Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand all the comments on personal wealth, with PSR, as proved with the PIF, you can be dripping in it and still cant spend it.

We need a bit of investment but we also need a lot of competency more.
100% this. We need commercial deals in the place that fill the void left by USM and Megafone. With the new stadium on the horizon it's the perfect time to negotiate these but we can't do anything until we have new ownership in place.
The Stake deal ends next summer and i believe the new rules regarding betting sponsorships come into play so the club should, ideally be looking at the next shirt sponsor now.
Sleeves, stadium naming rights, the works all need sorting

I dont understand all the comments on personal wealth, with PSR, as proved with the PIF, you can be dripping in it and still cant spend it.

I thought there was talk of the entire PSR thing being scrapped in the future ?

Don’t we need some wealth to do things like sponsor training facilities - naming rights in stadium? Sponsor this and that for ludicrous amounts like city have done? Like we were doing with USM.

That is true but its graded on a curve I'd argue. I think the benefits of outbuying everyone is marginal under the new rules but in the inverse the gaps in the rest of table does reflect resources. Clubs more often than not lose money, personal finances of an owner are often the safety net of clearing mistakes. Buying power does still matter.

If Bell Downing themselves win the bid we will likely have the least resourced owners in the first division currently based on net worth. Just to name a few clubs with richer portfolio owners Southampton, Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Sunderland, Wigan Athletic to name a few. And thats pre the amount of their finances they put up to buy the club.

I quite fancied the remaining members of Queen being involved but Roger Taylor’s an Arsenal fan.

Look like we’re stuck with Lee Maver’s from The LA’s as the only blue musician I can recall.
Justin Bieber apparently.

Not that I know any of his songs or could describe what he sounds or even looks like.

The concern I have if it is indeed true that Bell Downing are the most feasible is the extent of the finances borrowed. I understand they are Evertonians, but lets face it they are rich solely in a local sense. They are in a completely different tier of wealth than everyone else being discussed. In the new premier league their personal finances are more comparable to the championship ownerships. Of course they are borrowing from MSD, but that isn't inviting the likes of Dell into the ownership core. MSD is a private bank provided from the wealth power of Michael Dell. And considering MSD have loaned cash to various football clubs in the pyramid they would be ineligible to be in the ownership and have demonstrated no interest in doing so in previous club relationships.

That's to say as I see it being misconstrued Michael Dell would not be an Everton owner by almost all accounts. His bank may end up offering as much as 1/3rd of the finances in acquisition but he wont be an owner.

Call me a skeptic but how is two individuals with a portfolio that collectively is barely double the Everton evaluation going to afford us? Without an extreme amount borrowed to the point of volatility. I think it signs us up in a very high chance to continue our severe borrowing habits, let alone the clubs finances being almost exclusively the source of its resources. And considering football clubs often lose money I see a messy spider web thats potentially not all that dissimilar to where we are now.

I will say this though I would not be shocked if Bell Downing are being thrown around with their hopes to be foiled into another bidder. MSP has had connects obviously but if your say Friedkin you may be smart to fold in local investors to distinguish your bid from the field favorably. Similarly Moshiri (if he cares) may get props for factoring in some local ties in a final bid. But personally if Bell Downing themselves and win this bid, I will be very concerned.
Esk’s latest is pretty illuminating on the Bell/ Downing bid not least because we can assume by now he is privy to the detail on it as he is clearly close to the bid.

He suggests here the 350m from Dell would repay RMF and MSP, so essentially a long term refinancing of the debt. Necessary but not enough.

He then suggests 400m in equity funding is needed for the business. Given that he supports B&D I doubt he’d put a “requirement” out there he knows they can’t meet. But at most realistically B&D could put in what 100-150m, even if they pushed the boat out to pursue a dream. So the majority of that equity funding still comes from a mystery source.

Esk claims to know it but won’t disclose (fair enough) but it really is the key factor because although B&D are the frontmen this is likely to be the biggest investor and therefore a very powerful one. This is the key info we await: how much equity funding can they put in and from who?

That is true but its graded on a curve I'd argue. I think the benefits of outbuying everyone is marginal under the new rules but in the inverse the gaps in the rest of table does reflect resources. Clubs more often than not lose money, personal finances of an owner are often the safety net of clearing mistakes. Buying power does still matter.

If Bell Downing themselves win the bid we will likely have the least resourced owners in the first division currently. Just to name a few clubs with richer owners Southampton, Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Sunderland, Wigan Athletic to name a few. And thats pre the amount of their finances they put up to buy the club.

I personally dont think a priority should be having an owner who is prepared to write of losses - we've had that with Moshiri and its led us to this pass. We've essentially under his regin lived through that model. I cautioned about surviving being drip fed by an owner for years, its fraught with danger and so its proved.

The only show in town for us in my opinion is to become self sustainable as opposed to dependent.

Id much rather someone come in and manage and grow the club instead of just funding it and inflating it.

I personally dont think a priority should be having an owner who is prepared to write of losses - we've had that with Moshiri and its led us to this pass. We've essentially under his regin lived through that model. I cautioned about surviving being drip fed by an owner for years, its fraught with danger and so its proved.

The only show in town for us in my opinion is to become self sustainable as opposed to dependent.

Id much rather someone come in and manage and grow the club instead of just funding it and inflating it.
The club being more self sufficient and self generating would be a welcomed change. But I also caution the inverse as if the new owners have just cleared the line of their own finances to acquire they may be looking for the club to actually generate them money. That's a recipe for stagnation as well. Just because Bell Downing don't have the money to buy themselves out of problems does not mean they will be pragmatic. Personally them trying to chase an asset they themselves cant really afford feels ominous to continuing a path of outstanding finances and loans hell. Thats of course if thats their goal, I think tis equally possible they are being floated knowing they will be folded into another bid.

Id guess ideally you'd have someone who can maybe check both ends of that. We don't need Sovereign wealth fund money to be competitive, but we equally would be wise to not agree to owners that's personal finances are barely making the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back