2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a shame if he won’t sign, but if that’s the case we have to sell him. Sign or sell.

Very disappointed in DCL if that's the case. Suppose he has to look after number one and there's nothing like a fresh new challenge.

It is what it is but thought he wanted to make a real name for himself at Everton.

Bit of a kick in the teeth that it's the barcodes.

Whatever happens the one thing we can't let happen is DCL to run his contract down and move for nothing in a year. If he doesn't want to sign a new contract then he has to be sold as long as what we get for him is invested in a replacement.

Plenty of reasons to celebrate.

1: It's not 'exciting' to watch DCL. Sure, not knowing if he'll score a tap in could be classed as exciting but we need a younger more clinical player with a bit of pace.

2: His injury record means that at any time he could breakdown. 12months ago we'd have probably taken £15mil for him.

3: Goals. We need goals. DCL doesnt provide any more goals than most premier league teams backups would

4: All cash from Newcastle. If theyre buying him it should be cash up front. However, with PSR they will need a counterbalance sale.

5: Minteh would be the profile of player weve missed since Kanchelskis left. Rapid, direct and an eye for goal. Gives us another young high potential player that adds value on the balance sheet.

If Newcastle have PSR issues and need to balance those books then have to hope the deal is done next week and it sees us bring in Minteh.

100% and there seem to be plenty around in Europe these days that fit a profile we should be looking at.
Kanchelskis 😂. Give your head a shake.

There is no way selling your most important forward player ( who fits perfectly into how the manager plays) for a reserve winger from Newcastle is in anyway a positive move

Very disappointed in DCL if that's the case. Suppose he has to look after number one and there's nothing like a fresh new challenge.

It is what it is but thought he wanted to make a real name for himself at Everton.

Bit of a kick in the teeth that it's the barcodes.
In fairness, if I were Dom I would leave. He dealt with all of the Everton toxicity at its worst and hasn’t necessarily always been backed by the fans. They are too concerned with his fashion sense.

You're correct, DCL needs to be signing a long term deal this summer while he's relatively injury free and his value relatively high. Whether that's at Everton or elsewhere that's up to him. Another season like 21/22 or 22/23 injury wise and there will be nothing like as much on the table for him.

It's also why our only choices should be he signs or we sell: there is no chance he puts it all on the line for us next season if his future isn't secured. From both perspectives his future needs to be settled this summer.

I'm excited about Minteh coming the other way. The fees we see for both players if this double deal moves forward could be elevated.

But put that to one side and no matter what I would be keen to move DCL on for a good fee this summer. If it was a straight deal with Newcastle, they pay cash upfront--just like with Gordon.

£25mil would be nice and £30mil would be great for us. I'm certain that any Maupay fee as well as hopefully moving on Beto would give us a significant amount to replace DCL with.

We seem to be stuck with the target man for a long time now...but in my opinion a Lukaku, Yakubu or Johnson has done far more for us than a DCL or a Ferguson (as much as ive liked both).

Least he can do is donate the infamous skirt to the club so we can auction it off to get us completely in the black with the rules.

Wish him all the best. Scoring against the RS in a rate win a few months ago puts him in my good books for life.

Kanchelskis 😂. Give your head a shake.

There is no way selling your most important forward player ( who fits perfectly into how the manager plays) for a reserve winger from Newcastle is in anyway a positive move

Can you name one right winger weve had with anything like the pace of Kanchelskis? Or anyone so direct that can score goals?

Minteh has been praised by Arne Slot (his manager in Holland) to an extent that Liverpool have been linked with him as well as other top 6 clubs across Europe.

Newcastle fans want to see him replace Almiron as their first choice right winger.

Before you "give your head a shake" perhaps think to yourself about how a player like that at 19 could transform the attack?

Then remember that there is not only one way to play football and how Lukaku, Johnson and Yakubu would all have been scoring many more goals than DCL without injury risk like this.

I think the writing was on the wall he wanted a move after watching his last few post match interviews. Especially after the Derby game where he scored that cracker. He seemed to be full of pent up anger but kept his cool. however I did pick up on comments which took a dig at the knockers.

At the end of the day DCL was one of those players who pop up now and again that tend to split the fan base, although it's happened more in recent years with all the turmoil, Davies, Beto, Patterson even Gordon to name but a few.

I never thought DCL was as good as a lot of people made out in fairness, a decent prem striker for me on his day (when occasionally fit) and not much more.

If he does leave I hope he realises just how good Everton have been to him, not many if any other prem teams would have invested so much time,money and effort in to a player for such little reward. Good luck to him whatever he does next but we have more players than him I'd be mortified to see leave.

Can you name one right winger weve had with anything like the pace of Kanchelskis? Or anyone so direct that can score goals?

Minteh has been praised by Arne Slot (his manager in Holland) to an extent that Liverpool have been linked with him as well as other top 6 clubs across Europe.

Newcastle fans want to see him replace Almiron as their first choice right winger.

Before you "give your head a shake" perhaps think to yourself about how a player like that at 19 could transform the attack?

Then remember that there is not only one way to play football and how Lukaku, Johnson and Yakubu would all have been scoring many more goals than DCL without injury risk like this.
Off the top of my head -Dave Thomas - Derek Temple - Alex Chico Scott - Jimmy Husband - Johnny Morrissey - all could hit the line & put a cross to the no 9s head .... plus chip in with many goals too..... Tricky Trev Stephen was our last good consistent winger ....
A bit of pace, but that lot could cross the ball & score too.. - Kanchelskis was great but a short-lived affair -

Dave Thomas - Derek Temple - Alex Chico Scott - Jimmy Husband - Johnny Morrissey - all could hit the line & put a cross to the no 9s head .... plus chip in with many goals too.....

Fair enough Joey. I was thinking about the premier league since Kanchelskis nearly 30 years ago.

No one has been as quick as this player we want...nor as direct.

In fairness, if I were Dom I would leave. He dealt with all of the Everton toxicity at its worst and hasn’t necessarily always been backed by the fans. They are too concerned with his fashion sense.
It’s a huge risk for Newcastle imo - the lad is made of sticklebricks.

Losing him in return for a high prospect kid in June is better than losing him last day of transfer window with only Beto and Chermitti… or losing him next season for zip

It’s a huge risk for Newcastle imo - the lad is made of sticklebricks.

Losing him in return for a high prospect kid in June is better than losing him last day of transfer window with only Beto and Chermitti… or losing him next season for zip
I think Dom can be accommodated better over there and managed more properly as they have more talent. He is a risk for them agreed, but he is a far larger risk for us where he will play every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back