Transfer Rumour Wilfried Gnonto

You've totally lost me here...

Why would "any sale now would have to be for more than we bought him for".

That doesn't make any sense.

He was signed for £21.5mil with £4mil in add ons on a 4 year contract.

We could make a PSR profit at £16.2mil. An actual profit at £22mil.

So why do i "need" to stop spitting facts?

Did… did you just say “spitting facts”??

Yup but it's why people like zat suggesting selling and then throwing shed loads at a couple of players are frankly bonkers, yes initially for that season you can just about juggle the numbers, but the following seasons you've given yourself a massive car crash situation.

So say you offload 20m worth, you could in theory sign two 50m players over five year deals each and you'd break even, 20 incoming on the books, fievthst season 20 outgoings.

But for the next four seasons you're having to find 20m from player sales each season to just pay for those players.

It's why in great part the club is so financially screwed up with p&s.

Take the season we splurged 200m for the next 4/5 years we had 40/50m ticking on the books from that...
The types of players he is on about are not coming to play in a Dyche team.

Yup but it's why people like zat suggesting selling and then throwing shed loads at a couple of players are frankly bonkers, yes initially for that season you can just about juggle the numbers, but the following seasons you've given yourself a massive car crash situation.

So say you offload 20m worth, you could in theory sign two 50m players over five year deals each and you'd break even, 20 incoming on the books, fievthst season 20 outgoings.

But for the next four seasons you're having to find 20m from player sales each season to just pay for those players.

It's why in great part the club is so financially screwed up with p&s.

Take the season we splurged 200m for the next 4/5 years we had 40/50m ticking on the books from that...

Basically one day it catches up, and we have hit the moment it catches up.

Basically one day it catches up, and we have hit the moment it catches up.

I'd say it caught up with us 3 years ago in reality, but COVID bought us a two season break before the crap truly hit the fan last season.

I'll also say something else if not for COVID I think the club could very well have been in last season's situation 2 years earlier with worse results in terms of penalties and no way out of it the next season also - wed have had 2-3 seasons of points deductions and almost certainly - actually certain we'd have been relegated.

We actually still got caught but at the tail end phase of the financial implosion from our transfer dealings, the covid stuff allowed two of the worst oh [Poor language removed] years to be obfuscated hugely.

We are nearly out of the mire now mate, but it requires us to still be very very careful that we are balancing the books, a couple of really stupid decisions or even one season of a heavy spend would put us right back into the same troubling spiral.

I'd say it caught up with us 3 years ago in reality, but COVID bought us a two season break before the crap truly hit the fan last season.

I'll also say something else if not for COVID I think the club could very well have been in last season's situation 2 years earlier with worse results in terms of penalties and no way out of it the next season also - wed have had 2-3 seasons of points deductions and almost certainly - actually certain we'd have been relegated.

We actually still got caught but at the tail end phase of the financial implosion from our transfer dealings, the covid stuff allowed two of the worst oh [Poor language removed] years to be obfuscated hugely.

We are nearly out of the mire now mate, but it requires us to still be very very careful that we are balancing the books, a couple of really stupid decisions or even one season of a heavy spend would put us right back into the same troubling spiral.

Yes all true. I think we are still in the midst of the recovery phase. Dyche and Thelwell for all their criticisms understand that in a way I doubt any manager post Moyes has really understood the importance of not wasting money.

And you are right when you say, we need to sell £50m+ of players a season. We have always had too. It should have also been the approach, and when you think that way you start to conduct yourself differently.

If we can keep developing Brainthwaite and maybe get close to £100m for him, that starts to give a bit more wriggle more, as it did for Villa with Grealish and West Ham with Rice. A new stadium that brings in maybe another 20-30m in revenue, hopefully some more money from concerts and sponsorships will also help. As should hopefully clearing some debt down and restructuring on a lower rate. That could easily see the club in 50m-70m net better position.

Also @catcherintherye whilst we have done a great job if getting almost back into control of finances in terms of allowing us to do business again (well done thelwell) we've kinda ran out of assets to sell players wise now, there's very very little dead wood left we can use to create some room (Godfrey and Dobbin being almost the last we had I'd say)

If you use the model that until the new stadium starts altering the revenue system that we are a sell to buy club (a fair analysis) then we are in truth a sell 30m 'before' we can buy club

Yes all true. I think we are still in the midst of the recovery phase. Dyche and Thelwell for all their criticisms understand that in a way I doubt any manager post Moyes has really understood the importance of not wasting money.

And you are right when you say, we need to sell £50m+ of players a season. We have always had too. It should have also been the approach, and when you think that way you start to conduct yourself differently.

If we can keep developing Brainthwaite and maybe get close to £100m for him, that starts to give a bit more wriggle more, as it did for Villa with Grealish and West Ham with Rice. A new stadium that brings in maybe another 20-30m in revenue, hopefully some more money from concerts and sponsorships will also help. As should hopefully clearing some debt down and restructuring on a lower rate. That could easily see the club in 50m-70m net better position.

Yup, Braithwaithe sadly will have to be sold - not this season btw, he was never going this.

In order to maximise on a sake ehstbwe need to ensure us each season we have at least two very sellable and in demand assets, that way it allows us to dictate conditions or which one we sell depending on fair offers - you saw this happen with the sale of Onana.

Next season trust me if all we have to sell is Braithwaithe we will get low balled again, united new exactly what they were doing btw, we just got around it thanks to a bit of fortune, Luiz going to Bayern created a demand from villa that was unexpected (arsenal and the likes were basically hovering and delaying in order to get him a lot cheaper imo).

Until as you say revenue alters in the new gaff, we will still have to sell each season to stay out of issues though.

Even say a Braithwaithe sale for 100m won't alter that next season, because the season after we will still have the amortisation costs ticking (it's also why it's suicidal if we invest each season what we bring in like zat wants).

Last edited:
This is going to drag on again isn't it.
Leeds playing hardball with a downpayment.

Which is fair enough.

Still confidence it will get done. I do just hope they have alternatives lined up but the Lindstrom deal does buy some time at least - we've got a wide option in already.

Yup, Braithwaithe sadly will have to be sold - not this season btw, he was never going this.

In order to maximise on a sake ehstbwe need to ensure us each season we have at least two very sellable and in demand assets, that way it allows us to dictate conditions or which one we sell depending on fair offers - you saw this happen with the sale of Onana.

Next season trust me if all we have to sell is Braithwaithe we will get low balled again, united new exactly what they were doing btw, we just got around it thanks to a bit of fortune, Luiz going to Bayern created a demand from villa that was unexpected (arsenal and the likes were basically hovering and delaying in order to get him a lot cheaper imo).

Until as you say revenue alters in the new gaff, we will still have to sell each season to stay out of issues though.

Even say a Braithwaithe sake for 100m won't alter that next season, because the season after we will still have the amortisation costs ticking (it's also why it's suicidal if we invest each season what we bring in like zat wants)

Perhaps Chermiti can develop to be that other asset. There’s also Pickford. Even if Iroegbunam plays well his value will shoot up.

Thelwell has traded sensibly overall especially in the sales, bringing in 80 mill for Gordon Iwobi Dobbin Godfrey was extremely surprising and welcome. Even the fees received for Simms and Cannon have been good. It wasn’t nice watching Richarlison go but 60 mill is our second highest fee for a player who Spurs may now be looking to move on. When you consider the fees for Gabriel Jesus Sterling Gakpo Jota Diaz etc. he went for more than all of them.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.