Will Martinez ever lead us to the Champions League?

Will Martinez lead us into the Champions League at any time during his tenure?

• Yes

• No

• Selection of breads and cheeses

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he absolutely has a plan, i'm not his biggest fan but to say he doesn't know what he's doing or trying to do is clueless.

He came in and instantly had a impact on the youth system, got them playing and training coherently as to what the first team do, to make it easier for them to come in and play in the same type of system that they would have been playing for a few years by the time they come into the first team fold.

We don't have loads of money, so he's banking on making smart investments in first team players, young first team players at that, and then having a solid youth system that will produce good players, and in turn slowly try to improve and get us up the table.

His first season was fantastic, and whilst our last season was poor, we did extremely well in europe with a young group, most of which hadn't played in a competition like that, barkley, rom, mccarthy, stones.

It was a learning curve, something we will learn from, and that's what he's planning on clearly, having a group of top young talent who will learn and improve over the years.

This is a big season, and i actually think we'll surprise a few this season, even though i have some doubts it's madness to think he doesn't have a plan, he's a good manager, he has his faults but planning for the future isn't one of them.

he absolutely has a plan, i'm not his biggest fan but to say he doesn't know what he's doing or trying to do is clueless.

He came in and instantly had a impact on the youth system, got them playing and training coherently as to what the first team do, to make it easier for them to come in and play in the same type of system that they would have been playing for a few years by the time they come into the first team fold.

We don't have loads of money, so he's banking on making smart investments in first team players, young first team players at that, and then having a solid youth system that will produce good players, and in turn slowly try to improve and get us up the table.

His first season was fantastic, and whilst our last season was poor, we did extremely well in europe with a young group, most of which hadn't played in a competition like that, barkley, rom, mccarthy, stones.

It was a learning curve, something we will learn from, and that's what he's planning on clearly, having a group of top young talent who will learn and improve over the years.

This is a big season, and i actually think we'll surprise a few this season, even though i have some doubts it's madness to think he doesn't have a plan, he's a good manager, he has his faults but planning for the future isn't one of them.

Nice post mate. Good to see some optimism hope the rest of us have it too.

Refreshing reading

He's definitely someone i'm on the fence about, whilst i can sit there admirably and look at the wonders he has done with the youth the emergence of Barkley and Stones, and the signings such as Henen, Galloway, Rodriguez, Lukaku, Deulofeu, Besic indicate he does have a fantastic vision for us. But then you look at his tactics at times, and you see that he's more naive than Moyes, unless he can pass an excessive amount, and unless teams go out and attack us, we can't attack them back.

I know I should be patient, but it's 21 years next year, and it's painful to watch. We need trophies now.

We came close in his first season. It was a great blend of his fresh approach and the defensive stability Moyes gave us.

Obviously we struggled last year and that was mostly down to teams having adapted their tactics to nullify us. We're a good team but we haven't got those magic players to unlock a defence and win a game by themselves often enough, so if a team is well drilled and sit back we inevitably struggle.

But regardless of tactics, the main reason why we won't be getting Champions League football is because we don't have the finances. It'd take an extraordinary season for us to finish above 3 of Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and United.

I think last season was a Thursday:Sunday learning curve.

Europe was good but we suffered from the travelling times aspect.

I have a hunch we're going back in the right direction.

I'm not buying that tbh, teams just had us figured out and we were very easy to play against.

Even without Europa football we were extremely poor throughout the season.

There are cracks in the top 4 armour (imo). City and Arsenal are nailed on but Untied and Chelski (as both currently take the field) are vulnerable. However if Mourinho throws caution to the wind and plays his 'young guns', they are a shoo-in. Liverpool are not good enough to fill any vacuum, but as Martinez currently structures us, neither are we (by miles)...Swansea????

We're 4 games in, mate. If we're going by any form of logic Chelsea and United will finish around 20 points ahead of us (minimum).

Obviously freak incidents occur but their squads are just in a different world to ours. Then always be depressed by the fact if it looks like they'll miss out on the Champions League they'll spend £100m in January whilst we'll look to get Victor Moses in on loan.

We're 4 games in, mate. If we're going by any form of logic Chelsea and United will finish around 20 points ahead of us (minimum).

Obviously freak incidents occur but their squads are just in a different world to ours. Then always be depressed by the fact if it looks like they'll miss out on the Champions League they'll spend £100m in January whilst we'll look to get Victor Moses in on loan.
Yes, I agree...we are no show

On what evidence? Of course he has a plan. Whether his plan will work out obviously remains to be seen.
Based on what the club has done since he got here. He's not doing much to show that he'll be the one to take the club up a notch. All he's pretty much done is implement some pretty tippy tappy football, and that's something any spanish manager could've done.

In order for our club to go up a level, we're gonna need more than that. We're gonna need someone to get creative in the market, take some proper risks. That's not happening at the club during his reign. Look at what he's done in the market. Basically stripped Wigan off their players and signed a whole load of duds that aren't going to take us anywhere.

Playing squad is the most important aspect of a club. If we had quality players all over, we'd compete for top 4. Considering we don't have in our academy a host of future superstars, all that quality is gonna have to come from the market. Since he's been here how many of his signings are the sort that could do something special here during his tenure? Only Lukaku and Deulofeu have that ability to be world class players, everyone else he's brought in is a mid level player. Some better than others, but mid level anyways.

Based on what the club has done since he got here. He's not doing much to show that he'll be the one to take the club up a notch. All he's pretty much done is implement some pretty tippy tappy football, and that's something any spanish manager could've done.

In order for our club to go up a level, we're gonna need more than that. We're gonna need someone to get creative in the market, take some proper risks. That's not happening at the club during his reign. Look at what he's done in the market. Basically stripped Wigan off their players and signed a whole load of duds that aren't going to take us anywhere.

Playing squad is the most important aspect of a club. If we had quality players all over, we'd compete for top 4. Considering we don't have in our academy a host of future superstars, all that quality is gonna have to come from the market. Since he's been here how many of his signings are the sort that could do something special here during his tenure? Only Lukaku and Deulofeu have that ability to be world class players, everyone else he's brought in is a mid level player. Some better than others, but mid level anyways.
Barkley and Stones are both v. Good players who he's brought through into the first team, and there's supposed to be some very good youngsters coming through the ranks at all levels.
He's talked about the plan being to build a squad core of exciting young players as seen in Lukaku, Besic, Stones, Barkley, Del e.t.c and bolster that with players from the youth and the occasional buy. Whether it is an approach that pays off remains to be seen but you can't say he doesn't have a plan.

We have some good players, keeping ahold of them long enough to gain success is going to be the biggest issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back