Computer games.

Baldurs Gate 3 was pulled... forward! Release date is now in about a month - SO bought me that mega preorder pack with the physical goodies so I'm on 72 hours earlier...

Now sadly that means I have to upgrade my PC and also the TV until then... FFS

Funny thing is I've probably got about 10k hours of watching on Twitch all I just have it on all day while I'm working.

And yeah I definitely don't want mods like that. Don't mind a few, like the bird mods, and a few guns added. Happy Bombs servers seem decent.

Would be up for jumping on sometime though if you could put up with trying to find me for 3 hours lol
Oh it'd be an absolute pleasure, mate. Just to warn you though I'll probably info dump you some obscure DayZ trivia.

I'll PM you my Steam and Discord handle thingies. Add me and we shall have an adventure.

Yeah Happy Bomb's Zero servers are very good. They're like an enhanced version of the vanilla game. He seems a decent bloke too in all fairness.

I tried to play Amazing Cultivator Simulator and it's way too complicated for me, shame as the whole Chinese mythology angle is something I am interested in but know nothing about. Feng Shui and all the elements working in the correct order is way over my head. I wanted that game for ages as well, never mind.

Realised I've had my PC for just over two years now. It's been great and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning more about PC building.

I saw GPUs are well priced on CEX and it's planted a very big seed, so I guess I'll be trading in the 3070. The sensible choice would be another EVGA GPU, maybe the 3080 12gb, 3080ti or 3090 as I know they'll fit in my mATX case. The 3090 is too much to justify (£470 on top of the 3070), and the EVGA 3080ti runs hotter than the sun. The 3080 12gb would be a nice upgrade but I wonder if it'll satisfy my FPS greed.

ASUS GPUs seem to have unbelievable cooling, but they're pricey. MSI seem to be pretty good value for money, though.

I love all this but you don't half open up a can of worms when doing research. So much info out there and I must absorb it all.

Anything to do with the PC game from the 90s? I think it was a point and click and remember quite enjoying it
Don’t think they are related (I remember playing that myself, it was great!)

This one is apparently set between the original film and the sequel. No details on what type of game it’s going to be, that trailer is all that’s around at the moment.

Though the team behind it were part of the group that put out ‘The Outer Wilds’ so that’s a good sign as that game was amazing.

Realised I've had my PC for just over two years now. It's been great and I've thoroughly enjoyed learning more about PC building.

I saw GPUs are well priced on CEX and it's planted a very big seed, so I guess I'll be trading in the 3070. The sensible choice would be another EVGA GPU, maybe the 3080 12gb, 3080ti or 3090 as I know they'll fit in my mATX case. The 3090 is too much to justify (£470 on top of the 3070), and the EVGA 3080ti runs hotter than the sun. The 3080 12gb would be a nice upgrade but I wonder if it'll satisfy my FPS greed.

ASUS GPUs seem to have unbelievable cooling, but they're pricey. MSI seem to be pretty good value for money, though.

I love all this but you don't half open up a can of worms when doing research. So much info out there and I must absorb it all.
EVGA stopped making GPUs recently, didn't they? I think that doesn't impact 30's though.

I'm gonna be building a new PC soon as well but not set on parts yet. Might experiment with a Team Red build this time for the CPU/MoBo and just go for AM5, even if I currently have an unused ASUS 1070Ti that will go into it at first (but will likely be a permanent temporary card for the foreseeable tbh) so it won't be a full Red build... Still debating/early days, as also have stuff to fix around the apartment to finish all of that fixing-up-saga ffs....

I'm not as fps hungry as you though, so I'm easier on that front I guess lol

EVGA stopped making GPUs recently, didn't they? I think that doesn't impact 30's though.

I'm gonna be building a new PC soon as well but not set on parts yet. Might experiment with a Team Red build this time for the CPU/MoBo and just go for AM5, even if I currently have an unused ASUS 1070Ti that will go into it at first (but will likely be a permanent temporary card for the foreseeable tbh) so it won't be a full Red build... Still debating/early days, as also have stuff to fix around the apartment to finish all of that fixing-up-saga ffs....

Yes, nVidia ones anyhow, not that I see them going ATI; sorry AMD.

Yes, nVidia ones anyhow, not that I see them going ATI; sorry AMD.
I'll probably stick to Green for GPU - "the devil you know" and that. Have had both setups during the years and at work and it's been alright with both really. Thinking upgradability with the AM5/Ryzens - they tend to stick to a socket for a while, while my i5 is now absolutely dead in the water because the socket doesn't support anything past an equally crap i7 from ages ago lol

I'll probably stick to Green for GPU - "the devil you know" and that. Have had both setups during the years and at work and it's been alright with both really. Thinking upgradability with the AM5/Ryzens - they tend to stick to a socket for a while, while my i5 is now absolutely dead in the water because the socket doesn't support anything past an equally crap i7 from ages ago lol
It's why I switched from Intel toAMD on my recent build (socket stuff). Your Mobo is where it all begins, the longer it's viable, the better.

It's mostly common sense. It's like buying a car, both in terms of longevity and features. Buy a good case, with accessible dust filters so you actually clean them. Install extra case fans, to keep things cool, because they're dirt cheap. Install a good aftermarket CPU, especially if you ever intend to overclock. Never cut corners on the PSU. Know the difference between a wattage rating and a PSU that delivers consistent power.

Cut corners where you can. If you don't need a bunch of expansion card slots on the board, don't pay for them. If you'll never be playing the latest and greatest in 4K or in a high refresh rate, you don't need to spend crazy money on a video card. Buy quality input devices, but don't spend crazy money unless you need the specific features. Don't buy more CPU than you need to avoid bottlenecking the best video card you might ever install later, unless you're doing CPU-intensive tasks for work.

Doing all that permits the budget to afford components from good manufacturers, that last. Most people don't know which parts are mission critical, and end up getting upsold into configurations that are suboptimal and burn out quickly.

Aye they did. It's a shame as they were considered the best by many. From what I've read MSI and ASUS are the next best, although the latter has been involved in a recent controversy with not honouring warranties.

That 1070ti should be fine for most games I reckon. I think the new headset has resparked my love for gaming. I'd had a few months where I hardly played and I'd missed it. Got my eye on an ASUS TUF 3080ti at CEX which would be about £300 on top of my 3070, which I can just about justify. I'll claim the tax back next year so there's £60 off at least.

It's mostly common sense. It's like buying a car, both in terms of longevity and features. Buy a good case, with accessible dust filters so you actually clean them. Install extra case fans, to keep things cool, because they're dirt cheap. Install a good aftermarket CPU, especially if you ever intend to overclock. Never cut corners on the PSU. Know the difference between a wattage rating and a PSU that delivers consistent power.

Cut corners where you can. If you don't need a bunch of expansion card slots on the board, don't pay for them. If you'll never be playing the latest and greatest in 4K or in a high refresh rate, you don't need to spend crazy money on a video card. Buy quality input devices, but don't spend crazy money unless you need the specific features. Don't buy more CPU than you need to avoid bottlenecking the best video card you might ever install later, unless you're doing CPU-intensive tasks for work.

Doing all that permits the budget to afford components from good manufacturers, that last. Most people don't know which parts are mission critical, and end up getting upsold into configurations that are suboptimal and burn out quickly.
The case is probably the worst part of the lot. It's not a bad one and has removable dust filters but it's mATX, so it's a bit compact. I've upgraded all the other parts except the motherboard.

Initially it had a 550W PSU. I upgraded that to a Corsair 850W 80 Plus rated one. RAM has gone from 16gb 2666mhz to 32gb 2933mhz, changed the i5 for an i7 plus AIO liquid cooler, and I've put in two extra case fans, so 6 in total with the one on the AIO. I must admit I didn't fit the AIO myself. The really nice nerds at Scan in Bolton did that for me.

The two extra fans made a great difference considering they were £6 each or something. My CPU sits nicely around 60C and my GPU around 70C when gaming. I took a photo of it yesterday coincidentally.

IMG_2767.JPG

Aye they did. It's a shame as they were considered the best by many. From what I've read MSI and ASUS are the next best, although the latter has been involved in a recent controversy with not honouring warranties.

That 1070ti should be fine for most games I reckon. I think the new headset has resparked my love for gaming. I'd had a few months where I hardly played and I'd missed it. Got my eye on an ASUS TUF 3080ti at CEX which would be about £300 on top of my 3070, which I can just about justify. I'll claim the tax back next year so there's £60 off at least.

The case is probably the worst part of the lot. It's not a bad one and has removable dust filters but it's mATX, so it's a bit compact. I've upgraded all the other parts except the motherboard.

Initially it had a 550W PSU. I upgraded that to a Corsair 850W 80 Plus rated one. RAM has gone from 16gb 2666mhz to 32gb 2933mhz, changed the i5 for an i7 plus AIO liquid cooler, and I've put in two extra case fans, so 6 in total with the one on the AIO. I must admit I didn't fit the AIO myself. The really nice nerds at Scan in Bolton did that for me.

The two extra fans made a great difference considering they were £6 each or something. My CPU sits nicely around 60C and my GPU around 70C when gaming. I took a photo of it yesterday coincidentally.

View attachment 216291
It might actually be a bit slow in general for the setup if I go for a beefier Ryzen but it's a placeholder and it was free lol Current setup is fresh out of 2016 with a then-good and new ASUS 1050Ti which still runs decently to this day, but to upgrade that rig to the 1070 I'd need to get a new PSU and it's also currently an mATX so it barely just about fits, cuz I tested it... Might as well upgrade the rest as well like.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back