Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

This afternoon at 3.50pm, my father lost his battle with cancer. I am absolutely devastated. He was a much loved man who always had a smile on his face, and time for anyone. I remember how proud I was when he arranged for the club to show me around the ground and trophy room as a suprise for my 11th birthday after we had just won the league. RIP sir.
so sorry to hear that. condolences to you and your family.

This afternoon at 3.50pm, my father lost his battle with cancer. I am absolutely devastated. He was a much loved man who always had a smile on his face, and time for anyone. I remember how proud I was when he arranged for the club to show me around the ground and trophy room as a suprise for my 11th birthday after we had just won the league. RIP sir.
One of my biggest fears, I'm so sorry to hear that lad. Sincere condolences to you and your family. Stay strong.

Sorry to read this. I would echo the thoughts of others and agree that you will find someone better in the future, and you will look back and realise that you are well rid. If it's any consolation I have experienced similar before I met my wife. You need someone who is there for you through any occassion. Today has been the most difficult day of my life and it is so important that you have the right people in your life for those moments. Take care.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this during such a difficult period for you, my friend. Not many people would do that, and I really appreciate it. Once again, sincerest condolences.

Thoughts with you and your family.

This is worth a read. Not overlong.

http://www.thejc.com/community/community-life/150662/baddiel-you-can-be-depressed-no-reason

David Baddiel has spoken of his guilt at suffering from depression, a condition that also affected his grandfather, who survived the Holocaust.

In discussion with Guardian executive editor and JC columnist Jonathan Freedland, the comedian and writer told the 150 guests at the Jewish Association for the Mentally Ill's annual champagne tea that it was tempting to connect depression with tragedy.

"My grandfather was a wealthy industrialist in Germany, interned on the Isle of Man for two years. After the war, he was in and out of Fulbourn, a mental hospital near Cambridge, for the rest of his life with depression.

"And part of me thinks: 'Yes, of course he was depressed, because he had these terrible things happen to him'."

But, Mr Baddiel went on: "What you have to realise is that depression doesn't work that way. You can be depressed for no apparent reason, or for what appears to be a small reason, or you can be depressed because your family was murdered in the Holocaust.

"Depression takes no prisoners - it's really all about the predisposition. We have to move away from this idea that you can only be depressed if something really tragic has happened to you." He himself had battled depression for decades and "there are times when I think it's still there, in the background".

Mr Baddiel is a former patron of the Campaign Against Living Miserably, an initiative to prevent male suicide. He reflected that, because men often struggled to express their emotions, suicide "feels like a noble, heroic act.

"But that's misguided and leads to Isis. Young men don't feel like they have an ideal to live up to and they end up being suicide bombers."

People are now talking about mental health

However, Jonny Benjamin - who was persuaded by a passer-by not to commit suicide by jumping off Waterloo Bridge - said that attitudes surrounding mental health had improved.

"In the last few years, I've seen a real shift in the Jewish community. People are talking about and engaging with mental health for the first time - and that's down to Jami."

Last year's tea was addressed by Natalie Gotel, who spoke of her struggle with depression and anxiety.

She has since gone back to university to study social work and told guests: "I am still facing many demons which, before Jami, I could not overcome. But since joining Jami I have the tools to battle them."

Beaming broadly, she added: "I also now have an amazingly bright and handsome boyfriend.

"Jami had much to do with this victory, too."

Held at the Savoy, the tea raised more than £200,000.

Hi.

I am new to this thread. So forgive my naivety.

I do not suffer from depression or anxiety; however my fiance has been diagnosed with clinical depression, anxiety and fits the description of borderline personality disorder.

I am at wits end to be honest. I have consulted counseling, doctors, friends, religious leaders...but nothing I have done seems to convince my love that there is treatment available and it helps. She refuses all help in all forms. At this juncture, it is crushing our family including our daughter who is only 6 and doesnt understand the anger fits or why mommy sleeps all the time.

so I feel selfish right now in asking...how do i move on? Is there some glimmer oh hope someone else who has been in this kind of situation can offer?

Hi.

I do not suffer from depression or anxiety; however my fiance has been diagnosed with clinical depression, anxiety and fits the description of borderline personality disorder.

I am at wits end to be honest. I have consulted counseling, doctors, friends, religious leaders...but nothing I have done seems to convince my love that there is treatment available and it helps. She refuses all help in all forms. At this juncture, it is crushing our family including our daughter who is only 6 and doesnt understand the anger fits or why mommy sleeps all the time.

so I feel selfish right now in asking...how do i move on? Is there some glimmer oh hope someone else who has been in this kind of situation can offer?

Sorry to read this mate, genuinely. One of the great things about this thread is that someone in the GOT community is likely to have gone through or is going through something similar. I am sure someone will be along who can offer more than just well meaning words.

In the meantime you are not alone here and if it helps to get rid of tensions or just to express feelings this is a good place to do it, there's no judgement here just support.

Good luck

Hi.

If you bare with me I will shortly pm you some web addresses you may find useful. I attended a course on PD only last week so some stuff I have may be helpful to you.

The fact you clearly hold your dad in such great esteem says what a great man he was. And a true blue.

Sincere condolences.

Condolences DT.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back