Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Heath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheedy

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Cheese footballers : others whom I didn't see, Royle, Vernon, Ball etc

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
There are some players where you almost start celebrating as soon as they’re in behind the defence and we haven’t had one of them in ages sadly

Lukaku was the very best of them for me as a 35 year old, even better than the Yak, Mirallas, Kanchelskis, both Rooney ages, anyone I saw. What’s crazy is he wasn’t just great one on one he was lethal on the end of a cross too.

I just don’t understand what happened to Rom that one semi final against United. He could have been a hero for life (especially after he destroyed Chelsea in the quarter final). Interestingly he’s missed big chances in lots of big games since leaving too.
I always remember Rom missing 2 or 3 big chances for every 1 he would take.

Lukaku was a lethal finisher when he was with us - he was my favourite player when he was here, I was devastated when he left. Still not sure whether we've properly replaced him.

….Lineker, Lukaku and then Yakubu with the mention that Lineker played in a fantastic team. The big surprise with Lineker was the number of headers he scored which he has said was down to the delivery from both flanks.

The goals for the truly top finishers invariably cross the line near a goalpost and hit the side netting. They have a picture of where they are, where the goal is and where the goalkeeper should be. They also tend to be decent on left and right foot, clean strikers of the ball.

Vernon (101 in 176) & Pickering (56 in 97) have remarkable stats from the ‘60s and I’m privileged to have seen them both, great goalscorers.
Vernon was an excellent footballer as well as a striker: Lineker was a great goalscorer but a pudding of a footballer!

Lukaku was a lethal finisher when he was with us - he was my favourite player when he was here, I was devastated when he left. Still not sure whether we've properly replaced him.
We quite clearly have not replaced him... head and shoulders our best finisher this century.
Lineker was deadly but also rather fortunate to have unbelievable service to take advantage of.
Latchford was a natural finisher too, and outstanding in the air.
For sheer exhilaration, and truly putting his head where others would think twice about putting their boots, Andy Gray should be considered.
In his day and especially with the 69/70 title winning team, Joe Royle bagged some terrific goals - Leeds away in a 2-1 loss was an astonishing diving header as I'm sure @Joey66 and @Eggs will confirm

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back