2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s very very funny that people are hanging on to a single goal and using it to try and define our style.

Yes mate we don’t score a lot of goals from hoofball because hoofball is a bad way to try and score goals. But we do hoof the ball a lot. We do not take risks in possession. We do not play through teams regularly.

And fwiw that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. You said it yourself, many goals come from winning the ball high up (I wouldn’t agree that we’re the most adept at it but I digress) so avoiding that has merit. I just think we can be honest about what it is. We are not a team that places much emphasis on the midfield playing lots of passes and controlling a game.
I lost count of how many times we’d win the ball back in our own half in a good position and the very first pass to move up the field quickly would be dogshit. We lose the ball, pressure stays on.

How many counters we threw away because the midfielders are allergic to a through ball.

You’re right when you say we don’t place much emphasis on the midfield passing it, but in those key occasions where we need that pass in midfield, I have almost zero faith that they will be made with any sort of consistency, if at all.

The fact that Pickford’s kicking was a better bet than any of the midfielder’s passing was grim.

It’s very very funny that people are hanging on to a single goal and using it to try and define our style.

Yes mate we don’t score a lot of goals from hoofball because hoofball is a bad way to try and score goals. But we do hoof the ball a lot. We do not take risks in possession. We do not play through teams regularly.

And fwiw that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. You said it yourself, many goals come from winning the ball high up (I wouldn’t agree that we’re the most adept at it but I digress) so avoiding that has merit. I just think we can be honest about what it is. We are not a team that places much emphasis on the midfield playing lots of passes and controlling a game.
We don’t play through teams because the system is so rigid; we hoof it to a centre forward who has no support because again, the system is rigid. The football on offer is absolute dog and I find it utterly weird that people try to defend it

Prob should have ideally sold him few weeks ago to ensure no issues with PL next season re. our finances. Though Villa didn't have the cash then / hadn't performed at euros at that point?

Not arsed he's gone in the slightest if it means we keep Branthwaite this season.

Always thought he was too big for the club but his performances didn't back that up.

His cheerleading to the crowd was Phil Neville levels and means nothing unless you're backing that up on the pitch which by and large he didn't.

He definitely has potential to be a class player but also potential to just arrogantly Lukaku his career also.

Disappointed fee isn't bigger but it's not outrageously low and the sell on clause is something I've wanted for our sales for some time now.

He won't be particularly missed, provided adequate replacement is identified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back