Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

@wbn61 @Groucho there is no-one more senior; added to that, my position is dependent on my boss pushing for funding for the post.

I don't let myself get walked over- I do push back against workload and attitudes, I do speak up for myself, and I do push things back in terms of saying the expectation is too much, or asking that my boss prioritise what they want me to do, and set deadlines- it's just the constantly having to do so that's wearing. Also being treated like I'm an idiot when i'm not kept in the loop about things is irritating to say the least, but I have the attitude now that that says more about other's communication skills than anything I can reasonably impact on/ control.

@Ashtonian for me communication isn't an issue- it's the workers around me (mostly my boss) who are poor communicators, not helped much by most of the office working from home most of the time and never picking up the phone.

@wbn61 @Groucho there is no-one more senior; added to that, my position is dependent on my boss pushing for funding for the post.

I don't let myself get walked over- I do push back against workload and attitudes, I do speak up for myself, and I do push things back in terms of saying the expectation is too much, or asking that my boss prioritise what they want me to do, and set deadlines- it's just the constantly having to do so that's wearing. Also being treated like I'm an idiot when i'm not kept in the loop about things is irritating to say the least, but I have the attitude now that that says more about other's communication skills than anything I can reasonably impact on/ control.

@Ashtonian for me communication isn't an issue- it's the workers around me (mostly my boss) who are poor communicators, not helped much by most of the office working from home most of the time and never picking up the phone.
Well just to put my position in perspective, i found out (as i put in the fume thread) that i am essentially being undermined whilst i am not here now. To the extent that my collegue are going back to the professionals and basically putting my work down directly, when in fact, my work was completely the opposite of that! So much so that essentially they have tried to be a smart arse without actually getting all the information and still the end result is i look bad, and considering the volume of work i did at the time for this project, that actually becomes an issue.

but generally what i meant is that you aren't alone in office politcs and issues mate. Where i work is a horrible place beneath the surface, just ask anyone who has ever left. You get trapped here and it's hard to get away from it, but then hard to fight it also.

So my advice from my own experience, is keep your head down and just get on with it despite the issues you have. If you are working for that contract then get that contract, once you have it you are in a stronger position. But as much as the easy answer is to do this or do that, sometimes as i have learned is that it is a losing battle to try to fight it. And choosing your battles is important in silly office politics.

Well just to put my position in perspective, i found out (as i put in the fume thread) that i am essentially being undermined whilst i am not here now. To the extent that my collegue are going back to the professionals and basically putting my work down directly, when in fact, my work was completely the opposite of that! So much so that essentially they have tried to be a smart arse without actually getting all the information and still the end result is i look bad, and considering the volume of work i did at the time for this project, that actually becomes an issue.

That's properly shitty behaviour- sorry you're having to deal with that. And yes, I have learnt to pick my battles- no job is worth being miserable.Sounds like you're better off out of that toxic environment.

Got my appointment for scan, hospice, oncologist, 2, 3, 6, weeks . Waiting time again, think i'll be here longer than you lot lol

I've been lurking on this thread and reading your posts, and I have to say, you're fantastic. To come on here and be in great spirit all the time definitely put things into perspective. I moan when I get a blocked nose ffs lol

I'm not the greatest at advice, so all I can say is good luck with everything. Like everyone says, I'm here if you need to talk (that goes to anyone else aswell) :)

My brother certainly wouldn't be offended if I were to turn it down, I feel more trapped now though that i've said yes and believe i'm going to be letting him and his friend down after saying yes. But in hindsight that is absolutely what I should have done... gone over it for a day or something before cementing the position.

The thing is I can say now that i'll open up and reject the position after helping them paint and get ready for the opening, but I know me, and on the spot tomorrow i'm going to help out and then say nothing out of some sort of fear despite really wanting to :/

Just say no , you don't have to explain anything to anyone or be guilt tripped.

Just say no, I am leaving London and my crappy kitchen job simply because I have to for my mental health

, then they ask me if I could work for a extra month with begging puppy eyes, absolute liars

R.I.P to those lost in florida, hope no one on here is affected by it. have to say though that it no longer shocks or surprises me which shows the state of the world today.
the crazy thing is I have been told I am going to die soon yet I am still here and they were looking forward to another day now they are gone. hard to make sense of it all. like I said hope no one is from Orlando but we are here if needed.

R.I.P to those lost in florida, hope no one on here is affected by it. have to say though that it no longer shocks or surprises me which shows the state of the world today.
the crazy thing is I have been told I am going to die soon yet I am still here and they were looking forward to another day now they are gone. hard to make sense of it all. like I said hope no one is from Orlando but we are here if needed.
It beggars belief doesn't it? This isn't the place for a gun control discussion but, Jesus wept!!!

As for your point about it being hard to make sense of, I hear what you're saying. Trying to make sense of it would surely drive one mad. Without meaning to make light of your situation, and reiterating the sentiments of others, you are doing us a great service with your posts & thoughts, and you may never know how you are surreptitiously helping many on GOT.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back