2023/24 Andre Gomes

IMO his mentality will be a bit too lightweight for Dyche in long term. We've seen that in his career here and indeed was same at Valencia and Barca.

Dyche is trying to forge a tough to beat and resilient mentality amongst the regular starters and there's been great encouragement from the results over last three months to indicate it's working, especially away given the disgraceful results the club have churned out over last few years on the road.

I just can't see Gomes getting into that select group. On ability yes he'd be in a footballing 11 all day but you need more than that to win games regularly at prem level.

I think it's a case of transfer window coming up, he's still around and clearly training o.k so Dyche probably felt it was a sort of free hit game to give him some minutes to see how he does. No different to starting Ellis Simms at Old Trafford last season.
Dunno. I agree regarding the mindset that Dyche has worked to instill.

Gomes exemplified it more than anyone else on the pitch.

Part of the mentality is ruthlessness in attack. Both his goal and his play in the run up to Dom’s wrongly disallowed goal were examples of cut throat mentality. Contrast the unsatfsctory efforts of Dom on his other attempts, Danjuma a couple times, Garner etc.

I think our squad is tired but for whatever reason AG was the mentally strongest player in our side.

He could actually work in this team in the Doucoure role. He’s got Garner, Onana, McNeil and Harrison who are all incredibly hard working and reasonably athletic. He’s got the guile they don’t have. When he’s been in midfields with the likes of Siggurdson, Schnederlin, Allan, Davies etc there’s been no legs and we’ve been too easy to play through. If he can stay fit then current set up might well suit him.

How did he play when he came on? I missed the game. Any signs he might be able to be viable starting option??

He was excellent best player on the park I thought and made one for DCL which was cruelly ruled out by var, but scored a beauty to give us hope, alas not our day in front of goal.

Last edited: