2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats just your opinion. If he has 5 or 6 from open play he will have already scored more than calvert lewin who played all of last season. But you would like to think that 6 months without a goal was a one off.
Personally i dont think it will be that hard to replace him. Esp goals wise. if we bought a striker who couldnt get more than 5 or 6 all season then we really should cease to exist as a club.
Even beto got 3 and he only started 9 games. Meteta got 16 goals last year and cost 9m.
The club needs to up its game in recruiting. Now thats a different matter all together.
Mateta scored 2 last season.

This season he had a real purple patch towards the end of the season, when they brought in a new manager who plays more attacking football.

The style of football the manager plays has a big impact on scoring numbers.

If we had signed mateta for £9m after he scored 2, you’d be screaming it was a waste of money. And I highly doubt he scores 16 up front for us.

Mateta scored 2 last season.

This season he had a real purple patch towards the end of the season, when they brought in a new manager who plays more attacking football.

The style of football the manager plays has a big impact on scoring numbers.

He started 6 games.
Its a valid point that away from hodgson he blossomed.

thats just your opinion. If he has 5 or 6 from open play he will have already scored more than calvert lewin who played all of last season. But you would like to think that 6 months without a goal was a one off.
Personally i dont think it will be that hard to replace him. Esp goals wise. if we bought a striker who couldnt get more than 5 or 6 all season then we really should cease to exist as a club.
Even beto got 3 and he only started 9 games. Meteta got 16 goals last year and cost 9m.
The club needs to up its game in recruiting. Now thats a different matter all together.
It is just my opinion, but it's also what's likely to happen as Dyche teams don't score a lot of goals. Maybe an overexaggeration that he'd be on 0, but he'll defo be on like 2 and will be dubbed crap and we'll be asking for DCL back. Same as Richarlison - "oh, he's crap him, only 7 goals" or whatever, but he was an instant loss.

Beto scored 3 and only started 9 games, but played in 30 or something, not 9, and the ones she started in he looked almost like a non-Prem player most the time. Impact sub that exploits tired legs is his level it seems.

Mateta cost that amount several years ago now and scored 6 in 30 in his first 2 seasons (1 in 7 in his first). 2 in 29 last season and he pretty much exploded for the last 7 or so games to score 16 this season - he was on 6 or something up until that point. Coincidentally this happened at the same time as hiring a manager who wants to actually attack and score goals, which we also do not have.

Now, in our situation, all our eggs in the Beto and "someone else" basket where both definitely either won't score or won't play is close to insanity. And we're never finding a player like Mateta on the cheap as our scouting is definitely both lacking and "UK only" for some reason - we've needed to up our recruiting for about 15 or so years but never did, or we've gotten pieces that we rarely use to their strengths and wonder "what could've been" when they're better literally anywhere else.

wasn’t there a rumour on the peoples forum that he was leaving? Could this be a situation where EFC come out with “we offered him what we could” and DCL “they didn’t give me what I wanted and Newcastle did and I’m ambitious”

Big day tomorrow for the club and also a lot of ITKs!

Just as he gets his own song!!!
Could this also be a situation where people were lying on the internet?

Is it? How many others do we have that can actually do that? Why pay money to find one if we have him right here, already knowing the league (which people here have a massive hard on for) and Dyche and the setup.

If we get a new striker he'll be hounded out as he'll be on 0 goals until February. DCL is okay to run himself ragged and contest dead balls and catch all the flak, no one new will want to do that.
I wouldn't bother mate, the hate runs deep with this one.

It probably wouldn't be THAT difficuilt to replace DCL's goals. I've always mantained goalscoring isn't his strong suit, he never looks like he can finish with any real conviction. Even my dad who is the worlds most stubborn blue (He still thinks Tom Davies would have been useful) has come around that he may not be a great scorer of goals but hes an scorer of important goals.

What would be extremely difficult is to find a striker who has a bit of pace, height, works his socks off and generally is a complete nightmare for defenders. What he can do for the team as a whole is very much worth keeping. I dont know if this is credit to DCL or a dig at Beto, but i'd rather have the former for half of the games than the latter for most of the games. More than happy for DCL to continue and whether you're a fan of Dyche or not, he, his staff and the medical team (finally) have really managed to get it right by not rushing him back.

Important player for us, new deal providing terms aren't ridiculous is a positive thing for me.

It is just my opinion, but it's also what's likely to happen as Dyche teams don't score a lot of goals. Maybe an overexaggeration that he'd be on 0, but he'll defo be on like 2 and will be dubbed crap and we'll be asking for DCL back. Same as Richarlison - "oh, he's crap him, only 7 goals" or whatever, but he was an instant loss.

Beto scored 3 and only started 9 games, but played in 30 or something, not 9, and the ones she started in he looked almost like a non-Prem player most the time. Impact sub that exploits tired legs is his level it seems.

Mateta cost that amount several years ago now and scored 6 in 30 in his first 2 seasons (1 in 7 in his first). 2 in 29 last season and he pretty much exploded for the last 7 or so games to score 16 this season - he was on 6 or something up until that point. Coincidentally this happened at the same time as hiring a manager who wants to actually attack and score goals, which we also do not have.

Now, in our situation, all our eggs in the Beto and "someone else" basket where both definitely either won't score or won't play is close to insanity. And we're never finding a player like Mateta on the cheap as our scouting is definitely both lacking and "UK only" for some reason - we've needed to up our recruiting for about 15 or so years but never did, or we've gotten pieces that we rarely use to their strengths and wonder "what could've been" when they're better literally anywhere else.

Some valid points. I think meteta looks a good finisher though. I dont ever get that feeling with calvert lewin. Bit harsh on beto. Getting 10 or 15 minutes at the end of games is harsh to judge. Even though he doesnt look the answer.
I quite clearly dont rate calvert lewin anywhere near than some on here do. If i thought we could get a season out of him with some level of consistency i'd go with it. But we hardly ever do.

wasn’t there a rumour on the peoples forum that he was leaving? Could this be a situation where EFC come out with “we offered him what we could” and DCL “they didn’t give me what I wanted and Newcastle did and I’m ambitious”

Big day tomorrow for the club and also a lot of ITKs!

Just as he gets his own song!!!

Maybe the fella from the Peoples Forum is another attention seeking blag merchant who should be blacklisted.

Some valid points. I think meteta looks a good finisher though. I dont ever get that feeling with calvert lewin. Bit harsh on beto. Getting 10 or 15 minutes at the end of games is harsh to judge.
Just like half of our team as Dyche doesn't do early subs then. But they're all labeled gash anyway.

I believe we should try and keep him if we can, don't forget he is often the one who clears corners against us as well.
This cant be true?

Ive heard his worth can only be measured by the goals he scores and goals that other players in more attacking teams score?

Are you saying that his overall game is more valuable than any goal he may or may not score?

Some people will NOT like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back