2024/25 Abdoulaye Doucoure

A complete enigma this guy. I've never been so conflicted over a footballer. When he is on it his workrate, pressing and box runs improve Everton. His goal's have kept us in this league....

....but he's been off it for a while now. And his ball technique is so so so poor (I'm convinced its the worst in the league, sub Beto levels) he has nowhere to hide when the goals have dried up.

But even then, when Doucs doesn't play we very rarely win. He's missed 36 league games since joining us, we have won 3 of those games. The last one being in Feb 2022 v Leeds. He instigates the press and offers an extra body in midfield. I think there are signs this part of his game is dropping off, perhaps with a tactics change if today is anything to go by, but if we don't replace it we are in serious trouble.

Mate his goals kept us in the league is very subjective imo.. I mean yes they have … but I view it as … him constantly ruining our attacks and momentum probably cost us more than the 7 goals a year he actually scored. If you put any semi competent attacking prem player in his position…. We would score more as a team and may not find ourselves needing to score goals like he did against Bournemouth.

Like Keane makes every player in the back line worse … doucs does the same in attack… number 10 is where teams used to play the most technically gifted player they had…. We play someone that is literally , the most limited footballer we have in the squad and he is one of the worst technical players in the league.

If he’s being deployed at all, he should be doing what Carlton Palmer used to do… run from box to box and occupy space … that’s it … he’s terrible and I hate him as a player.

Here's everything you need to know about Doucoure in his current role:

In his entire professional career before last season, he was called offside 19 times. Last season alone, he surpassed that with 21 calls, and got another 4 today.

He can not be allowed to play in an advanced position. He simply can not.

True but tbf he has had games where he has had an impact especially away with goals or as a runner from deep. But his physical powers seem to be waning and we have a more skillful alternative but Dyche is the most safety first manager going he will have to be forced to use him in the ten

True but tbf he has had games where he has had an impact especially away with goals or as a runner from deep. But his physical powers seem to be waning and we have a more skillful alternative but Dyche is the most safety first manager going he will have to be forced to use him in the ten

I said last season he looks finished as a player since that hamstring injury, all the things he brought in terms of his physical attributes are now finished to a extent all we get is the obvious flaws game after game.

Need to seriously hope someone from Saudi bid on him, if he stays he plays and we all know that.

I think we all know his flaws but I was so confused with his inclusion yesterday given our approach to the game.

If we were gonna sit back, absorb pressure and try to hit Brighton on the break, then I'd understand why Dyche would want him there to help in transition.

But if we were going to try (emphasis on the word 'try') to play on the front foot, then why wasn't a more creative player in that role? The diag out to Harrison was a decent out ball, but we'd have caused them more problems if we had multiple ways to get in behind them.

I don't really know what Doucoure was in the team to do. Other than disrupt every attack we had by being five yards offside.

A complete enigma this guy. I've never been so conflicted over a footballer. When he is on it his workrate, pressing and box runs improve Everton. His goal's have kept us in this league....

....but he's been off it for a while now. And his ball technique is so so so poor (I'm convinced its the worst in the league, sub Beto levels) he has nowhere to hide when the goals have dried up.

But even then, when Doucs doesn't play we very rarely win. He's missed 36 league games since joining us, we have won 3 of those games. The last one being in Feb 2022 v Leeds. He instigates the press and offers an extra body in midfield. I think there are signs this part of his game is dropping off, perhaps with a tactics change if today is anything to go by, but if we don't replace it we are in serious trouble.
Doucs is the personification of the difference between Lampard and Dyche’s footballing philosophies. Lampard (for all he was crap) was trying to turn us into a better footballing team on the ball (why he was dropped).

Dyche on the other hand, is more interested in stopping the other side on the ball, which is why he was reinstated for his perceived ‘off the ball’ work. It had very little to do with his ability on the ball which is none existent.

Covers a lot of ground / works his socks off. Has scored quite a few important goals for the club over the last few seasons and that should not be lost on anyone.

Lacks a lot of quality and gets caught off side a lot.

If we can cash in a Saudi move it wouldn’t be the worst result.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.