Transfer Rumour Wilfried Gnonto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gnonto doesn't get game time at Spurs for me, he will literally be replacing Gil's spot on the bench, they also have Bergvall in the ranks this season who has much more to offer than Gnonto does.

Perhaps Chermiti can develop to be that other asset. There’s also Pickford. Even if Iroegbunam plays well his value will shoot up.

Thelwell has traded sensibly overall especially in the sales, bringing in 80 mill for Gordon Iwobi Dobbin Godfrey was extremely surprising and welcome. Even the fees received for Simms and Cannon have been good. It wasn’t nice watching Richarlison go but 60 mill is our second highest fee for a player who Spurs may now be looking to move on. When you consider the fees for Gabriel Jesus Sterling Gakpo Jota Diaz etc. he went for more than all of them.

Thelwell has been fantastic as moving on any player he can, the ones he has t been able too have been due to insane contracts handed to them in the past.

Minteh fwiw was more a deal of convenience I believe. He wasn't a first-choice target, more he was on the list and with DCL possibly going to Newcastle it could have worked for everyone. But this idea the club missed out on a huge, priority target that some have said is, as far as I'm aware, wide of the mark.

Philogene was clearly high on the list so perhaps.

Gnonto though - talks have been ongoing since June, according to the person I speak to whose info I have no real reason to doubt, because they don't go running their mouth publicly (or on shows etc).

They'll have a long list I'm sure. Well, they better do, at least.

Fully agree on Minteh btw, we are clearly recruiting based very heavily on analytics, all three of Philly, Gnoto and Minteh share a very big number of similar data - as does the young Colombian player at wolves too btw, of them all Philly cane out on top so think he was in fact the main target

…..amazing, over 70 pages on a player who we don’t seem definitely after;

View attachment 266392
I mean if you actually read the article before shoving a screenshot up it’s literally about us bidding for Gnonto. The Spurs thing seems like an error, they’re not even mentioned.

Fascinating insight from yourself & @catcherintherye.
It's something I struggle with tbh , I'd much rather we got back to talking footie.

But it really does hit home that we can't let players run their contracts down and walk away for nothing. This has been disastrous for the club for far too long.
Not just Dom , ( although this needs sorting out asap ) there are a few others that need shipping out before it's too late.

Far too many have come in and walked away having been paid handsomely over their contracts , it has to stop.
Buying young ambitious players that can give a few years service at the club and moved on to maximise the rewards are the way to go until theres more stability in the clubs finances .
Over to you Mr Thelwell.

Good post mate.

Yeah the club seems to have almost drawn a hard line at 25 for recruitment costing any actual fees, using over that age as frees or temporary loans (noticeable the only loan with a buy option is on the 24yo) so we are filling gaps with short term stop gaps, whilst trying to build a core squad of younger players whose value will mature as they reach their peak age (26-28) I'm guessing that's gonna be the age we do the math on keeping or selling for a lot of guys.

I mean if you actually read the article before shoving a screenshot up it’s literally about us bidding for Gnonto. The Spurs thing seems like an error, they’re not even mentioned.

Ah you see that’s what old Daniel Shrewdy wants you to think.

The original source is caught offside, who don't mention Spurs at all either.

£28m for Gnonto seems a lot.
It is definitely. But if it’s £28m with favourable payment terms, would save us lobbing another £5m of short term high interest borrowing over the next 12 months. The interest saving won’t make up the difference, but maybe we can also persuade the player to sign a 5 year deal to keep the amortisation low, but give him a sensible and realistic release clause that kicks in after year 2 or something. We need to be really smart with cash outflows, PSR, writedowns, contract length, wages etc. Signs are we have been trying to do this. There will be a middle ground that suits both clubs perfectly. Sadly we are dealing with Leeds.

It is definitely. But if it’s £28m with favourable payment terms, would save us lobbing another £5m of short term high interest borrowing over the next 12 months. The interest saving won’t make up the difference, but maybe we can also persuade the player to sign a 5 year deal to keep the amortisation low, but give him a sensible and realistic release clause that kicks in after year 2 or something. We need to be really smart with cash outflows, PSR, writedowns, contract length, wages etc. Signs are we have been trying to do this. There will be a middle ground that suits both clubs perfectly. Sadly we are dealing with Leeds.

The issue might be cash flow mate if Leeds want a lump of that up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back