Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bell & Downing are going to be 'backed' by DFO.

I believe there is some confusion on the 'Michael Dell' or 'Dell' links.

If you find yourself with a bit of money then you'll buy a 2nd home, invest in stocks etc etc to try and earn more than you would in a bank.

If you have millions then you will look to invest with people/firms to manage your money and pay them a commission. This makes sense in theory as they are professionals and while you may do well yourself, the thinking is that they will make you more.

When people have 'vast' wealth they will be able to establish something called a 'Family Office'. This means hiring those people to manage your money to exclusively work for you.

That is what DFO does for the Dell family and those outsiders who invest with them.

Michael Dell as you can see is mentioned but the leadership of the family office does not include him. Take Alisa for example, she is an experienced professional https://www.dellfamilyoffice.com/leadership?id=5468&dept_id=95&bioname=Alisa Mall

Why would DFO be 'backing' the takeover?

A: Not really backing but they would act as the corporate lender who would restructure the overall debts and lower the interest payments.

B: Perhaps they may have an interest in holding a minority share as they see a long term investment paying off for them.

C: They may be looking at the club as a vehicle for Dell branding (premier league club etc), a seat at the table and also more of a hands on position where they are in effect 'appointing' Bell & Downing to run the club for them.

Who knows what the reality is but i think its important to clear up that this is not Michael Dell himself.

Secondly, B + C are extremely unlikely and yet that would be the definition of 'backing' the takeover.

Most likely is they simply restructure the debt (A).

To those claiming Bell and & Downing must have amazing connections to be even in talks and supported etc

Thats simply untrue. Its not particularly difficult to have family office connections or to propose A to them as it has done by them many times before.

Lets see...if B or C i would be very impressed.
Yes ive met a few in my time as well -- for various reasons not done business with any but very near.

A close friend of mine will probably know and have done business with a similar amount to yourself i imagine. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners and drinks over many decades with them. Thats how i have been introduced to that world.

As we both agree, the only time you would meet one of the family is if they had a personal interest in the investment.

Thats why I included the option 'C' in my post...its extremely unlikely (as is B) but that is what an actual 'backer' would do.

I think the nature of the relationship would be of the debt restructuring nature. Straightforward, in which case its not 'backing'.

Though im intrigued why that word has been used if its something so straightforward.

Any thoughts on that?
Amongst the hundreds, nay thousands of Zat messages I think these are 2 of your very best .

Insight , knowledge and good analysis.

FWIW I agree with you that option A is the most likely.

To be frank I am more than comfortable with the thought of Bell and Downing running the show with financial backing from the Dell family office.

Even if the arrangement is only one of borrowing sufficient money to complete the deal and then being able to continue to borrow on preferential terms it will give certainty , clarity and should lower our interest costs and therefore help in PSR terms.

It would be lovely to have access to the huge fortune of Dell as a shareholder but let's be frank as the rules stand we can't just go and buy who we want anyway as Newcastle are finding out.

In addition not having a third major shareholder means Bell and Downing can act with greater freedom and react quickly should they need to.

A final point is that if this is simply a borrowing exercise you can be sure from a gearing point of view that Bell and Downing will have had to put a very significant %of their own wealth into the pot . Having that much skin in the game is good. I think I recall from about 3 weeks ago that Bell had sold his shares in a company for about £50 million and remarking at the time that it was unlikely to be coincidental.

Just need Moshiri to accept the offer now.

I still have this horrible feeling that Moshiri will go with somebody that isn't interested in the club long-term but wants to flip us in a season or two.

We could do with somebody thinking 10 years ahead.

Taken at his word here Paul implies MSD / DFO would have input and therefore you’d assume investment rather than simply being lenders.

If Paul knows it’s just a loan his post is pretty disingenuous and designed to whip up support for bidders he clearly supports.

I do have concerns that Bell, Downing and supporters like Esk are name dropping to put dollar signs in people’s eyes when it may simply be a lender.

Its really that, that has stopped me in my tracks, i presumed it was just a refinancing arrangement, but Paul strongly infers that they will take an investment/governance stake and a funding position beyond third party.

There’s still very little point being rich.

Clearing debts is the best thing that can come from it, which in turn will free up some cash flow and P&S wiggle room.

As things stand though, no matter how rich an owner is, they are limited in ability to spend. Rich is better than poor. Mega rich is not much better than merely rich.

Competent owners are what we need.

Surely the wealthier the businessman is, the more competent they are ? (Talking self made here).

Seen this narrative a few times swilling around the fanbase which doesn't make sense to me.

Typically speaking, a bloke living in a 5 bedroom detached house will be more successful in the employment sector than one living in a bedsit.

Once our PSR worries are over, having an owner who can back us to the hilt in the transfer window is far more advantageous than one who cannot, or needs to borrow money off financiers / sell players.

The concern I have with Bell & Dowling, is that we may go full circle as a fambase and end up back in a scenario where if things dont go to plan, you'll have a split fanbase, one wanting investment and another being blindly defensive of two local evertonian owners who "love the club".

Bill Kenwright had manifested this plucky underdog narrative for many years and I still think a lot of our fans have a weak spot for it.

Truth be told, Kenwright lending money off Mr Green isnt a million miles away from Bell & Dowling lending money off MSD. I just do not see what is exciting about these pair if Dell is not part of a consortium buying equity in the club.

I see them as short term solutions to the clubs problems, I cant see how they manage to own a big club in the Premier League that has ambition to push on into the european places without pumping us full of loans.

Thats why I included the option 'C' in my post...its extremely unlikely (as is B) but that is what an actual 'backer' would do.

I think the nature of the relationship would be of the debt restructuring nature. Straightforward, in which case its not 'backing'.

Though im intrigued why that word has been used if its something so straightforward.

Any thoughts on that?
I think you're probably right. The FO would highly likely be willing to refinance our debt at a much better rate than we're currently paying whilst still making a very respectable amount for themselves.

A quick look his bio doesn't suggest he's particularly interested in sports (any sports) but who knows? The World Cup just around the corner things are only going to ramp up in the US.

'B' would be nice, but of the two long shots 'C' is probably more likely. We're one of the stadia selected for the next Euros and I'm sure more than a handful would be keen to have a named stadium featured in all the marketing collaterals and on the TV broadcasts.

Whoever comes it, it's clear that there's ALWAYS been a strong interest from multiple parties in Everton, which makes the months wasted by our owner on 777 even more frustrating

Edit! Edit! Edit!

This is a few years old, but......

Taken at his word here Paul implies MSD / DFO would have input and therefore you’d assume investment rather than simply being lenders.

If Paul knows it’s just a loan his post is pretty disingenuous and designed to whip up support for bidders he clearly supports.

I do have concerns that Bell, Downing and supporters like Esk are name dropping to put dollar signs in people’s eyes when it may simply be a lender.

I do not mind the esk, however he has form for this.

I remember him tweeting that Thornton bloke from that US group who were looking at us prior to MSP/777 had a net worth of $30 billion. In actual fact he isnt even a billionaire he just was high up in a company with assets of that amount.

I dont believe it was a mistake from Esk as he is a clever guy when it comes to business. You can only therefore speculate that he was trying to drum up support for this group with misleading information. Easy to do when you look at the sheer amount of feeble minds on social media, even now there are masses believing Dell is chucking his wealth at us like some Sheikh Mansour.

I do not mind the esk, however he has form for this.

I remember him tweeting that Thornton bloke from that US group who were looking at us prior to MSP/777 had a net worth of $30 billion. In actual fact he isnt even a billionaire he just was high up in a company with assets of that amount.

I dont believe it was a mistake from Esk as he is a clever guy when it comes to business. You can only therefore speculate that he was trying to drum up support for this group with misleading information. Easy to do when you look at the sheer amount of feeble minds on social media, even now there are masses believing Dell is chucking his wealth at us like some Sheikh Mansour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back