Computer games.

Offed Demon of Hatred on Sekiro just now - game done. Great, great game - can see why people call it Miyazaki's masterpiece because it's a complete vision realised, no flaws that I can see. But then Dark Souls has flaws other games don't have room for.

Game wasn't the sufferfest I thought it might be, once I got the eye in. Bosses very challenging but generally did them in one sesh - no outright cheese but did use some powerful prosthetics like the umbrella. Struggled way way more on DS3 back in the day when I was casul.

Anyone tried the following Jrpgs on ps4? I'm closing in on the end of FFVII: Crisis Core (Which I'm really enjoying) and fancy a new challenge. So has anyone got opinions on the following:

Diofield Chronicle
Tactic Ogre Reborn
CrossCode
Chained Echoes
Any of the Dragon Quest series (Never played 'em)
Y's (Currently playing Y's Origins and that's a lot of fun)

Midway through Sekhiro - hard as balls but loving it. Huge Dark Souls fan but always put this one off as I thought I wouldn't like it, but it's like they kept all the best bits from Souls boss fights and dropped the bad stuff. Really good.

Everyone says it doesn't have the replay quality of rpgs, which I can understand, but first playthrough is boss.
I actually just cam e in here to ask if anyones playing Sekiro... Looks great! But is it actually that hard, or is it playable for normal people? lol

I actually just cam e in here to ask if anyones playing Sekiro... Looks great! But is it actually that hard, or is it playable for normal people? lol
It's a fierce learning curve, but if you get past that it gets much easier - I'm at the end of NG+ and it's been plain sailing, but NG was tough. There's also no multiplayer - if you're ever getting smashed by a Dark Souls boss you can always summon another player to carry you. That way you keep progressing. But with Sekiro you can get properly walled out by a Boss. So you either enjoy the challenge of Git gud or you'll put the game down basically.

It's a bit more reflexy than Souls, and I absolutely suck at this. But you can get past it with pattern recognition.

It's a fierce learning curve, but if you get past that it gets much easier - I'm at the end of NG+ and it's been plain sailing, but NG was tough. There's also no multiplayer - if you're ever getting smashed by a Dark Souls boss you can always summon another player to carry you. That way you keep progressing. But with Sekiro you can get properly walled out by a Boss. So you either enjoy the challenge of Git gud or you'll put the game down basically.

It's a bit more reflexy than Souls, and I absolutely suck at this. But you can get past it with pattern recognition.
My best tip for Sekiro is to treat combat (mostly, certainly against bosses) like it’s a rhythm game with your deflections. That said, it’s one of my favourite games and I’ve done about 7-8 playthrough so I may be lying when I say it’s easier than it’s made out to be lol

I easily give up on difficult games... lol

Anyone tried the following Jrpgs on ps4? I'm closing in on the end of FFVII: Crisis Core (Which I'm really enjoying) and fancy a new challenge. So has anyone got opinions on the following:

Diofield Chronicle
Tactic Ogre Reborn
CrossCode
Chained Echoes
I played Tactics Ogre as a kid on old PS1 (this Reborn is remake of SNES/PS1 from the 90s), planning to buy this version later.

Loved the story, very mature, political and war focused (apparently original creator was inspired by Yugoslav wars that were happening at the time and all the awful things that came with it).

Turn based like Final Fantasy Tactics (if you played that) and quite long. Though must say say there are "Lannister" vibes between two main protagonists (brother and sister), though not surprising for turn based tactical JRPGs from the 90s, early Fire Emblem games are rife with incesty stuff.

Last edited:

Diofield Chronicle
Tactic Ogre Reborn
CrossCode
Chained Echoes
I haven’t, however I do have a few JRPG recommendations:

Code Vein
Persona 5 (ideally the Royal version)
Tales of Arise
Scarlett Nexus

All great games, Persona 5 Royal is in particular a masterpiece

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back