2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see some of our fan base are scarred by our recent recruitment, and understandably so. However making out like DCL is irreplaceable is frankly ridiculous.
He scored 5 league goals from open play last season and went about 7 months without scoring a league goal! Yes our attacking play was extremely limited and he has attributes which suit a direct style, but it would hardly be like replacing Rooney or Lukaku.

I can see some of our fan base are scarred by our recent recruitment, and understandably so. However making out like DCL is irreplaceable is frankly ridiculous.
He scored 5 league goals from open play last season and went about 7 months without scoring a league goal! Yes our attacking play was extremely limited and he has attributes which suit a direct style, but it would hardly be like replacing Rooney or Lukaku.

I'm sure we'll be sound mate with Beto, Maupay or Chermiti leading the line then.

That’s poor planning though if all your eggs are in Chermiti smashing a loan.
At this point though they've invested 15 million in Chermiti so they should expect a good loan. And they've invested 25-30 million in Beto so they should expect him to be an adequate starting stop gap whilst Chermiti is on loan and Dom is sold.

Now from what I have seen I wouldn't expect A) chermiti to smash a championship loan or B) Beto be an adequate Dom replacement however the recruitment team have gambled 45 million on at least one of those being the case.

So either Thelwell trusts his recruitment staff are doing a good job and will roll with that plan of succesion or he doesn't trust that his recruitment team have done a good job replacing Dom, in which case why would/should he trust them to adequately replace him this summer. A loan of a cover with beto starting seems to be what the plan was, if they've deviated from that plan then it's arguably even more concerning

I'm sure we'll be sound mate with Beto, Maupay or Chermiti leading the line then.

I’d like to think we’d bring one in, especially if we can shift Maupay. But as I said, I understand our recent recruitment scaring our fans from selling players, even when we get good offers.

Do you honestly see Dyche changing his style. He is what he is.
I remember the start of this season where we had one of the best xg in the division but couldn’t put the ball in the net! That’s the reason Dyche changed tack to long ball looking for an ugly goal because we didn’t have anyone lethal to put away our chances.

Look I don’t mind Dom but he should not be a guy we base our style of play on. Even his headers in and around the 6 yard box this season were ‘safe’. He just doesn’t have the killer instinct.

I’d like to think we’d bring one in, especially if we can shift Maupay. But as I said, I understand our recent recruitment scaring our fans from selling players, even when we get good offers.

Well, the point isn't Calvert-Lewin is so good irreplaceable - it's whether we can replace him.

Hopefully it's 4th time lucky for Thelwell 🤞

If he isn't - can we afford to get much worse in the final third?

I remember the start of this season where we had one of the best xg in the division but couldn’t put the ball in the net! That’s the reason Dyche changed tack to long ball looking for an ugly goal because we didn’t have anyone lethal to put away our chances.

Look I don’t mind Dom but he should not be a guy we base our style of play on. Even his headers in and around the 6 yard box this season were ‘safe’. He just doesn’t have the killer instinct.
Yeah, might as well put Peter Sutcliffe up front.

Over a short spell you might be right

But over 4 years?
I'm not sure what your point is with the 4 year stretch. In the 2 seasons under Benitez and Lampard he played in 34 games and only won 6 games. That's a 17% win rate with DCL featuring. In the 42 games he didn't feature in we had 10 wins which is a 24% win rate.

Using the same logic as your win % for last season we got less points for 2 seasons when DCL was fit. So him being fit for longer really would not have turned around the fortunes of 2 of the 3 worst Everton managers in living memory. In the same way that yes his win % was good under quite possibly the greatest manager in the world.

Do you see how easy it is to bend team stats to suit whichever argument you want to make?

DCL provides more than league goals. He is the best link up striker we have, the best high intensity front press striker in our squad, his control is so much better than Beto and giving continuity in the attacking phase.
Selling him means we need a replacement who does the same and hopefully scores more goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back