2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, you said he was going to be an England international quality player. Now he’s 24 and a reserve for Norwich. Excuse me if I don’t think you’re all knowing when it comes to scouting and talent.

I also have a thing about people saying things like, “See I told you he was awesome,” after one performance, acting like they don’t also get loads wrong.
I was recently talking to someone I know with close ties to the club, specifically the younger players. We got onto Dowell, and he said he was the best football player at the club when he was here. Couldn't believe they let him go without getting a real chance.

It always seemed apparent to me that he needed games and he would come good. Instead, we paid an absolute fortune on the most expensive signing we've ever made and one who may well go down as arguably the worst signing in the clubs history.

The fact he's not playing for Norwich means very little to me, and to be honest, the fact he is being overlooked maybe a blessing in disguise for him.

As for Gordon, he had a really good game on Thursday. It's the first time I've ever thought he looked like a potential Premier league player, and he finally played with confidence and looked like he wanted to actually affect the game. The cross for the goal was sublime. If he can play like that more often, and work on his finishing, he could save us a lot of money over the next few years.

Last edited:
I was recently talking to someone I know with close ties to the club, specifically the younger players. We got onto Dowell, and he said he was the best football player at the club when he was here. Couldn't believe they let him go without getting a real chance.

It always seemed apparent to me that he needed games and he would come good. Instead, we paid an absolute fortune on the most expensive signing we've ever made and one who may well go down as arguably the worst signing in the clubs history.

The fact he's not playing for Norwich means very little to me, and to be honest, the fact he is being overlooked maybe a blessing in disguise for him.

As for Gordon, he had a really good game on Thursday. It's the first time I've ever thought he looked like a potential Premier league player, and he finally played with confidence and looked like he wanted to actually affect the game. The cross for the goal was sublime. If he can play like that more often, and work on his finishing, he could save us a lot of money over the next few years.
It's like Anthony Gordon....pi$$ poor at Preston but put that blue shirt on he would of found an extra 10-20 percent to his game IMO.....Look at Iwobi etc they don't care as long as they are getting paid....give me a young evertonian with potential any day over a Mercenary.....if your fighting for something you love in life (not just football)you find that extra spark....and will give your all !

I think he's got the ability to be a PL level player. For a 20 year old he looks to be more than decent. Always hard to predict how good a young player will become. What he's shown so far suggests he's not a sure fire hit to be a top PL performer in future years. Equally he's shown enough to suggest that with the right development he's easily going to be PL quality in the future.

Like with any young player it's really hard to predict how it goes from here. I wouldn't currently put him in that top tier bracket of young players in the PL who have immense potential (Foden, James, Saka, Greenwood, Elliott). But maybe that tier below with the likes of Lamptey, Jones, Meslier, Aarons, Livramento, Guehi, Gallagher etc..
Well this is the thing, some posters were slagging him because he wasnt at Greenwood or Saka’s level. They are exceptional talents who are among the best in the world for their age. Not every player can be that and it’s unfair to judge like that.

I think he could develop a set of skills that make him quite unique for a winger. He looks tall for his position, is he 5’11 or 6ft? He could still grow another inch or two, add on some muscle and he becomes quite the force once he gets moving.

He’s got a good burst of pace but feel he’s more a high end speed than a typical accelerator like Sterling.

Add in his striking of the ball and his work rate and defensive ability, the latter he didnt have last season and he’s potentially a really useful premier league player.

Seems to be a confidence player and the blue shirt whilst it inspires can also hang heavy. Really telling interview t here where he was saying “the crowd have never sung my name like that.” - I get the feeling he feels like he’s not really an Everton player yet till he scores for us.

Once he has a goal and ‘becomes an Everton player’ we’re gonna have a confident, impactful match winner on our hands

It's like Anthony Gordon....pi$$ poor at Preston but put that blue shirt on he would of found an extra 10-20 percent to his game IMO.....Look at Iwobi etc they don't care as long as they are getting paid....give me a young evertonian with potential any day over a Mercenary.....if your fighting for something you love in life (not just football)you find that extra spark....and will give your all !
Just make sure everyone dosent turn on him as soon as he has a bad run like they did with Barkley and Davies.

….he has more ability than he’s shown, I just think he concentrates too much on doing the hard work and graft. He’s a talented lad, he strikes a ball sweetly (which is why he takes free kicks) and has goals in his locker.

Still waiting to see his curly wurly, I guarantee it’s there.
I have thought he had a chance since I first saw him. He's quick, decent on the ball, but he has that thing that not a lot of wingers have, aggression. He's a proper battler.

Early days yet, but high hopes for young Anthony.

One issue in terms of his development is that his best position is wide left where Gray plays. I wonder how he would do as a 10? I think he can do a job on the right but it limits some of his skillset. Though with his delivery and pace he could be effective out right

Gordon did well at Preston until they changed manager and he wasn’t played in the new system. The Preston fans really liked him.

Gordon did well at Preston until they changed manager and he wasn’t played in the new system. The Preston fans really liked him.
A lot of what happened at Preston was out of his control when they changed managers, it wasn't because the new manager didn't rate him.

When things like that happen, I kinda think it's down how it effects them mentally.

You get told from a young age how amazing you are, play for the club you support...then over night you're gone. Most of the time never told why or get strung along for years without anyone saying anything (one of those, tell me sooner and I would've done something).

I have thought he had a chance since I first saw him. He's quick, decent on the ball, but he has that thing that not a lot of wingers have, aggression. He's a proper battler.

Early days yet, but high hopes for young Anthony.
If the game the other night told us anything it was the best way to cure the malaise at the club is bringing kids through the ranks , kids who have a feel for the club not necessarily local lads but young lads whose first club is Everton.
By all mean buy players when quality becomes available but they should be the icing on the cake
As fans we have to be more tolerant of the kids coming through not jump on there backs after every misplaced pass , it can be frustrating I know but it's counterproductive if we don't give them a chance we will never get to where we want to be.

Interesting how many wrote him off. Young players require patience.

There has been but evidence of his talent, but sporadic as his is young and learning. The Chelsea game showed what happens when we show patience. It is a situation not too dissimilar to DCL’s development.

Status
Not open for further replies.