add 2 more that will be first choice with Williams, RFM and Holgate rotating out.

LB's: Baines (keep), Garbutt (evaluate pre-season) - Need a LB that will either push Baines to play better or just flat out replace him straight away.

RB's: Coleman (keep), Kenny (keep) - Kenny looked okay but has only played ~90 mins of PL football so we can't have solely him till whenever Coleman returns and we don't yet know how he'll return. Need a RB in that's equal or better than Seamus to start.

Players we've been linked with I like and seem attainable: Keane, Gibson, Tierney, Trippier, Tete, Sanchez (last summer), Robertson (undecided).

Dreamland? Throw a pot of gold at Benjamin Mendy. I also really rate Paul Baysse but he's injury prone.

The reaction to Keane signing.

Michael Keane, despite the abuse he gets, is a decent defender when he is limited to playing a deep line and is not expected to carry the ball out from defence.

That was ideal for Burnley's style of play.

Tarkowski seems more expansive.

Good post mate, Keane was brilliant under Carlo playing that way to and thats a season ago. Really when you compare our defensive record in the last two seasons its quite startling with the same players - one was one of the best in the league and the other one of the worst. I often think Keane doesn't cope well with pressure and feeling overwhelmed, i know hes talked about his own mental health n the past. Pickford was a bit like that as well.

One thing that always stands out for me, is every manager and we have had a fer always plays Keane.

Michael Keane, despite the abuse he gets, is a decent defender when he is limited to playing a deep line and is not expected to carry the ball out from defence.

That was ideal for Burnley's style of play.

Tarkowski seems more expansive.

Bingo.

The last point is my hope - and as said earlier on, Dyche lashing him in midfield early days suggests he probably is.

[edit] to add. I think Keane also needs a 'lead' centre half next to him.

Last edited:

Godfrey because Tarkowski can tell him where to stand at all times the way Jags used to with Distin, Lescott and Stones and positioning is his main issue.
His other main issue is heading and again Tarkowski can make up for that
I was watching, toffeetv, talking about Tarkowski signing. They said the same thing. Just being organised, at the back would cut it at least 5-10 goals last season.

We'll see.

We paid a fortune for Keane because he looked very good in a Burnley side. So good, he kept Tarkowski out their team.

We'd be foolish to assume Tarkowski comes in, with only top flight experience from being at Burnley and definitely improves us.

People forget how good Keane looked at Burnley.

Remember? You say he's timid etc after we've Everton'ed him, but at Burnley Keane was a proper defender wasn't he who "excels in: aerial duels"

lbma-wonders-of-gold_buba-vault-0231bundesbank.jpg

Honestly thought this may have ended up in the arena given the last couple of pages.

Centre back pairings can be hard to predict. Weir and Stubbs were pretty solid for us. Neither had pace, but Moyes set up to accommodate that. They had nous so worked well together.

I've a funny feeling we'll see him with Keane or in a back 3 with Holgate/Godfrey

…i went for Godfrey but I think the should be an AN Other option as I suspect another CB will come in.

if Mina stays I wouldn’t be surprised to see him available more than in recent times. I’m a little cynical of players in the last year of their contract who need to impress.
wha? for crying out loud, how many centre backs do we need?

I would have gone for Mina as he is easily the best CB (and that includes Tarkowski). However you can only be good if we can get you out on the pitch , which has obviously proved to be problematic. Whether that is down to sheer bad luck , not really being interested , or incompetent medical staff is another matter.
If we exclude Mina , then I would go for Godfrey as his pace would allow us to play a higher line.

Bingo.

The last point is my hope - and as said earlier on, Dyche lashing him in midfield early days suggests he probably is.

[edit] to add. I think Keane also needs a 'lead' centre half next to him.
We desperately need a CM who can demand the ball, pass and dictate play. If we find that, it becomes a little bit easier to play Keane and Tarkowski together.

Status
Not open for further replies.