2023/24 Sean Dyche

I agree with the Thelwell point of view. I think we are right to be frustrated at what recruitment has become after spending and wasting so much money in the past. But that isn't on him, we were frustrated with the length of time it took him to bring players in this year but we have had to bring players in without virtually spending any actual money this window and he has had to operated extremely creatively in order to do this

With Dyche, as I made the point earlier, because the club has been run into the ground the way it has, Its almost impossible to judge whether he is the right man to manage Everton. Because right now our club isn't Everton. This isnt the same club I have supported for the last 40 odd years. Even in the dark days of the 90s, when we struggled it always felt like we were underachieving, It felt like the club could and should be better than the results and league positions we were getting . Whereas now, where we are is a true reflection of where we are at as a club. Obviously thats not good enough and the board take that responsibility

So although this is a depressing reality of what our club has become we must also remember that although we are rubbing shoulders with the likes of Luton, Burnley and Sheff Utd this is their ceiling. Our ceiling is much higher and once Everton sorts out this financial mess it has got itself into we have the capacity to get ourselves back up to the higher places in the table and that is when we know whether Dyche has what it takes to manage the real Everton

The sad thing is whether Everton can ever become again one of the elite clubs is not so certain. But becoming a top 10 club will become reality again. Unless we are taken over by a country, clubs like Everton and Villa who are both proper historically and traditionally big clubs may only cause the so called top six/seven to cautiously look over their shoulders at us rather than look at us above them
I understand your stance on Dyche because of the state the club has been reduced to by the very poor way it has been run over many years by a man patently not capable of handling any football club, with Dyche I think he rescued us from almost certain relegation last season and on that basis alone I think he deserves a couple of season to show he can move the club up another level, the squad is still very light especially in defence and central midfield and he will do well to keep us up again.

I understand your stance on Dyche because of the state the club has been reduced to by the very poor way it has been run over many years by a man patently not capable of handling any football club, with Dyche I think he rescued us from almost certain relegation last season and on that basis alone I think he deserves a couple of season to show he can move the club up another level, the squad is still very light especially in defence and central midfield and he will do well to keep us up again.
I fully agree. When I said it was impossible to judge whether Dyche was the right man it was aimed more at the idea of people saying he wasnt good enough because of where we are in the league and his win record etc. I dont think we can make that judgement with the way the club is at the moment. It is almost an impossible job. We need the club to be in a more stable position before we can start assessing him in that respect. We have a couple more tough seasons ahead and then I am hopeful we can start to recover. I am happy enough for him to continue in his role in that time.

The last thing we need is for another manager to come in, spend 6 months trying to figure out what they think the issues are that are preventing us from playing the style they want us to play and then starting transfer recruitment from scratch again. You can just see a new manager come in and say that the problem with Everton is that they have all these big strikers and what we need is little nimble strikers and we are back to square one again

Graham Potter turned down the Lyon job, I’m convinced he’s smelling blood in the water at Goodison.

I think he wants to replace Dyche this season.
There is something floating in the water alright and it’s not blood.

He would be mad to consider it considering he needs to rebuild his reputation, and we’d be mad to think he could get Brighton performances/results out this squad (that we are largely stuck with apart from transient loans each summer window).

Graham Potter turned down the Lyon job, I’m convinced he’s smelling blood in the water at Goodison.

I think he wants to replace Dyche this season.
No chance, the last time there was he refused due to the off field issues here and they are far far worse these days. We defo need a move coach type like him but he isn't the right guy imo.

Interesting for any fellow nerds on here.

Attachments

• 1694093926779.png
    1694093926779.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 19

Good teams over perform, bad teams under perform.

I really try, but I just cannot get along with the expected guff.
Fair enough. I'm not his biggest advocate. But at the end of the day these stats prove he's coached the team well enough and been let down by individual quality. How would any other manager do differently?

Fair enough. I'm not his biggest advocate. But at the end of the day these stats prove he's coached the team well enough and been let down by individual quality. How would any other manager do differently?
Tbh I’m not sure but it may be someone could find a better system for the players or bring through a few young ones. But what I do know is results will be his downfall if we don’t pick up a few wins soon. The board will be terrified of relegation.

Sorry, I was making a point about xG oblique to the thread - but yes, you're right - it does at least highlight that the team is underperforming where it ought to be, and as you say, that's down to individual players at least as much as it is the manager.

Tbh I’m not sure but it may be someone could find a better system for the players or bring through a few young ones. But what I do know is results will be his downfall if we don’t pick up a few wins soon. The board will be terrified of relegation.
If you look at the two home games so far, we created enough chances to win the game twice over. The only criticism you can throw at the manager is "why is he picking these players then?" To which the obvious answer is "because who else is there?"

If you look at the two home games so far, we created enough chances to win the game twice over. The only criticism you can throw at the manager is "why is he picking these players then?" To which the obvious answer is "because who else is there?"
Well that’s true. The fact is we haven’t had enough goals in the team and that’s been a problem since before he took over. Hopefully Beto and Danjuma will improve things but equally we can’t seem to keep a clean sheet which is a huge issue. It’s potentially small margins for us. If someone else can coax a bit more out of this group of players then that can make all the difference.

Not saying he should be sacked now and I don’t expect he will be but he’ll be under a lot of pressure if we don’t pick up wins soon.