Transfer Rumour Wilfried Gnonto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because mate nobody is remembering we have cash out this summer from players we've bought over the past few years, Beto for example is costing us about 10-12m this summer.

Btw of the up front cash from Onana Lyons sell on comes directly out of that initial payment too.
And we also have cash in from players we’ve sold in the past. As of the last accounts we had more owed to us in instalments than we owed.

Yes, Beto is an additional cost but unless you’re in the finance department I don’t think you can say that we’d need an additional 25m sale to cover a 25m buy when we’ve just had a 50m sale.

…whilst I’m utterly in favour of analytics, I wonder if the stats totally reflect attitude and application. It’s why I think it’s also important to do homework on players we look to invest in. Posters will know my terminology about ‘playing like the game matters’ (something I think is a weakness for Onana) so you want to watch these lads play and ask a few questions about their professionalism and team ethic.

It’s the doubt I have about Gnonto but if he arrives I’m hoping it’s not as much of an issue as I’ve witnessed.

I share the same doubt mate, all I can say is that on recruitment so far pretty much every one ticks that box you like (maybe with the exception of Onana)

In short Dave, Thelwell is recruiting based heavily on analytics.
Gnoto hits certain metrics we are obviously looking at (exceptionally hard working out of possession, very good opposition half defensive stats etc, has the pace we have prioritised as well.
The team player thing really originated from him trying to force through a move to us last season. On is he a team player though - very much so, the data supports that up as well)
Not sure were you get Ndiaye not being a team player from btw, similarly analytics show the polar opposite as do various comments from former managers and players who've stated the complete opposite
Gnonto and Ndiaye both carry the ball a lot and prefer getting shots off.

I'm not sure we can get away with a lot of that.

And we also have cash in from players we’ve sold in the past. As of the last accounts we had more owed to us in instalments than we owed.

Yes, Beto is an additional cost but unless you’re in the finance department I don’t think you can say that we’d need an additional 25m sale to cover a 25m buy when we’ve just had a 50m sale.

I do know that on incomings outgoings we've been trying to lopside it on the short term in our favour, Huge initial percentage on selling in terms of first tear payment (to the extent we are likely knocking money off the deal we could get to prioritise this), delayed outgoings in purchases. All teams do this to a greater or lesser degree so no big thing.

But can only go from available info, last season we had zero money to pay up front for Beto, literally nothing.

What available cash we have from sales is also impacted by certain other factors, we are haemorrhaging money from loan repayments.

Yes we had a 50m sale - what part of that we actually received in the bank this year is unknown but I'd be surprised if it was more than 60% say. So that's more like 30m in, Lyon then receive their % from that so between 2.5-4m depending on the % in the clause.

So we are already down to more like 26-27m, loan for Lindstrom 2.5 gone, initial payment on Ndiaye - say 30% so another 5 gone, we've bought more than we've sold recently on the drip - nearly all if not all the Gordon fee was up front for example. Beto we have the bill to pay this summer which as I said is approx 12m, every signing bonus for this season chips away and adds up also.

All in all it adds up to 'not a huge amount left', certainly if Leeds are demanding 15m up front as some reported, then we'd either not have it - maybe why we are not getting him yet, or it'd clean us out, meaning zero more capability of negotiating in essence (we'd be left in the situation of last season of having to take whoever was willing to take no payment up front line within Beto)

An additional decent sale - especially if it's Beto btw, blows that away as it creates breathing room to negotiate.

They need to decide ASAP if there is a deal to be done or not. This is 12 months now.
Yeah it feels like it’s now a point of principle for Leeds and that’s just going to make it more expensive. If we’re talking about sums like 25m there are plenty of other options, if we even need to drop that much on a winger at all.

Yeah it feels like it’s now a point of principle for Leeds and that’s just going to make it more expensive. If we’re talking about sums like 25m there are plenty of other options, if we even need to drop that much on a winger at all.

I prefer the look of Asprilla at Wolves over this lad as well. Got to figure the price would be considerably lower also.

I prefer the look of Asprilla at Wolves over this lad as well. Got to figure the price would be considerably lower also.
Think Asprilla's a quality player tbh, but he could well end up costing us more overall than Gnonto. Think Watford are in a position like we are with Branthwaite - will only sell for top dollar. Whereas the sticking point with Leeds, according to reports, seems less around value and more around upfront payments.

There's also the fact that Asprilla is an actual right winger and not just someone who can do a job out there but is better elsewhere, like Harrison, McNeil, Lindstrom, Gnonto and N'Diaye.

Think Asprilla's a quality player tbh, but he could well end up costing us more overall than Gnonto. Think Watford are in a position like we are with Branthwaite - will only sell for top dollar. Whereas the sticking point with Leeds, according to reports, seems less around value and more around upfront payments.

Yeah they are not similar players either really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back