Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baines until very recently was our penalty taker, our main man for free kicks within 30 yards of the goal, and our main attacking defender. Now, certainly on the evidence of last night, but also to a great extent before then, he's not expected to get forward on the overlap anymore, he didn't take any direct free kicks near goal, and he's not now even our penalty taker it would appear.

Time to sell?

simpsons-crowd-shock-homer-smile.gif

We have 3 left backs at the minute and I feel one of them has to go in the summer. If Garbutt signs his contract I would sell Baines, I think he is still the best of the 3 but he's over 30 and the one who will command the largest fee. I think Garbutt will almost fill the gap and we'll be able to use the funds to strengthen in other areas of the team.
I don't agree that we need to let any of the three go. I do agree however that if one is sold, it makes more business sense for that one to be Baines.

IMHO the correct move is to tie Garbutt to a long-term contract and loan him out to another prem club, from August to Christmas, where he can get fifteen starts. In that time we will have discovered if Pienaar has anything left and if not that means one of Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt will get several games at LM / LW. I view it as being a scenario in which we are actually choosing who to keep out of Pienaar and Oviedo; I would keep Oviedo.

I don't agree that we need to let any of the three go. I do agree however that if one is sold, it makes more business sense for that one to be Baines.

IMHO the correct move is to tie Garbutt to a long-term contract and loan him out to another prem club, from August to Christmas, where he can get fifteen starts. In that time we will have discovered if Pienaar has anything left and if not that means one of Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt will get several games at LM / LW. I view it as being a scenario in which we are actually choosing who to keep out of Pienaar and Oviedo; I would keep Oviedo.
^^^This^^^

The ignore feature is superb on this forum, sometimes I miss whole threads, but then suddenly they just pop out when im least expecting it and make me sad.

This thread makes me very sad.

Leighton Baines is a superb left back, he showed loyalty to us and how do we repay that loyalty, with threads asking should we sell him, why? Hes still 1 of the best full backs in the league and we should sell him cos he no longer takes penos?

Christ sake.

I despair at our fanbase, I really do.

Honestly I think it would all depend on the offer we got for him. If we are talking 25m+ I'd take that over to Spain and start lashing it about in Moyes' direction :D

LEIGHTON BAINES admits tuning-in to Everton’s horror show at Stoke made him more determined to help them turn the corner against Newcastle United.

The Blues left-back was injured for their league defeat at the Britannia earlier this month and so listened to action unfold on the radio in his car.

Everton lost 2-0 and slumped to their lowest point of the season with Roberto Martinez conceding that the players had “hit rock bottom”.

Baines says he shared the pain of the defeat and after being named in the starting line-up for Sunday’s crunch clash with Newcastle, the 30-year-old was set on making sure that “lingering” feeling passed

And after a convincing 3-0 win, the Everton defender says it is time for the Blues to chase down the teams above them and not worry about the sides below.

“I couldn’t get to the Stoke game on so I was sat in my car listening to it on the radio,” Baines said.

“You switch it off and even though I was a few miles away I was sharing the feeling and I could almost channel into that.

“I’ve been in the dressing room before when there has been low times and it’s a horrible feeling but these last two performances are the only thing that can get rid of it.

“It lingers. When you are losing games it lingers but hopefully this last game and a half is how we need to be between now and the end of the season.”

And people wanna sell him.

SMFH

Has he lost the right to pens to Rom?
Seems curious, Rom took a few when he was out injured but you'd think it would revert?
Maybe Mirallas affected his confidence by challenging his right to pens

Baines until very recently was our penalty taker, our main man for free kicks within 30 yards of the goal, and our main attacking defender. Now, certainly on the evidence of last night, but also to a great extent before then, he's not expected to get forward on the overlap anymore, he didn't take any direct free kicks near goal, and he's not now even our penalty taker it would appear.

Time to sell?

....no, not time to sell. Think the point was correctly made that Barry is key in covering his sortees forward. The Newcastle game meant that we had other options, both MCCarthy and Gibson got forward. It was a more traditional approach on Sunday, players covering for teammates going forward as opposed to a fixed cover for both Baines and Coleman.

Perhaps we have become too predictable, but any change does not mean we get rid of Baines as he will still play a key role.

LEIGHTON BAINES admits tuning-in to Everton’s horror show at Stoke made him more determined to help them turn the corner against Newcastle United.

The Blues left-back was injured for their league defeat at the Britannia earlier this month and so listened to action unfold on the radio in his car.

Everton lost 2-0 and slumped to their lowest point of the season with Roberto Martinez conceding that the players had “hit rock bottom”.

Baines says he shared the pain of the defeat and after being named in the starting line-up for Sunday’s crunch clash with Newcastle, the 30-year-old was set on making sure that “lingering” feeling passed

And after a convincing 3-0 win, the Everton defender says it is time for the Blues to chase down the teams above them and not worry about the sides below.

“I couldn’t get to the Stoke game on so I was sat in my car listening to it on the radio,” Baines said.

“You switch it off and even though I was a few miles away I was sharing the feeling and I could almost channel into that.

“I’ve been in the dressing room before when there has been low times and it’s a horrible feeling but these last two performances are the only thing that can get rid of it.

“It lingers. When you are losing games it lingers but hopefully this last game and a half is how we need to be between now and the end of the season.”

And people wanna sell him.

SMFH
boss. little confused though about the details, was he on his way to stoke and got stuck in traffic? or did he just walk outside and sit in his drive?

^^^This^^^

I'm sorry chaps but I would have to disagree with you here.

We are not City and Chelsea who know they will be in the higher reaches of the league for the next 5-10 years because their finances etc. We need a good team now not in a few years. Baines is so much better than Garbutt and Oviedo that we would be weakening our side by selling him and replacing him with either of those two players.

So whilst from a sell-on basis we might make less money, this summer has to be about strengthening to stay with the pack above us - now inclusive it would seem of Southampton.

We don't have the means to "hit and hope" and sell the best left back in the league. We need him. If he has a good season next (as he has this season which i know is debated) then it could be the difference between 4th and 5th, 5th or 6th etc etc which obviously carries financial sense with prize money/competition qualification.

We are not City and Chelsea who know they will be in the higher reaches of the league for the next 5-10 years because their finances etc. We need a good team now not in a few years. Baines is so much better than Garbutt and Oviedo that we would be weakening our side by selling him and replacing him with either of those two players.

So whilst from a sell-on basis we might make less money, this summer has to be about strengthening to stay with the pack above us - now inclusive it would seem of Southampton.

We don't have the means to "hit and hope" and sell the best left back in the league. We need him. If he has a good season next (as he has this season which i know is debated) then it could be the difference between 4th and 5th, 5th or 6th etc etc which obviously carries financial sense with prize money/competition qualification.
As I read tree's post it would mean keeping Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt at our club while offloading Pienaar. Baines is not getting younger and seems to be getting a few more injury nibbles now and then. I'm not advocating seling Baines, not at all. Still the first choice left back imo. Resting him a bit more and bring Garbutt in to eventually take over. Oviedo can pay left wing, so that would mean Garbutt getting a lot more games in the coming years.

Should do everything we possible can to keep hold of Garbutt though. If not, we'll be paying top prices to replace Baines in a few years time. Would be a shame, as we currently have 3 of the best in the Premiership in that position.

As I read tree's post it would mean keeping Baines, Oviedo and Garbutt at our club while offloading Pienaar. Baines is not getting younger and seems to be getting a few more injury nibbles now and then. I'm not advocating seling Baines, not at all. Still the first choice left back imo. Resting him a bit more and bring Garbutt in to eventually take over. Oviedo can pay left wing, so that would mean Garbutt getting a lot more games in the coming years.

Should do everything we possible can to keep hold of Garbutt though. If not, we'll be paying top prices to replace Baines in a few years time. Would be a shame, as we currently have 3 of the best in the Premiership in that position.

Cheaper to offer Garbutt a decently paid contract than go and find another LB, which will transfer fee + wages!

Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. We could probably get £10-15 million for Baines and use that money to strengthen the team in other positions also we are probably only going to get 2 or 3 seasons more out of him. Garbutt on the other hand we will probably only get a couple of million for at tribunal and if we keep him that position could be his for next 10 years. I agree Baines is best left back at the club but sometimes you've got to make tough decisions as part of the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back