Wildlife in your Garden

Last year this one visited my garden, I looked it up and it was a hornet mimic hoverfly.
View attachment 121907
Some of the mimics are brilliant. The tell tale with this one is the lack of a 'Wasp like waist'
I posted a pic of a hoverfly that mimics a bee earlier in this thread.
Not a bee.

This is a perfectly harmless hoverfly. Apparently there are nearly 300 species of hoverfly in Britain.
I think, (If my google searching is correct), this little fellow is called 'Volucella bombylans' lol

View attachment 61635

I recently replaced the fence panels along one side of the garden as the old fence had been there since Adam was a lad.
Being the tightwad that I am, I saved the rotting old panels in order to salvage any wood that could be reused.
Today I finally got round to taking them apart. @Bilbo would have been in his element. I have never seen so many insects and bugs in my life.
Spiders, Woodlice, Earwigs, Centipedes and all manner of unidentifiable creepy crawlies. lol
A Robin was scurrying along just behind me collecting beakfuls of the things. He must have felt as if all his Birthdays had come at once. lol

I recently replaced the fence panels along one side of the garden as the old fence had been there since Adam was a lad.
Being the tightwad that I am, I saved the rotting old panels in order to salvage any wood that could be reused.
Today I finally got round to taking them apart. @Bilbo would have been in his element. I have never seen so many insects and bugs in my life.
Spiders, Woodlice, Earwigs, Centipedes and all manner of unidentifiable creepy crawlies. lol
A Robin was scurrying along just behind me collecting beakfuls of the things. He must have felt as if all his Birthdays had come at once. lol
Think I remember reading that Robins had learnt over time to follow larger animals for kicking up dirt and unsettling bugs and this had led to them following gardeners about.
Growing up on a farm, swallows used to circle and dive around the quad and tractors if you were going through a field as all the insects try to bolt from the grass. Many birds have got more brains than people realise. Except pheasants of course

Think I remember reading that Robins had learnt over time to follow larger animals for kicking up dirt and unsettling bugs and this had led to them following gardeners about.
Growing up on a farm, swallows used to circle and dive around the quad and tractors if you were going through a field as all the insects try to bolt from the grass. Many birds have got more brains than people realise. Except pheasants of course

My parents have a Robin that comes into the kitchen and sits on a kitchen unit waiting for food !

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back