Match Thread Aston Villa 3-2 Everton. Saturday 14th September 17:30

On the face of it, maybe. But under the bonnet that defeat is on Dyche. 100%. He failed to react to Bournemouth's changes. He failed to see our players were knackered. He took off the two outlets we had in Ndiaye and DCL. He threw the players under a bus. Dyche. Him. Yes Dyche.
Thats one thing about Dyche that gets on my nerves, and he does it a lot, waiting too long to use his subs when you can see players getting tired.

I bet not many teams have ended up with a worse goal difference than us after four games if we lose to Villa after the first four fixtures.

A quick Google shows me in the past 10 seasons only two teams have had -10 GD or worse after the first four fixtures: Bournemouth were -14 in 2022/23, and Norwich -10 in 2021/22.

That shows you how pathetic this start has already been under Dyche and how humiliating another defeat would be on Saturday. That from a safety-first manager, as well. Absolutely disgusting.

From a Villa perspective...

Issues at right-back as we will either look to field an 18 year old from Serbia there (full international), who is very inexperienced, or Bogarde who came through our academy but is also inexperienced. Konsa limped off last night so that is a worry as Carlos was injured recently and with Cash also out we could start with a back 4 of Nedelkovic - Bogarde - Torres - Digne. That would be a real concern for Emery.

The midfield has started well but not yet properly clicked getting forward. Ramsey is still being slowly reintroduced after missing a lot of last season and we do miss Luiz dictating tempo and Kamara who is still out injured. Onana and Tielemans have been excellent but we need just a bit more zip in there.

Up front Bailey has yet to get going and Watkins has been suffering because of carrying an injury and having literally zero pre-season which shows in his performances. Obviously, Villa will be favourites given the positions of the two teams and us being at home, but seeing our injury woes from last season seemingly spilling into this one I'm not hugely confident.

Issues at right-back as we will either look to field an 18 year old from Serbia there (full international), who is very inexperienced, or Bogarde who came through our academy but is also inexperienced. Konsa limped off last night so that is a worry as Carlos was injured recently and with Cash also out we could start with a back 4 of Nedelkovic - Bogarde - Torres - Digne. That would be a real concern for Emery.

The midfield has started well but not yet properly clicked getting forward. Ramsey is still being slowly reintroduced after missing a lot of last season and we do miss Luiz dictating tempo and Kamara who is still out injured. Onana and Tielemans have been excellent but we need just a bit more zip in there.

Up front Bailey has yet to get going and Watkins has been suffering because of carrying an injury and having literally zero pre-season which shows in his performances. Obviously, Villa will be favourites given the positions of the two teams and us being at home, but seeing our injury woes from last season seemingly spilling into this one I'm not hugely confident.
You could play Emery at right back and I still wouldn't back McNeil to get the better of him

Issues at right-back as we will either look to field an 18 year old from Serbia there (full international), who is very inexperienced, or Bogarde who came through our academy but is also inexperienced.
Raise you our right back situation. We have…
Geriatric & always injured.
Geriatric & a liability.
A player injured so much we don’t even know if he’s any good.
An embryo.

Glad Onana is going well for you.

On the face of it, maybe. But under the bonnet that defeat is on Dyche. 100%. He failed to react to Bournemouth's changes. He failed to see our players were knackered. He took off the two outlets we had in Ndiaye and DCL. He threw the players under a bus. Dyche. Him. Yes Dyche.
I still can't believe he told the players to let them freely cross and don't mark the players and win the headers too. Terrible idea looking back.

Serious question, the general vibe in here seems to be "we should win, but we won't because of Dyche"

If you were a neutral watching, why would you expect the team that finished 4th (on 68 points), to lose at home to the team that finished 15th (on 40 points)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back