2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has to reach it though and lots of Belgian players tend to show loads then flatter to deceive when it comes down to the crunch. Luiz is a far better player imo.

yer not gonna disagree re onana, i don't get him still.

too many games just pass him by, i think he can be coached to be more consistent, but he deffo isnt ready YET for the top level.

Aside from some great ball winning tackles, he has done very little to impress me to be honest. Similarly, i never really saw what the fuss was with Pogba when he played in the prem ( different matter when he plays for France) so maybe, like Pogba he just isn't suited to the prem?

I think he can become a very good player .....but we can't afford to give him another season or two to see if he can make the step up. Hopefully we use his money wisely to strengthen. 50 mil for a player we won't miss is too good to refuse.
Agreed. Also to note even if he was brilliant for us it doesn’t matter, once a player has desire to leave the club if not worth the risk of keeping him .

What do you think the fee is?

Do you know what sell on we'd owe to Lille?

No point signing 20 year old unproven players, developing them if we're not going to make money.

His signing was never a priority at the time, but he's going to be a top, top player.

By the way of the wordings in the posts then the fee us going to be less then the £50m. So maximum we can hope for is £45m +£5m add ons.

so we spent £35m on him and lille have a 20% sell on fee that could be on profit, could not be.

So that means were making a profit of between a £8m-£1m. On a player we took a massive risk on. Its a absolutely pathetic deal for us imo.

£50m for Onana is great business, he was our worst midfielder last year and none of our midfielders would get us £50m.
Take it and run, there is a chance he could turn out to be decent and just more than a cheerleader, there is also a chance he could have another average season and end back in a foreign league in 18 months as another failure.

P.s. How are Villa spending all this money, there were rumours they would have to sell Watkins 2 months ago.

Vaulting myself:

He's got some phenomenal numbers, and his physical gifts are apparent.

What I can't shake, though, is after months of winless football (yes, we beat Burnley 1-0 bfd), all the points deduction blather, the 777 stuff, even the Dyche head-slap of Patterson -there was a squad in a sour, curdled mood in the aftermath of our debacle away to Chelsea; Dyche and the squad evidently had a very frank and open airing of the grievances at Finch Farm; "big changes" were promised; the squad has been in top form ever since, in results, performances, and spirit - and the biggest visible change on the pitch is that Onana was benched.

I could go on, but it does seem to be that simple for me - the collective suddenly looked much keener and sharper with him not in it.

Which is pretty damning.

The run of great form we had at the end of the season coincided with his benching.

So although we have to add more quality and more depth, if we have the same midfield that we played our best football with, except Ndaiye for Gomes (upgrade) and the addition of Irogbunem, I’m ok with that.

Not arsed really tbh. He couldnt even start for us toward the end of the season and we were playing well then.
Too many defensive midfielders in my opinion. Have gana and garner sit back defensively and get a centre mid who gets us moving forwards, who doesnt want to just receive ball and give it to someone else, and has that ability with better passing.

He's not being bought to replace Luiz.

Villa need cover / competition for Boubacar Kamara who's out until Christmas at least.

Can do both can't he? You've brought in Barkley and the lad from Juve as CMs. And it's a long season..

Emery will get a better tune out of him regardless.

Just don't expect it to happen overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back