Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Coincidentally read this...

This is actually a good read. There are no quick fixes, no affirmations that will make this stuff go away. Our inner critic goes through our inner personal files and picks out where our weaknesses are. Then we lash ourselves over it. Nobody really knows why we give ourselves such a hard time over issues that others would find trivial.

Have bad anxiety over seeing old friends during holidays.

Comparison is the thief of joy, and one or two of them love to brag about how fantastic their lives are.
I fought my anxiety for years, taking alcohol and prescription medication trying to make it go away. Eventually I got a 'lightbulb' moment. My anxiety is my friend. It's only trying to warn me of forthcoming situations that will make me feel bad. A bit like a sailor in a crows nest, it keeps a lookout for rocks that I might crash into. Sometimes the crows nest man can overreact and point out rocks that are two far away to be a danger to me. So I acknowledge that crows nest man is doing a good job and thank him for being such an excellent look out.

Has anybody here manage to successfully quit drinking?

And if so, how?

It's been a bit out of hand for me lately and it's a path i really don't want to go down
Hi Zukai. My last drink was on the 6 May 1996. I was a chronic alcoholic who had managed to wreck, not only my own life, but also the lives of everyone who cared for me. I am an extreme case. I went to a treatment centre for alcoholism and joined Alcoholics Anonymous. This is the route that worked, and still works, for me.
You might not be an alcoholic. If you are not then the route I took mightn't be for you.

To: total strangers with a common interest. I started my profile on GOT approximately a week ago, and I generally didn’t have much to say, except I wanted to be more involved with Everton Football Club, supporters of the club, and the city of Liverpool. I’m very curious in those subjects.

Three weeks ago, a coworker / friend of mine committed suicide at his house here in San Diego. Unfortunately, he is the 3rd suicide within a week for the department we work in. We work on the southwest border for the US feds. His wife, also a coworker, is now a widow at the age or 27 as well as a mother of two kids under the age of 3. We’ve been friends since 2018 when we started this job. I didn’t cry until I saw my friend, Cova, sobbing behind her husbands casket 3 days before Christmas. A very surreal moment. Mentally, physically, and spiritually I’m well. I knew the fella and had a few beers with him. My wife on the other hand had a couple of rough days as she also works on the SW Border. She was mainly thinking about those two kiddos. We just put our hearts out there for those kids.

As to why…nobody knows. Never showed signs. Never joked about something horrendous. Just did it.

Please reach out. I am a first responder and the greatest gift you can give to your family and friends is a chance to console you and get the help you need to turn the impossible corner. Life is too short. God bless everyone that reads this.

To: total strangers with a common interest. I started my profile on GOT approximately a week ago, and I generally didn’t have much to say, except I wanted to be more involved with Everton Football Club, supporters of the club, and the city of Liverpool. I’m very curious in those subjects.

Three weeks ago, a coworker / friend of mine committed suicide at his house here in San Diego. Unfortunately, he is the 3rd suicide within a week for the department we work in. We work on the southwest border for the US feds. His wife, also a coworker, is now a widow at the age or 27 as well as a mother of two kids under the age of 3. We’ve been friends since 2018 when we started this job. I didn’t cry until I saw my friend, Cova, sobbing behind her husbands casket 3 days before Christmas. A very surreal moment. Mentally, physically, and spiritually I’m well. I knew the fella and had a few beers with him. My wife on the other hand had a couple of rough days as she also works on the SW Border. She was mainly thinking about those two kiddos. We just put our hearts out there for those kids.

As to why…nobody knows. Never showed signs. Never joked about something horrendous. Just did it.

Please reach out. I am a first responder and the greatest gift you can give to your family and friends is a chance to console you and get the help you need to turn the impossible corner. Life is too short. God bless everyone that reads this.
Sorry mate, and thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will help someone.

Wise words my friend.

All the best to you and your boy.

I haven't posted here in a while. I quit my job as a copywriter 3 years ago from the stress, I felt so incompetent and like I had let everyone down.

Everytime a colleague asks me if I'd like to go back, I panic and avoid them. The feeling of "I'm not ready yet" everytime an offer comes up and the guilt of brushing them off is just paralysing.

your mind and well being is more important

Got (another lol) bit of a crap situation at work

Me and a few others think that the person the same level as me, who I guess you could say I share a job with, is drinking a fair bit at lunch or during work. The people who notice drink, and we have a pint/wine together at lunch quite often. But I mean like when WFH calling us and slurring words, forgetting what she said, repeating stuff etc. and in work you can def smell it if you are suspicious

It's happened before with her, when she found out she couldn't have kids (I was the only person she told outside of her family initially). Work found out and supported her through it, although I can't imagine they will be as accommodating this time - this time she split from her partner of 17 years

I probably do class her as a friend, I was invited to her wedding and the only person/couple from work to be invited and she tells me a lot of things that her proper friends don't know

She has had depression before and is currently going though CBT

If what we suspect is going on, I reckon she'll be caught in the next few weeks as it seems to have ramped up a lot

So, do I mention something to her even though I don't have 100% proof? It could go very badly if I am right or not

Or do I just not say anything as it's not really my business to do so?

I don't really care about work going wrong, I can deal with that myself - I just don't want her to lose her job etc

Got (another lol) bit of a crap situation at work

Me and a few others think that the person the same level as me, who I guess you could say I share a job with, is drinking a fair bit at lunch or during work. The people who notice drink, and we have a pint/wine together at lunch quite often. But I mean like when WFH calling us and slurring words, forgetting what she said, repeating stuff etc. and in work you can def smell it if you are suspicious

It's happened before with her, when she found out she couldn't have kids (I was the only person she told outside of her family initially). Work found out and supported her through it, although I can't imagine they will be as accommodating this time - this time she split from her partner of 17 years

I probably do class her as a friend, I was invited to her wedding and the only person/couple from work to be invited and she tells me a lot of things that her proper friends don't know

She has had depression before and is currently going though CBT

If what we suspect is going on, I reckon she'll be caught in the next few weeks as it seems to have ramped up a lot

So, do I mention something to her even though I don't have 100% proof? It could go very badly if I am right or not

Or do I just not say anything as it's not really my business to do so?

From the sounds of it you can't need 100% proof to know what's going on? Sounds like more than just a hunch.

If you deem her a friend then say something to her privately.

Wouldn't you talk to your out-of-work friends if you were worried about their wellbeing? (not their job security)