2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I always said - he was never right to play upfront in this Everton team and its indicative of why I'm baffled at the confidence people have on our recruitment team to so readily replace Calvert-Lewin.

Branthwaite, Pickford and Onana are the most valuable players in our team - but I think any team whose immediate ambitions are to stay in the league can replace them with players who are 17th and above.

I think Calvert-Lewin is the most difficult we have to replace.

He scores double figure league goals for Newcastle, IMO.
But the counter argument to “he’ll score more goals with better service” is that he should have scored more goals with the service he got last season.

One of our biggest issues was under performing xG. That tells you the chances were better than the finishing. That’s not just on DCL but quite a lot of it was.

Not disagreeing his all round contribution will be hard to replace but a striker who simply scores the goals he should would be an improvement in that respect.

Maybe he will score 10+ for Newcastle next season but how many chances will it take? The stats show he should’ve easily done so for us last season.

I'm not sure what your point is with the 4 year stretch. In the 2 seasons under Benitez and Lampard he played in 34 games and only won 6 games. That's a 17% win rate with DCL featuring. In the 42 games he didn't feature in we had 10 wins which is a 24% win rate.

Using the same logic as your win % for last season we got less points for 2 seasons when DCL was fit. So him being fit for longer really would not have turned around the fortunes of 2 of the 3 worst Everton managers in living memory. In the same way that yes his win % was good under quite possibly the greatest manager in the world.

Do you see how easy it is to bend team stats to suit whichever argument you want to make?

It's a simple one mate, and one I've made for years on here.

We win a lot more points with Calvert Lewin.

We'd win more points next season with him, than we would Beto, Maupay or Chermiti. Those 3 cost £60m.

Over the last 4 seasons - 2 he's played over 30 games and we've been midtable/nowhere near relegation. 2 he's played less than half and we've been within a kick of going down.

Is he irreplaceable? No.

Do I trust our recruitment team to replace him based on the attacking talent they've bought so far? No.

We'd win more points next season with him, than we would Beto, Maupay or Chermiti. Those 3 cost £60m.

Over the last 4 seasons - 2 he's played over 30 games and we've been midtable/nowhere near relegation. 2 he's played less than half and we've been within a kick of going down.

Is he irreplaceable? No.

Do I trust our recruitment team to replace him based on the attacking talent they've bought so far? No.
Not sure about this. I’ve said before, if Beto had the same minutes as Dom we’d have scored more goals. I admit Beto isn’t as rounded as Dom but he carries way more threat. Goals equal points and Dom doesn’t get enough.

Not advocating for Beto btw, I’d rather an upgrade on both!

If we had a midfield full of Lampards who score goals then Dom becomes even more important, but we don’t. We need our strikers to score goals and he just doesn’t do it enough sadly.

Just to add to this;

In the 2 seasons he had bad injuries and managed only 17 appearances, we had to rely on the last home game of the season in both to stay up.

Whenever he plays 30+, like last season - we're comfortable in mid table.
Tbf Fat Baldy Fwank had a fair bit to do with that.
Oh and one of those season we only stayed up because of Alli apparently 🙄

Is he irreplaceable? No.

But we didn't win more points with Calvert Lewin in 2 of the last 3 seasons? The stats just showed that.

You keep using the point that when he wasn't fit (which is his problem and a real possibility any season moving forwards) we nearly went down. But we won more points when he wasn't on the pitch than when he was those years. I'm really not sure how you're trying to spin him going missing for 2 years as some sort of positive, he was really really bad.

If we just sold DCL and didn't bring anyone in at all we would probably win less points but it's pretty obvious that isn't going to be the case.

I get why everyone is nervous about replacing DCL, our track record with forwards is horrendous, but with 12 months left on his contract and him seemingly having no intention of signing a new one we have little choice but to take the biggest office on the table.

Thelwell's going to have to step up and do his job.

Not sure about this. I’ve said before, if Beto had the same minutes as Dom we’d have scored more goals. I admit Beto isn’t as rounded as Dom but he carries way more threat. Goals equal points and Dom doesn’t get enough.

giphy.gif

Very difficult to replace like for like, but if we’re offered anywhere near £30m for him it’s basically pure profit for a man in the last year of his deal. We’d be mad to turn that down with his injury record.

You just have to trust the recruitment team would be able to sort a good replacement given they’d have more money to put on a down payment, the very thing that’s forced our hand into Klarna deals for Beto, Chermiti etc. Not writing either of those two off at this stage either by the way.

I like him but is there a chance he’s injury prone?

Would we be silly to turn down an offer for someone who spends a bit of time on the treatment table, whose sale would let us retain Branthwaite?
Is there a chance? Lol!

We have to sell for this money. It's not even a debate that needs to be had. He could spend six months of next season on the treatment table. That wouldn't shock anyone, and is a far more likely scenario in his case than in the cases of most other players. He shows no inclination to want to stay with us as he goes into his last year.

The only factor against his departure is nobody trusts Thelwell to replace adequately. But that's an argument to get rid of Thelwell. Getting rid of DCL is an open and shut case. Get him gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back