2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he stays, do you really think he's going to give 100% in case of getting injured again?
If he stays fit he’s putting himself in the shop window though.
Imagine he were a bosman on the back of a 20 goal season having been the first name on the team sheet, opposed to a 0 goals season were he’s sat on the bench.
One of those scenarios will earn him more money than the other.

Last edited:
Personally, if the club were to re-sign him for 4 years on £150k per week, I’d kind of accept it.
It’s a risk with his injury history, but it’s not more of a risk than paying out £50m on an unproven transfer and wages.
We know what we’re getting and when he’s on form / we play to his strengths he would be worth it. Problem of course is if we only see him for ½ the games and he can’t score more than 7 goals a season due to fitness and form.
More than that it’s big no from me. So if he is asking for more than that, then good luck to him and tara. Anything over £20m is a better than a bosman next year.
£150,000 a week for 4 years to a guy who averages 7 goals a season. Not even this club at it's most peak levels of clownshow cuckooland would offer that kind of contract to such a nothing player.

£150,000 a week for 4 years to a guy who averages 7 goals a season. Not even this club at it's most peak levels of clownshow cuckooland would offer that kind of contract to such a nothing player.
Beto will be costing near double that by way of an example - £20-£30m in transfer cost plus his wages. (Nb I remain optimistic Beto will be considerable better next season)
Plus with another 4 year contract signed we can still sell DCL in a year or 2.

By 'what's best for him and his family' I hope this doesn't mean sitting out his contract for a free. Money - or at least the amount that these lads earn - is not everything. Barkley hashopefully learned that lesson as he'll never be really welcome back after how he treated us.
Yep that's what it means. He needs to earn enough by the age of 35 to support his family for another 50 or 60 years.

If we pay that we deserve everything we get, it also opens the door for any player we have or buy to want to match it.
There is more chance of Gary Neville being Liverpool manager at xmas than there is this club could afford to give anyone £150,000 a week, even if it wanted to. (our top earners over the last year or so were 100-120 ie. Dele, Andre Gomes, Mina). Even if a Haaland/Kane level player wanted to come here I doubt we'd be able to do that contract, not given the state of the finances and PSR belt tightening.

If we pay that we deserve everything we get, it also opens the door for any player we have or buy to want to match it.
True to an extent, but there’s ways of keeping weekly salary within a superficial cap, £150k/w is a £31m contract.
Can give him an £8m signing on fee and £115k per week.
Same difference but superficially appears to keep a lid on wages.

I couldn't give a monkeys about him.

He's had top dollar here and produced pretty much f.a. for the last 3 seasons.

The day he goes won't be a day too soon.

That's fine Dave, it's your right to have your side but it gets nowhere, long term, being so autocratic 24/7 concerning club matters. What I highlighted last is fairly tame from you, keep in mind. I have my own gripes but it can't and won't all be perfect with Everton...ever.

I agree but the minute a player doesn’t want to play for Everton, he should be quickly moved on.
I'm in the States so don't read/hear everything. Has he said this openly or you assuming because his history here, considering how sh*tty we've been run in his time here doesn't suggest that.

Beto will be costing near double that by way of an example - £20-£30m in transfer cost plus his wages. (Nb I remain optimistic Beto will be considerable better next season)
Plus with another 4 year contract signed we can still sell DCL in a year or 2.
Can't sell a player if they do not want to leave.

Your example of £150k on a 4 year deal = £30m wages to a striker that has scored 15 goals in the last 3 years combined. He'd be set for life, and we'd be paying an astronomical wage to a lad who offers next to nothing infront of goal. Feel I can safely say it will never ever happen...

We don’t know what’s going on , all we have is the press and they are not exactly trustworthy. Best to see how it plays out.

If he goes then I hope a replacement is in place and not a situation where we have to wait till the last week of the window for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back