2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsurprisingly, the joke went over your head.

And the fans loved Stones, people seem to go on about the dallying in the box v Spurs when he himself admitted he should have cleared it, but overall everyone knows he was an excellent footballer.
He got booed :lol:

Absolutely pathetic from Belgium that last night, thought he was one of the "better" players. Hopefully get a decent fee because I don't think we'll miss him at all.
Thought it was pathetic from both mate. Two of the most attacking and exciting teams in the comp (on paper) serving up an absolutely tedious game of football. Thats why when everyone goes on about Onanas performances in internationals it should be taken with a very large pinch of salt. Most of the games ive seen in the tournament have been the same slow and sideways football under no pressure on the ball. Its garbage and thats why i dont normally even watch it.

Yeah but we blast the same criticism at any young player - notably of late John Stones, etc.

We're not forcing him out, we just don't want him here as, uh, his... application isn't great? And he's not Paul Scholes. Solid.

It only took Rice about 200 games for WHAM to adapt his game and he became noticeably better in his last year there so fair enough - he's currently doing the EXACT same thing Onana does but for England and being lauded as doing something great and being irreplaceable :lol: But also players benchmarks are pointless as they vary from player to player - my benchmark then is Messi's inhuman progress from 16 and being a first team player instantly, why isn't anyone reaching that benchmark? Or in fact - Ronaldo looked like a selfish skinny player who might be a decent winger early on, but woah, time and effort invested in him paid back quite a bit (to go with his inhuman discipline when he went to United); still took him about 3 years to find his feet in a team that constantly won the title, mind.

Onana has done well with what little we have and needs a fluid team to pass to - same as any decent player; same as Gana - he looks utterly and completely lost when there's no movement around him and either passes back or instantly loses the ball. Same as Garner, same as any midfielder - same as our entire team screaming out for an attacking mid that drops deep instead of requiring hoofs, but that's a whole different point.

He'll do well in a better team and coach and I hope for his sake he gets exactly that - even if he hilariously stays at this level there's a need for the kind of player and he'll defo make a career out of it.
E: He also started the moves with great passes for some of Lukaku's plethora of disallowed goals. Stealing the ball and playing it forward perfectly, but that's not good enough as he doesn't dance through the entire team and slot.

Which is where you back up my point though. Took Rice lots of games to develop to get that big move at 24. (6 years at West Ham playing 30-50 games a season from 19). Onana hasn't cemented a place for Everton but yet is "good enough" for a big move.

At the moment he goes to a "bigger" club he's going to be a squad player and not a first teamer to push them to win things etc IMO.

Think it's why some aren't really fussed about him as he's not shown much in 2 seasons which would probably be different in another 2 seasons of regular football.

And you're exaggerating the point about benchmarks too. It's more about player comparisons. Rice isn't "world class" but IS in the top midfielders in European football for his role. Onana is looking to reach that.

And the John Stones thing was always down to being critical of his defensive ability at that young age, never his technical.

Reactions: MJA

They do, and most good players look way worse when they have no options at all.

And most players aren't 19-20 when they start receiving the same criticism he has - this is why we will never have prospects too. You give them time to develop, to make mistakes, to learn. 21 year old full international starter playing well in the last 16 of the Euros for his country - "I don't know what he offers, he's a nothing player, doesn't do enough, SELL". Okay then.
He has been here two full seasons - can you honestly say he has improved in anything he does now as to when he started, he looks, to me, no better in any way than when he came.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back