Can we stop the Mourinho talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think if we want to build a secure future using our academy then we need to be looking at Frank De Boer, Mourinho wont play the youth lads, he didnt even play Lukaku. Its a very short term vision to think he will come in, buy two players, and go on and win something, it aint gonna happen. It will end up a disaster I'm telling you.

Lets get someone who knows how to develop and build a strong unit with stability.

In the last 20 years, how many players have Chelsea nurtured through their youth the squads into the first team?

In the last 20 years how many trophies have Chelsea won compared with say....us?

Think he was saying that as a club Chelsea have ignored their academy for a LONG time mate and it wasn't just Mourinho deciding to not play all these talented young kids, but rather they haven't been producing home grown talent for a long period

image.webp

@bluestevon "Think he was saying that as a club Chelsea have ingored their academy for a LONG time mate and it wasn't jsut Mourinho deciding to not play all these talented young kids"

Well he actually said "Mourinho won't play the youth lads ".

He is of course correct.

The question is whether you want a winner ( if indeed we can attract him ) or someone who will nurture our youth policy , quite possibly at the expense of results.

The point I was making is the Mourinho's ( or if you prefer Chelsea's ) failure to promote youth does not impede their ability to win trophies ( just the opposite actually ).

That leads to the furher question as to whether in the absence of a multi billionaire like Mr Abramovich this policy is sustainable.

In the last 20 years how many trophies have Chelsea won compared with say....us?

Agreed, my point is that, over 20 years I cant actually think of one come through at Chelsea. Even Lampard and Terry moved there from West Ham. Mourinho has spent 6 years there over those 20 years....

Which club has he been at to actually give the youth a chance?

Even with Lukaku, he brought him in, he just felt he wasn't at the level he required of him yet, s he loaned him out. It is common knowledge that he didn't want to get rid of hi, but having spoke to Lukaku he understood his reasons. That is also why Lukaku would play for Mourinho again, and the still speak regularly.

Mourinho's level of expectation is that of a winner, he wants people in his squad who match those expectations and he'e not one to make do with a squad filler, or somebody who can 'do a job'. Its why he has god knows how many more medals to his name than Everton in the last 20 years.

Now, as it goes, I'm not a massive fan of Mourinho, it's not some body who, for the man he is, I would massively push for as my manager. However, just having the football world see him having interest in us, will make them have further interest in us. It's a massive statement of intent as to where we want to be, and will attract players to us that before hand may have thought twice.

Agreed, my point is that, over 20 years I cant actually think of one come through at Chelsea. Even Lampard and Terry moved there from West Ham. Mourinho has spent 6 years there over those 20 years....

Even with Lukaku, he brought him in, he just felt he wasn't at the level he required of him yet, s he loaned him out. It is common knowledge that he didn't want to get rid of hi, but having spoke to Lukaku he understood his reasons. That is also why Lukaku would play for Mourinho again, and the still speak regularly.

Mourinho's level of expectation is that of a winner, he wants people in his squad who match those expectations and he'e not one to make do with a squad filler, or somebody who can 'do a job'. Its why he has god knows how many more medals to his name than Everton in the last 20 years.

Now, as it goes, I'm not a massive fan of Mourinho, it's not some body who, for the man he is, I would massively push for as my manager. However, just having the football world see him having interest in us, will make them have further interest in us. It's a massive statement of intent as to where we want to be, and will attract players to us that before hand may have thought twice.

You are 100% correct IMO

Terry?!

As for the whole youth thing, i really don't care. As long as we win I don't care how it's done.

We've tried the youth thing for a few years now. And failed. Maybe we shouldn't bother. If the players in the youth teams are good enough they'll get in.

As for players like De Bruyne and Lukaku at Chelsea, they were nowhere near ready to go into Chelsea's first team when they left them. They left to get football. Full stop.

@Jacko93 Probably a bit harsh to not credit Terry to Chelseas's system since he was 14 when he moved there, and was a midfielder at the time.

Doesn't change the overall point though.

@bluestevon "Think he was saying that as a club Chelsea have ingored their academy for a LONG time mate and it wasn't jsut Mourinho deciding to not play all these talented young kids"

Well he actually said "Mourinho won't play the youth lads ".

He is of course correct.

The question is whether you want a winner ( if indeed we can attract him ) or someone who will nurture our youth policy , quite possibly at the expense of results.

The point I was making is the Mourinho's ( or if you prefer Chelsea's ) failure to promote youth does not impede their ability to win trophies ( just the opposite actually ).

That leads to the furher question as to whether in the absence of a multi billionaire like Mr Abramovich this policy is sustainable.

Interesting trivia question though - the youngest average age of any team to ever win the premier league was ... the 2005 Chelsea team - under Mourinho, spurs would have beaten it had they won it this season, but well they failed in the end.

One of those stats that really undermines anyone thinking that Mourinho has an aversion to trusting younger players really

Terry?!

As for the whole youth thing, i really don't care. As long as we win I don't care how it's done.

We've tried the youth thing for a few years now. And failed. Maybe we shouldn't bother. If the players in the youth teams are good enough they'll get in.

As for players like De Bruyne and Lukaku at Chelsea, they were nowhere near ready to go into Chelsea's first team when they left them. They left to get football. Full stop.

Nicked him at 15 from the West Ham youth academy mate, but still techinically i guess could say he was Chelseas 'product'

See the stat above about the 2005 Chelsea teams average age mate

Interesting trivia question though - the youngest average age of any team to ever win the premier league was ... the 2005 Chelsea team - under Mourinho, spurs would have beaten it had they won it this season, but well they failed in the end.

One of those stats that really undermines anyone thinking that Mourinho has an aversion to trusting younger players really
If that is true it is indeed very interesting.

However it doesn't change my view that Mourinho sees his job as winning matches rather than developing players.

Very rarely do you see him play anyone who isn't the finished article.

What do you think he would have done with Stones when he was making his littany of errors earlier in the season?

My guess is that he would have been dropped and not selected again until the penny had dropped and he cut out the unforced errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back