2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
yer not gonna disagree re onana, i don't get him still.

too many games just pass him by, i think he can be coached to be more consistent, but he deffo isnt ready YET for the top level.
I don't think it helps that we don't really coach/develop players here, Id really like to see the DoF model done properly at some point and us having a proper head coach type in charge who just wants to spend 90% of their time on the training ground rather than these old style manager types we seem to go for all the time.

I get what you’re saying, but for me there was a clear disconnect from the importance of the situation and his brain.
It was about him not the club in that moment.

I understand your viewpoint mate, I get that. I dont have any issue with anyone who would hold a grudge, it's understandable.

What I will say though is that a 21-year-old at the time made a mistake, but anyone can miss a penalty. 21 year olds make mistakes all the time, yes it was a silly thing to do, but 21 year olds do silly things and hopefully learn from them.

I personally, can't hold a massive grudge for that. I do perhaps have a grudge that he is a young, athletic midfielder with bags of ability and yet it felt he never really gave 100% in a game. But I hold grudges to any footballer who has been given the career of a lifetime, has the talent and doesn't apply themselves.

It's what the whole frustration is with Dele Alli, putting aside what he has struggled with, its a player who can do wonderful things but hasn't applied himself.

Not arsed really tbh. He couldnt even start for us toward the end of the season and we were playing well then.
Too many defensive midfielders in my opinion. Have gana and garner sit back defensively and get a centre mid who gets us moving forwards, who doesnt want to just receive ball and give it to someone else, and has that ability with better passing.
IMG_6540.webp

💙

If this deal protects us from selling Branthwaite, then i'll take it. However he will become some player for them, only 22 has so much development in him.

£16m accoridng to NY Times.

he's done fairly litle of note at us though. No other set of fans would value him at much higher mate. Clearly, other clubs dont either.
We paid £35m for him

The deal is £50m, so you’d imagine a bit of that will be performance based. Let’s the base fee is £45m

So a £10m profit, minus the 20% owe to Lille (£2m) that’s around £8m profit

Spin it all you want, but it’s an awful deal.

I think our MO has moved to trying to get in players who are flexible and adaptable in multiple positions.

We have Gana, Garner, Timmy who are primarily DM/CMs. We also have Doucoure who could play in that position if needed, so if we get one more in to replace Onana which I suspect we will, that's decent cover. Perhaps we will keep Onyango too.

We have Doucoure and Ndiaye who can play at AM, and if we are working on a Lindstrom and Dele deal that adds two more players who can play in that position.

I still think we need to sign 3 or 4 players in different positions but I feel quite confident that we will get them in and I believe this summer we are targeting the right profile of players. Young, have experience in different leagues/Europe and have potential to tap into still.
The only reason we all tolerate Doucoure as a 'midfielder' is that he is the only one who scores goals. Move him back to no. 6 and watch his gangly style fail to trap a ball or make a pass and the crowd will go mad. We need a PROPER midfielder to replace Onana. Rodri style would be nice.

Jeez how we've fallen, selling our best talent to Aston kin Villa.

We paid £35m for him

The deal is £50m, so you’d imagine a bit of that will be performance based. Let’s the base fee is £45m

So a £10m profit, minus the 20% owe to Lille (£2m) that’s around £8m profit

Spin it all you want, but it’s an awful deal.
We don’t usually break even with our flop signings mate so it’s a start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back