2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watch the YouTube video of the goals we scored last season. Amazing how many of them come from us winning the ball in the opposition half and releasing players quickly.
This. The easiest way to score for a limited team, it worked.

people tend to overlook this and kept insisting we hoof.

Can’t really take you seriously when you’ve said we don’t pass forward and only hoof it. A rather simplistic binary view of a complicated game.
I mean the word only is a word you’ve introduced here not me. When we’re talking style there is obviously a mixing of everything and what we’re discussing mostly is how much we twist one dial versus the others. We go to the long ball more than basically anyone. It doesn’t mean we only do that, but I think it’s rather ridiculous to argue we aren’t going to it a lot. Bringing up that Newcastle goal to defend it kind of makes that point as I truly believe you’re smarter than to think a one minute spell defines a team.

A few thoughts:

Fee: £50mil is incredibly poor when an inferior Belgian player 'Lavia' went for £58mil last summer. Also, Caicedo was £115mil last summer.

Not sure why people dont know how much we signed him for, £33mil + 20% of profit to Lille.

Everton £46.6mil
Lille: £3.4mil

His book value will be around £19.8mil so its approx £26.8mil pure PSR profit + his wages.

Some posters are commenting that he wasn't very good at the euros. However, i heard a little birdie tell me that L'equipe had him in their team of the group stage. His ratings were also usually 2nd to only De Bruyne.

Other posts complain about a defensive midfielder not scoring many goals. Dont remember too many saying this about Busquets or Makelele.

Some saying he didnt play end of the season yet he bossed both Sheffield United and Arsenal in the final two games.

Villa: Monchi & Emery breaking the Villa transfer record to play him in his natural 6 anchor position which we have done maximum 4 times.

Iroegbunam replaces him in the squad. A year older than Onana was when he joined. Perhaps also Doucoure moves deeper like under Ancelotti. Big pressure on Iroegbunam to prove that he wasnt solely a PSR signing.

On paper he and the Chelsea player on loan (with a view to buy?) could be forward thinking, until you see this: https://www.transfermarkt.com/lesley-ugochukwu/verletzungen/spieler/711999

Hopefully the fee includes installments to at least take this over £60mil. So far it looks to be appalling business.

Next surely must be DCL, Maupay, Keane and Holgate.
The landscape has changed. Carlos and Paulinha are far better players in this position and the fees were similar.

I think you have to accept that you overvalue your favourites Zat.

Probably doing him a massive disservice, but I get the impression he won't fully switch on until he gets to play for a manager he really respects. Will that be Emery? Maybe, but I doubt it. He needs one of the big dogs to tell him, Amadou, right now, you're nobody. Do this, this, and this, and you have a chance. If you don't *plip* <dismissive hand gesture>.

Probably doing him a massive disservice, but I get the impression he won't fully switch on until he gets to play for a manager he really respects. Will that be Emery? Maybe, but I doubt it. He needs one of the big dogs to tell him, Amadou, right now, you're nobody. Do this, this, and this, and you have a chance. If you don't *plip* <dismissive hand gesture>.
Without sounding condescending.
Who's to say he will ever switch on?
The game is littered with players that can be great on there day, but that day is only 5 games or so a season.
It will be why he's going to villa (who i like but arent a huge huge upgrade) instead of arsenal, bayern, even utd etc

A few thoughts:

Fee: £50mil is incredibly poor when an inferior Belgian player 'Lavia' went for £58mil last summer. Also, Caicedo was £115mil last summer.

Not sure why people dont know how much we signed him for, £33mil + 20% of profit to Lille.

Everton £46.6mil
Lille: £3.4mil

His book value will be around £19.8mil so its approx £26.8mil pure PSR profit + his wages.

Some posters are commenting that he wasn't very good at the euros. However, i heard a little birdie tell me that L'equipe had him in their team of the group stage. His ratings were also usually 2nd to only De Bruyne.

Other posts complain about a defensive midfielder not scoring many goals. Dont remember too many saying this about Busquets or Makelele.

Some saying he didnt play end of the season yet he bossed both Sheffield United and Arsenal in the final two games.

Villa: Monchi & Emery breaking the Villa transfer record to play him in his natural 6 anchor position which we have done maximum 4 times.

Iroegbunam replaces him in the squad. A year older than Onana was when he joined. Perhaps also Doucoure moves deeper like under Ancelotti. Big pressure on Iroegbunam to prove that he wasnt solely a PSR signing.

On paper he and the Chelsea player on loan (with a view to buy?) could be forward thinking, until you see this: https://www.transfermarkt.com/lesley-ugochukwu/verletzungen/spieler/711999

Hopefully the fee includes installments to at least take this over £60mil. So far it looks to be appalling business.

Next surely must be DCL, Maupay, Keane and Holgate.

Mate you were always way off expecting £70 million minimum. He’s done nothing to warrant such a fee, as has just been proven.

The landscape has changed. Carlos and Paulinha are far better players in this position and the fees were similar.

I think you have to accept that you overvalue your favourites Zat.

Joao Palhinha is 29 years old. When many wanted us to sign Nunes (when we were linked) i said Palhinha was the superior player.

Not sure which 'Carlos' you mean?

I also have been saying we should bring in Wharton for the best part of 2 years.

Comparing Onana at 22 with Palhinha at 29 i see the following:

A: Bayern can watch Palhinha week in week out playing DM. They see Onana out of position as a CM.

B: Do clubs take a chance on Onana based on his Belgium form and the odd game where he's used as a DM with us?

C: Why would a £47.5mil 29 year old signing make sense for Bayern over a 22 year old £50mil player? They cant take any chances due to failures last season and need an instant impact player.

Does the Onana fee make sense at all?
Palhinha £47.5mil 29years old
Caicedo £115mil
Lavia £58mil
Onana £50mil !?!?!?!?

Joao Palhinha is 29 years old. When many wanted us to sign Nunes (when we were linked) i said Palhinha was the superior player.

Not sure which 'Carlos' you mean?

I also have been saying we should bring in Wharton for the best part of 2 years.

Comparing Onana at 22 with Palhinha at 29 i see the following:

A: Bayern can watch Palhinha week in week out playing DM. They see Onana out of position as a CM.

B: Do clubs take a chance on Onana based on his Belgium form and the odd game where he's used as a DM with us?

C: Why would a £47.5mil 29 year old signing make sense for Bayern over a 22 year old £50mil player? They cant take any chances due to failures last season and need an instant impact player.

Does the Onana fee make sense at all?
Palhinha £47.5mil 29years old
Caicedo £115mil
Lavia £58mil
Onana £50mil !?!?!?!?

The one good thing about us volleying him is we won't have to listen to you anymore going on about him Zat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back