Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about Friedkin and Roma the less hopeful and the more unimpressed I become.
They aren’t 777 , which is about the only positive thing I can think of .
At best, if it goes through, it’s a very 🤷‍♂️ Meh ! takeover.
But I will never be happy with multi club ownership to be honest.
Give the rest of us time to rejoice in seeing the back of Mush first!

For me, that set up is repulsive.
Economy of scale but dilution of brand.
I believe a little bit of every club, (or business ) , vanishes when they are absorbed into a conglomerate.

Cannes, Everton, Roma

If all three were built up to finish top 6 each season in their best league and were playing in europe...its pretty cool.

If we were 'twinned' in a sense with those two (and more) then imagine the next generation watching those teams just like with Football Italia on the weekend but a dedicated channel for those sides.

If they were expanded to e.g 4-6 clubs and there was a single tv package to watch them...id be more invested than just watching foreign teams to pass the time.

A company bringing in $11billion of annual revenue will be looking at this as a long tern strategy i'd expect. A $100mil or a $200mil profit on a Roma sale after using €1bil capital on it makes little sense in the big picture.

What interests me is this:

Roma -- Big name, financial problems, will build a new stadium.

Everton -- Big name, financial problems and building a new stadium

Cannes -- Famous location, fallen down the leagues and refurbishing their stadium.

So, it seems like Friedkin group want to buy in to these types of clubs with massive growth potential, improve their homes and gradually improve them.

Long term strategies it seems. You'd only really need a Spanish club and you could potentially build all 4 clubs up so in future you can offer tv deals as a 4club, 4 league package.

It only works if all clubs are near the top of their leagues and the branding is high level.
They're after stadium projects and growth opportunities for sure. If we get a look around, European football is full of US investors who do the same. What sets Friedkin apart, imho, is that he seems to have huge respect for the specific features of European sport. Before Friedkin, we had another American owner - a hedge fund manager - who even obtained better results on the pitch, but never got in tune with the fans.

There's no doubt they'll get these new structures in France and the UK. Italy is a completely different situation...

they had to abandon the old project set up by the former ownership and completely change location. They've almost reached the stage at which the old project was stopped. But building a massive 60000 stadium in Rome is a nightmare. Not only bureaucracy, but serious risk of finding archeological remains, local people who get mad and try to block anything. We also have a Fine Arts Department with enormous power that is involved in any decision. If you find the remains of an ancient Roman aqueduct you're done. You have to move. I'm pretty sure they can build it, but they'll have to wait at least 5 or 6 years from now.

Last edited:
The trauma of the last few seasons and all good and bad faith actors to one side for a moment….

Looks like we’re coming out the far side of this in a DEBT FREE new stadium

Our billionaire provider will provide it - if we get rid of the deadwood that will keep us in line with FFP - why sell star players - & be back in the relegation zone next season ?
Every club sells players when they get offers they find acceptable.

I know how important and good Branners is, but his sale would allow us to invest in 2 or 3 players, which whilst not as good, allows us to improve the overall quality of the team.

In theory.

We bought Onana and Branners for around 35m, to get back over 100m and potentially investing that money into the squad is worth a lot.

Cannes, Everton, Roma

If all three were built up to finish top 6 each season in their best league and were playing in europe...its pretty cool.

If we were 'twinned' in a sense with those two (and more) then imagine the next generation watching those teams just like with Football Italia on the weekend but a dedicated channel for those sides.

If they were expanded to e.g 4-6 clubs and there was a single tv package to watch them...id be more invested than just watching foreign teams to pass the time.
Utterly despise the entire concept .
I could not care less about the other clubs involved .
What you have illustrated here is one of the big reasons the concept appals me.
You are not supporting a football club but a multi national business.
Not for me I’m afraid .
What’s next ?
Going the match with quartered scarves 😀?
And ‘Friedkin’ on them ?😀
If your vision ever becomes a reality , I will find a better use for me time on matchdays with little regret as it won’t be me leaving the club as the club will have left me.

They're after stadium projects and growth opportunities for sure. If we get a look around, European football is full of US investors who do the same. What sets Friedkin apart, imho, is that he seems to have huge respect for the specific features of European sport. Before Friedkin, we had another American owner - a hedge fund manager - who even obtained better results on the pitch, but never got in tune with the fans.

There's no doubt they'll get these new structures in France and the UK. Italy is a completely different situation...

they had to abandon the old project set up by the former ownership and completely change location. They've almost reached the stage at which the old project was stopped. But building a massive 60000 stadium in Rome is a nightmare. Not only bureaucracy, but serious risk of finding archeological remains, local people who get mad and try to block anything. We also have a Fine Arts Department with enormous power that is involved in any decision. If you find the remains of an ancient Roman aqueduct you're done. You have to move. I'm pretty sure they can build it, but they'll have to wait at least 5 or 6 years from now.
Coincidentally that first project was a Dan Meis design also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back