Continuous mentality problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obvs they seem to be our bogey team, but we did better against them last night than we had since about 2013.

Yeah, a bit of perspective really. Everything went according to plan until McCarthy came off. If Rom or Ross could trap a ball, we may have even been able to trouble their goal. As distraught as I was at the result, there were encouraging signs that there's some spirit within this team that we can salvage

Dropping deep, not looking for the ball, shirking responsibility, responding only through horror ankle breakers, not reacting to any second balls. That's all 100% mentality. And we've seen it all before. Did Barry have to be so downright pathetic. No but that's his par for the course against that lot. These players don't have the heart and hunger or belief in themselves for a derby. It's sad but it's reality. It doesn't changes till the club change its mentality and these are given the road. I feel ill and numb but these players are immune to it. They wouldn't be 1 in 20 if it meant what it should to them. I love everton and I love everton players I've grown up with. Even some downright garbage ones because I knew they gave their heart and soul and felt our pain. This lot? I despise 90% of them. They are everything that everton football club should not epitomise. Weak, scared, lazy, gutless, gripped by fear. There's nothing they can do or say to fix it. They just need to go and sooner the better.

Oh Tim. These screeds are becoming a part of your brand.

I respect it.

The mentality is just the tip of a humungous ice berg from years of stagnation and treading water. The reason this defeat cuts deep is because we've been here a hundred times before and not just against Liverpool.

Lets face it we are years behind in terms of progression, we missed the gravy train of the early Premiership years and paid the price. Moyes (and I'm no lover) did a great job in the 1st half of his tenure in stabalising this club, we could & should have gone down during this Premiership era. Other minor miracles along the way have kept us away from the dreaded drop.

A lazy hierachy who were clearly contempt with taking from the club rather than actively looking for investment to drag us forward. Only now do we have an investor with a modecum of money (comparitively) from those at the top. Look at Man City, they were serial losers. It's taken a new stadium and quite frankly gross amounts of money to change the whole direction of the club. I believe we will only now ever see real growth on/off the pitch once we have a new fancy stadium.

It's a hard reality to take but simply we're just not that good and need serious money to turn that around.

I agree. I said last night this was the biggest issue in the squad. We have no leaders in our team. I know many will point to Williams but he is more of a organiser than a leader, same as Jagielka.

We need a proper leader. Some one who shows no respect to anyone regardless of reputation, trophies won or current form.
Funny really because I think our wins vs Liverpool in recent years contained two men clearly lacking in todays team.

Duncan Ferguson and Tim Cahill - fear nobody's reputation.

Yeah, a bit of perspective really. Everything went according to plan until McCarthy came off. If Rom or Ross could trap a ball, we may have even been able to trouble their goal. As distraught as I was at the result, there were encouraging signs that there's some spirit within this team that we can salvage

That's a good return on 3 and a half seasons, one fired manager, millions spent on plasters and contracts. We've finally ascertained that there's signs that there might be a bit of spirit somewhere in the squad based on a decent first half of football when we're at home. No wonder no one at Everton cares about performance if that's the yardstick. Everton must be laughing at a packed house every week to watch utter tripe year after year.

Dropping deep, not looking for the ball, shirking responsibility, responding only through horror ankle breakers, not reacting to any second balls. That's all 100% mentality. And we've seen it all before. Did Barry have to be so downright pathetic. No but that's his par for the course against that lot. These players don't have the heart and hunger or belief in themselves for a derby. It's sad but it's reality. It doesn't changes till the club change its mentality and these are given the road. I feel ill and numb but these players are immune to it. They wouldn't be 1 in 20 if it meant what it should to them. I love everton and I love everton players I've grown up with. Even some downright garbage ones because I knew they gave their heart and soul and felt our pain. This lot? I despise 90% of them. They are everything that everton football club should not epitomise. Weak, scared, lazy, gutless, gripped by fear. There's nothing they can do or say to fix it. They just need to go and sooner the better.

Somebody please place this on a letter and send it to the players of Everton Football Club.
Couldn't of said it better myself. The spineless, gutless, Absoloute cowards need to be aware of their current mentality.
I don't mind the limited quality from players who give 110% such as Cahill, Ferguson and Naismith, but half of these players are not good enough or brave enough to be considered in the same league as Cahill and Ferguson for effort or bravery.

Needed to score when we were on top.

That's a good return on 3 and a half seasons, one fired manager, millions spent on plasters and contracts. We've finally ascertained that there's signs that there might be a bit of spirit somewhere in the squad based on a decent first half of football when we're at home.

If everything you said about Martinez was true, then it's going to be a slow process, Domingo. Over the last 2 and a half seasons, the thing we've missed the most, more than talent and ability, is effort and grit. I will welcome any signs that we're getting it back. We have a lot good players there, if we can find suitors for Rom and Ross, we might be able to build a cohesive team and start correcting some of the awful mistakes that have hampered us these last few seasons

Everton are a deeply pessimistic club. The club just typify the small time mentality, peaking with Moyes appalling record against top 4 sides. We simply do not believe in ourselves. We only do well against Arsenal cos they're possibly even weaker-minded than we are!

The club needs to employ an array of motivational speakers, personal and sports psychologists, and instill a pack mentality.

And for god's sake, knock it off with the pseudo-sportswear jingo. 'Nil Satis...' can stay, as club motto, but 'the people's club', 'born not manufactured', 'things will never be the same', 'fabric', etc etc. Utter codswallop. Get in the bin.

Somebody please place this on a letter and send it to the players of Everton Football Club.
Couldn't of said it better myself. The spineless, gutless, Absoloute cowards need to be aware of their current mentality.
I don't mind the limited quality from players who give 110% such as Cahill, Ferguson and Naismith, but half of these players are not good enough or brave enough to be considered in the same league as Cahill and Ferguson for effort or bravery.

Exactly, the whole reason we apparently 'punched above our weight' for years under Moyes was because we had players who had pride in themselves and pride for Everton. The reason we managed to avoid the drop in the premier league so often was because when push truly came to shove the club had characters in it who would not let this team go down, who fought literally until the end with everything they had to keep us in the league. Not one of this current squad (perhaps Baines aside for past performances) will ever be remembered even half as fondly as Naismith unless they learn that it starts with a bit of effort. They were all made up with themselves for simply matching Liverpool's effort for half an hour. Everton teams in the 90s used to bully far better Liverpool teams off the park for 90 minutes.

Genuinely don't know what the solution is. Everyone blamed Moyes, then it was supposedly Moyes' players, then it was a lack of quality. Now it's a completely new 11 and manager and yet the trait still exists

Historically it's taken some of the greatest teams in football history to win anything at Everton. Dixie Dean netting 60 in a season, a team of the holy trinity, Royle, Labone, Wilson, winning ONE league title, that 80s team only picking up 2 titles when it was the best in Europe. Going through the entire 70s with some great players winning naff all.

Meanwhile Kenny Dalglish managed to cajole Raul Meireles Dirk Kuyt and Andy Carrol into winning a trophy we've never even lifted in our entire history. A team including Vladimir Smicer Djimi Traore and Djibril Cisse won the European cup. Even Rodgers nearly won a league with Simon Mignolet Kolo Toure and a left back so poor I can't even remember his name.

Historically we've had one of the worst mentalities of any footballing side but have been lucky to have been blessed by some of the greatest players to have played the game to drag us over the line. Even then though we should have won far far more.

Given the current cowards and frauds in the squad there's zero chance of this ever being rectified anytime soon. We could put out a front three of Messi Ronaldo and Neymar and we still probably wouldn't get a shot on target in the Derby. The club is rotten from top to bottom.

How so? How many cup finals in the last two decades? One, and we were massive underdogs so the defeat wasn't unexpected. You make out as though it's just "mentality" that is the difference and we are underachieving. Someone listed our strikers in the PL era and it's pretty woeful, meanwhile the RS haven't won the PL yet they have had Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez (talent wise I wouldn't add Sturridge to that list yet he's one in two for them).

In the whole PL era we have had a handful of truly quality players, Beardsley for a season, Kanchelskis for two, Rooney for two (tho he only took off when he joined United)..at a push you could add Lukaku but I'd put him nowhere near the others mentioned. That's about it. This club is not underachieveing in terms of the players we have had. We overachieved by getting 4th in 2005 (one of the lowest pts total in doing so)..that was probably our best team in the PL era and they wouldn't get close to top six this season. Phil Neville has been our captain ffs. As for yesterday, 32% possession at home, 8 touches in their box, given those stats how have we bottled it?

The solution is pretty simple, much better players.

You're right.

One thing stood out for me last night - around the middle of the second half, one of the RS players was down injured. It didn't seem to be anything really serious, and indeed he was up & running within a minute or two, but what happened? We put the ball out (I think it was Lennon, but I'm not sure). I said to myself then, "we are going to lose this game". A team of winners would have pressed on, and maybe gained some advantage, but not us.

That was a perfect moment to sum up this Everton team. Baines did it for Arteta in a game at Arsenal a few years ago, may have been the FA Cup Quarter Final that we ended up losing 4-1 but I think it was 1-1 at the time.

This group of players would sooner put the ball out for an "injured" player as it's the easy option. They find it easier to do that than to go forward and try and create something, or potentially face the wrath of an opposition player or manager for not being sporting.

There are hardly any winners in this team, hardly any fighters. So until we get rid of the vast majority of them, things won't ever change.

How so? How many cup finals in the last two decades? One, and we were massive underdogs so the defeat wasn't unexpected. You make out as though it's just "mentality" that is the difference and we are underachieving. Someone listed our strikers in the PL era and it's pretty woeful, meanwhile the RS haven't won the PL yet they have had Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez (talent wise I wouldn't add Sturridge to that list yet he's one in two for them).

In the whole PL era we have had a handful of truly quality players, Beardsley for a season, Kanchelskis for two, Rooney for two (tho he only took off when he joined United)..at a push you could add Lukaku but I'd put him nowhere near the others mentioned. That's about it. This club is not underachieveing in terms of the players we have had. We overachieved by getting 4th in 2005 (one of the lowest pts total in doing so)..that was probably our best team in the PL era and they wouldn't get close to top six this season. Phil Neville has been our captain ffs. As for yesterday, 32% possession at home, 8 touches in their box, given those stats how have we bottled it?

The solution is pretty simple, much better players.

Not in the prem years but in our history as a whole we should have won more. To never win the league cup given the players we have had here over the years is ridiculous. Swansea Wigan Portsmouth Birmingham Leicester have all picked up trophies since we last did. It's not impossible but yes it's very difficult in the current climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back