Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put him in an effective team where wingers have the pace and trickery to pull defenses around a bit and get some decent delivery from crosses. Have creative enough central midfielders who can open up defenses with neat through balls. have a functioning midfield capable of effectively playing through the lines to occupy defenders minds. play the ball out wide faster to give wingers more time to deliver a decent cross. play quicker so he cant be marked so easily by defenders in the box. Stop hoofing the ball down the channels for him to fetch, or hoof it centrally for him to provide a flick on to other atackers who simply are nowhere near him for it to be effective.

Thr blame for his 7 goals is not in my opinion down to him , but our bullshite tactics and abilities throughout the team

Put him in an effective team where wingers have the pace and trickery to pull defenses around a bit and get some decent delivery from crosses. Have creative enough central midfielders who can open up defenses with neat through balls. have a functioning midfield capable of effectively playing through the lines to occupy defenders minds. play the ball out wide faster to give wingers more time to deliver a decent cross. play quicker so he cant be marked so easily by defenders in the box. Stop hoofing the ball down the channels for him to fetch, or hoof it centrally for him to provide a flick on to other atackers who simply are nowhere near him for it to be effective.

Thr blame for his 7 goals is not in my opinion down to him , but our bullshite tactics and abilities throughout the team
So to make DCL effective we need two new wingers and at least one creative midfielder and possibly a new manager who will play that style.

Alternatively, we can sell him and get someone in who may be better suited to our style as it is now which sadly is more long ball.

I am not saying I disagree with you, I am just saying that given how tight things are, it may be seen as an easier option to get money in for him to buy a direct replacement that suits us instead of changing our entire team to suit DCL who could walk out of the door in 12 months for nothing.

Theres definitely a problem with him going on a free in the summer. And i dont think we are in a position to allow that financially.
I was merely pointing out my take on the last few pages about his lack of goals.

In terms of getting a like for like player that suits the same tactics dyche played last season, there's a severe issue with us being the second lowest scorers in open play but pretty much top of the tree for set piece goals.

The reliance on our defense last season was scary.

Theres definitely a problem with him going on a free in the summer. And i dont think we are in a position to allow that financially.
I was merely pointing out my take on the last few pages about his lack of goals.

In terms of getting a like for like player that suits the same tactics dyche played last season, there's a severe issue with us being the second lowest scorers in open play but pretty much top of the tree for set piece goals.

The reliance on our defense last season was scary.
Problem is if the player doesn’t want to take a move and run down his contract there’s not much the club can do. If we flog him well under market value just to get rid then how do we replace him?

Part of me wonders is he stalling in part to see what happens with the takeover before committing. Or he just wants to wait and get bumper pay deal on a bosman 😂

I don’t think dcl is bothered about a move this summer, and Everton getting a reasonable fee, think he’s quite happy to stay next season and get whatever fee we might get in his back pocket for whoever he signs for.

I don't think he's a very good goalscorer and I don't think he ever will be unless he plays for a team who keep setting him with sitters over and over again so I don't know why people even bother defending that side of his game because we've got more than enough evidence now of what he's like in front of goal. He is very good at other things though and he can still score enough goals to be useful. I'm not really bothered whether he stays or goes but we would need to find a replacement quickly if he does go.

Problem is if the player doesn’t want to take a move and run down his contract there’s not much the club can do. If we flog him well under market value just to get rid then how do we replace him?

Part of me wonders is he stalling in part to see what happens with the takeover before committing. Or he just wants to wait and get bumper pay deal on a bosman 😂
The lads probably on holiday and waiting to see what options he has, like anyone would do.
It will be sorted one way or another in pre season, far too many impatient people on here.

This is why people are still surprised when he doesn’t score for 15 games.

A striker that can create a goal for himself is always better than one that only gets the tap ins, as the tap ins inevitably dry up when the team isn’t playing well.

Thats such a great point. A little example is the game at the end of the season at luton. The goal they scored from adebayo is exactly the point made in this thread over and over again about the lack of service for calvert lewin. Watch that goal again. It wasnt a peach of a cross from a winger. It was a nothing ball floated into the box and he made that goal himself.

I watched almost every minute of every Everton game last season.
He had very few chances - so all this about him missing countless sitters is mystifying.
Generally we'd - mainly Pickford - would hoof it down the field where DCL was expected to win a header and flick it on to himself.
He's a very very good CF - and if we did create chances from wingers getting to the byline then he;ll finish them.
Ancelotti - probably the best manager around - managed to get him playing to his strengths.
He has to sign a contract though otherwise he has to be sold. He can't be allowed to run down the contract as Barkley did.

This is a lose-lose.

He signs a new contract - he will get crocked and play 2 games this season and we'll have no backup.
He signs for Newcastle - he scores the winner at Goodison.

Just pay him off for early retirement.

This is why people are still surprised when he doesn’t score for 15 games.

A striker that can create a goal for himself is always better than one that only gets the tap ins, as the tap ins inevitably dry up when the team isn’t playing well.

Lineker did alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back