David Moyes

For anyone under 30. David Moyes will be the best manager Everton have had in charge. Which is a sad being born just after our last trophy which sucks. Yes his tactics of limiting the opposition is effective to a point but when it matters it just doesn't work against the top teams.

The biggest rod tied around his neck and there is no getting away from is his away record against Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal. The tweet below is from last year and he did win at Arsenal in December 2023, but you can add 3 further defeats to that list too. In total one victory away from home against these teams in 76 attempts for all clubs his has managed is truly shocking and means he has to considered an average manager at best.

For anyone under 30. David Moyes will be the best manager Everton have had in charge. Which is a sad being born just after our last trophy sucks. Yes his tactics of limiting the opposition is effective to a point but when it matters it just doesn't work against the top teams.

The biggest rod tied around his neck and there is no getting away from is his away record against Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal. The tweet below is from last year and he did win at Arsenal in December 2023, but you can add 3 further defeats to that list too. In total one victory away from home against these teams in 76 attempts for all clubs his has managed is truly shocking and means he has to considered an average manager at best.

Thanks for the depressing read.

wouldn't the pinnacle of his career be winning a european trophy with west ham?
he certainly thinks so;
“To get to a European final, it could be my best [achievement],” West Ham’s manager said.
He was made up with it.
IMG_8370.webp

Monetary wise no doubt, but very average career, Man U on his CV being something of an anomaly as he bottled it completely.
Can’t even say he’s a modern day Harry Rednapp as he was more successful. Probably closer to Pardew.
He has had a good career. Managed Utd and number of big second tier sides I. The premier league.
Ok he isn’t Ferguson but of the British born managers he has been the most consistent for the last couple of decades in terms of bang for the buck you get with him

Personally have no issue with the concept of him taking the job, it’s manner in which he did I find a bit off, along with his behaviour towards Everton once appointed.
For someone who had often talked about doing things properly, esp around transfers, he certainly didn’t practice what he preached.
Knowing full well our supposed financial constraints, he could have garnered a fee for us, and gone with most people blessing, but he elected to see out his contract having clearly been tapped up some considerable time before.
He then made approaches for two of our best players, again perfectly entitled to, but to make such a ‘derisory’ (©️Moyes v Hughes 2009) bid AND suggest Everton was holding their careers back was quite the slap in the face.
Everton did more for Moyes than he did for us, his spell here still being the pinnacle of an average career.
Spot on mate!

For anyone under 30. David Moyes will be the best manager Everton have had in charge. Which is a sad being born just after our last trophy which sucks. Yes his tactics of limiting the opposition is effective to a point but when it matters it just doesn't work against the top teams.

Thought we beat Utd at OT when Oviedo scored winner ? Was that under Moyes or Bobby Brun Schuh ?

Monetary wise no doubt, but very average career, Man U on his CV being something of an anomaly as he bottled it completely.
Can’t even say he’s a modern day Harry Rednapp as he was more successful. Probably closer to Pardew.

Pardew lol. Grow up, he’s been a good manager pretty consistently for 2 decades. He’ll get another English job no problem. Pardew was last seen bombing in Greece.

Pardew lol. Grow up, he’s been a good manager pretty consistently for 2 decades. He’ll get another English job no problem. Pardew was last seen bombing in Greece.
Like Moyes in Spain?
I don’t dispute Moyes time had enjoyable moments, I enjoyed some great aways in Europe, going to Wembley etc, and I’d like to have them again, but in the grand scheme of things, he’s had a decidedly average career imho. Doesn’t make him a bad manager, just for me doesn’t qualify the pining for his return or blue tinted view of his time here
He generally bottled the big moments (or if not bottled took his usual try not to lose mentality to them).
Martinez took pretty much the same team and got our highest ever points tally the next season, which shows what that team of ‘underdogs’ / ‘also rans’ was capable of with a manager with attacking ambition.
Fact that Martinez didn’t believe in defending was his downfall.
Moyes has certainly been the best of a bad bunch in recent time but it’s not an especially high bar imho.
I can’t get my head around the juxtaposition that Kenwright gets pilloried for his ‘we had good times’ quote, yet Moyes is often celebrated for the same period.

Like Moyes in Spain?
I don’t dispute Moyes time had enjoyable moments, I enjoyed some great aways in Europe, going to Wembley etc, and I’d like to have them again, but in the grand scheme of things, he’s had a decidedly average career imho. Doesn’t make him a bad manager, just for me doesn’t qualify the pining for his return or blue tinted view of his time here
He generally bottled the big moments (or if not bottled took his usual try not to lose mentality to them).
Martinez took pretty much the same team and got our highest ever points tally the next season, which shows what that team of ‘underdogs’ / ‘also rans’ was capable of with a manager with attacking ambition.
Fact that Martinez didn’t believe in defending was his downfall.
Moyes has certainly been the best of a bad bunch in recent time but it’s not an especially high bar imho.
I can’t get my head around the juxtaposition that Kenwright gets pilloried for his ‘we had good times’ quote, yet Moyes is often celebrated for the same period.

You are really comparing La Liga with the Greek league?

Martinez did well with the defence Moyes had built.

Absolutely Moyes was too negative and football has moved on from his pragmatic style, but he took us from perennial relegation struggles to challenging for Europe just about every year. And he did it all with a net spend of precisely nothing.

Even fans up to around 34 won't be able to remember much about big joe and the cup

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back