Will Martinez ever lead us to the Champions League?

Will Martinez lead us into the Champions League at any time during his tenure?

• Yes

• No

• Selection of breads and cheeses

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what the club has done since he got here. He's not doing much to show that he'll be the one to take the club up a notch. All he's pretty much done is implement some pretty tippy tappy football, and that's something any spanish manager could've done.

In order for our club to go up a level, we're gonna need more than that. We're gonna need someone to get creative in the market, take some proper risks. That's not happening at the club during his reign. Look at what he's done in the market. Basically stripped Wigan off their players and signed a whole load of duds that aren't going to take us anywhere.

Playing squad is the most important aspect of a club. If we had quality players all over, we'd compete for top 4. Considering we don't have in our academy a host of future superstars, all that quality is gonna have to come from the market. Since he's been here how many of his signings are the sort that could do something special here during his tenure? Only Lukaku and Deulofeu have that ability to be world class players, everyone else he's brought in is a mid level player. Some better than others, but mid level anyways.

Ledson Kenny Holgate Henen Garbutt Galloway...

I just can't see it.

Even performing at the levels of 2 seasons ago it's a giant ask with the money rich clubs above us. Arsenal may not have spent much but they already have world class players.

Based on what the club has done since he got here. He's not doing much to show that he'll be the one to take the club up a notch. All he's pretty much done is implement some pretty tippy tappy football, and that's something any spanish manager could've done.

In order for our club to go up a level, we're gonna need more than that. We're gonna need someone to get creative in the market, take some proper risks. That's not happening at the club during his reign. Look at what he's done in the market. Basically stripped Wigan off their players and signed a whole load of duds that aren't going to take us anywhere.

Playing squad is the most important aspect of a club. If we had quality players all over, we'd compete for top 4. Considering we don't have in our academy a host of future superstars, all that quality is gonna have to come from the market. Since he's been here how many of his signings are the sort that could do something special here during his tenure? Only Lukaku and Deulofeu have that ability to be world class players, everyone else he's brought in is a mid level player. Some better than others, but mid level anyways.
Wow.

Europa league is a great competition and platform to prepare for Champions League
It is at that. We just struggled with the depth required to compete on both fronts, particularly after we basically had to deal with a procession of key players being injured and struggling to kick into form. Had a full xi out at one stage, and a squad of our size failed to cope. We looked the form team in the Europa til Alcaraz destroyed us. Would have been a different story if Stones was fit for the game IMO.

Those lads don't have stones/Barkley talent...come off it.

How often did you see Baines at Garbutts age play mate, can tell you right now he wasn't anywhere near as good as he was at 25-26 for us. try comparing a 21-22 year old Garbutt to a similar age Baines is way fairer on the lad.

As for the others, I'm guessing you've not seen either Ledson, Kenny, Henen or Holgate more than once or twice if at all. As for Galloway maybe reserve judgement until you've seen him play his actual position instead of filling in at lb, i seem to remember Stones looked pretty poor as a rb for us in the few games he played their early on as well. The lad clearly has all the talent you would want - let him get some experience before casting judgement

In a way he already has taken us to the Champions League. We have a phenomenal bunch of players, all who in their own right have the confidence and style to be playing for some phenomenal clubs. That they have said, 'yes, I'm here to play for Everton' that makes me feel we're a Champions League club, in certain, phenomenal ways. And the fans, they support the club as if they were Champions League fans. From start to finish their is a phenomenal hush around the stadium like those corporate shells of grounds you see around Europe. And the Chairman, he says to everyone, 'This is a Champions League sized club'. So, yes, I'm pleased to say we're going in the right direct and I'm pleased to be supporting a phenomenal, Champions League winning club.

There isn't a manager in the world who could fill the squad with quality players on our budget ffs. It's absolutely ridiculous for anybody to expect that. Obviously some signings won't pay off and we don't have the money to splash on endless replacements when they don't, that's an issue you need to take up with the board, not Martinez.

For what it's worth I think he's done more good than bad in the transfer market. I don't know how you can say he's not took any risks when he's just spent £10m on two players none of us have heard of, and you're writing them off before they've even played. If you really can't see and appreciate the focus he's putting on the youth, bringing quality youngsters in to bring through then you must have an agenda against the man because that's about as creative as you can be when you don't have the luxuries of Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc. It's going to take time.

Not to mention he's instilled some pride back into the club. Talking us up to get in the CL, win leagues, hasn't allowed anybody belittle us or be bullied. He recognises what a massive club this is. Give me that over knives to a gunfight any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back