Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The articles about Roma as the focal point are based on a statement by Lina Souloukou, AS Roma CEO, at the Globe Soccer Europe Award held in May.

She said, with regard to the Friedkin Group's expansion strategy: "Roma will remain the crown jewel".

https://sport.quotidiano.net/calcio...enzione-di-vendere-vogliamo-crescere-f622915e

If you translate the article, you'll find these exact words. The fact is, at the time she had been asked about Cannes. To be honest - and it's one of the reasons I'm so interested in this deal - when I read such statement I felt something was out of place, because you don't feel compelled to say Roma will remain the top priority when on the other side you have a club like Cannes, that will certainly grow in the future, but currently plays at amateur level.

A few days ago, when I first read about Friedkin's interest in Everton, i connected the dots. It's very likely Souloukou already knew about all this at the time of the statement.

Still, I find these words misleading. I think they'll try to develop both clubs as much as they can. I cannot think of someone who buys a historic Premier League side without a serious growth project in mind. On the other hand, they've already invested almost 1 billion euros in Roma, it would be crazy to just stop and focus on Everton.

Either they have some sort of strange joint growth strategy in mind or they're setting things up to sell Roma.

A company bringing in $11billion of annual revenue will be looking at this as a long tern strategy i'd expect. A $100mil or a $200mil profit on a Roma sale after using €1bil capital on it makes little sense in the big picture.

What interests me is this:

Roma -- Big name, financial problems, will build a new stadium.

Everton -- Big name, financial problems and building a new stadium

Cannes -- Famous location, fallen down the leagues and refurbishing their stadium.

So, it seems like Friedkin group want to buy in to these types of clubs with massive growth potential, improve their homes and gradually improve them.

Long term strategies it seems. You'd only really need a Spanish club and you could potentially build all 4 clubs up so in future you can offer tv deals as a 4club, 4 league package.

It only works if all clubs are near the top of their leagues and the branding is high level.

The more I read about Friedkin and Roma the less hopeful and the more unimpressed I become.
They aren’t 777 , which is about the only positive thing I can think of .
At best, if it goes through, it’s a very 🤷‍♂️ Meh ! takeover.
But I will never be happy with multi club ownership to be honest.

I cant find the words for it.

It is certainly possible to run Roma and Everton well and successfully without sacrificing one for the other.

The right approach is to put in place strong executive teams that can implement your strategy with limited oversight, pursuing sustainable, self-supporting operations with a focus on developing and acquiring younger players with smart player trading that enhances rather than drains resources.

In our case I suspect Chong (maybe as COO), Thelwell and Dyche will all remain in situ but a new CEO and/or CFO in the first year should probably be a priority. Friedkin has recently shifted Roma more to the sustainable approach outlined above so I would expect it to be implemented day one at Everton.

Might he sell Roma with Saudis sniffing? Maybe, if the price is right but there is no financial need to do so. Let us wait for the deal to be confirmed and approved and for them to set out their plans before we leap to conclusions about what it means for us and Roma. Hopefully we can both benefit. It 99% probably cannot be worse than the threat of 777.

I wrote a post just now above which probably applies here too.

Both Cannes & Roma have female Presidents which i found interesting.

Are we going to have a female CEO?

A straight swap of DCL for Abraham PSR sense for both teams

I wonder if DCL is just waiting to see the new ownership plans. Abraham i think a loan with an option suits all.

I honestly think there's a decent chance he sells Roma to the Saudis. I can see him having gotten tired of the Rome politics denying them the ability to build a stadium. Playing in a shared falling-apart stadium surely has to reach a boiling point for someone who sees stadium revenue as a key to competing in a PSR/FFP world. We have that, and it'll be ready in months.

Meanwhile, we know Saudis actively want to buy Roma, so selling would not be difficult for him. I'm not saying it'll happen, but its certainly a decent possibility hes just reached a tipping point and the exit is easy.

$11bil revenue for the Friedkin group last year...4 years and €900mil into Roma for a couple of hundred mil profit?

I think my guess could be more realistic...

The more I read about Friedkin and Roma the less hopeful and the more unimpressed I become.

It does seem Moshiri has something of a thing about 'the multi club model' that he just gravitates to

I think it's cos you think he will lose focus, but what you need to remember is that he's a very busy and active businessman and family man, so even if he didn't have Roma he wouldn't be focusing on just Everton 100%.

Whoever buys us will never care as much as we do. To most it's just 1 of many business deals they will do that week.

A company bringing in $11billion of annual revenue will be looking at this as a long tern strategy i'd expect. A $100mil or a $200mil profit on a Roma sale after using €1bil capital on it makes little sense in the big picture.

What interests me is this:

Roma -- Big name, financial problems, will build a new stadium.

Everton -- Big name, financial problems and building a new stadium

Cannes -- Famous location, fallen down the leagues and refurbishing their stadium.

So, it seems like Friedkin group want to buy in to these types of clubs with massive growth potential, improve their homes and gradually improve them.

Long term strategies it seems. You'd only really need a Spanish club and you could potentially build all 4 clubs up so in future you can offer tv deals as a 4club, 4 league package.

It only works if all clubs are near the top of their leagues and the branding is high level.
For me, that set up is repulsive.
Economy of scale but dilution of brand.
I believe a little bit of every club, (or business ) , vanishes when they are absorbed into a conglomerate.

I think it's cos you think he will lose focus, but what you need to remember is that he's a very busy and active businessman and family man, so even if he didn't have Roma he wouldn't be focusing on just Everton 100%.

Whoever buys us will never care as much as we do. To most it's just 1 of many business deals they will do that week.
Becoming part of a multi club group actually challenges the integrity and identity of the club for me.
It’s a deeply personal view , but to me I will lose a little bit of passion in this situation.
I appreciate others feel differently or are less concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back