2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club are , to an extent, hamstrung. Ok , they can reduce the fee , they can offer a bonus to the player to leave but ultimately he has a contract which he can see out if he wishes.
He's well within his rights to see out the contract in the hope of getting a bigger deal elsewhere next summer, but I'd have thought a player with DCL's injury history would be well advised to sign a lucrative long term contract this summer after a relatively injury-free year. Regardless of whether that's with us or another club.

Sure, he COULD get more money as a free agent after a solid year, but he could also break down as he has in 2 of the last 3 seasons and end up with almost nothing on the table.

He's well within his rights to see out the contract in the hope of getting a bigger deal elsewhere next summer, but I'd have thought a player with DCL's injury history would be well advised to sign a lucrative long term contract this summer after a relatively injury-free year. Regardless of whether that's with us or another club.

Sure, he COULD get more money as a free agent after a solid year, but he could also break down as he has in 2 of the last 3 seasons and end up with almost nothing on the table.
Completely agree TC , he's taking a big risk

It's certainly a risk he could get injured towards the end of his deal, but in that scenario there's the possibility that we make him an offer anyway - even if it's just a year or two on reduced terms to see how he recovers. He's been here 8 years already, so that might be the sort of risk-mitigating "good gesture" thing this club would do for someone of long service - after all Coleman has been offered deals before when he's been injured, so there is precedent.

Do have to wonder what the end game for Dom is here. If he's not going to sign a new contract then I would absolutely give him the Barkley treatment and keep him at arm's length.

Take whatever we have and try and buy his replacement now and let him linger on the bench and reserves while he runs that contract down. We don't owe him opportunities to play if he wants off and I'm sure he will struggle to make more than he's on now if he has a fourth consecutive season of poor goal scoring numbers.

Do have to wonder what the end game for Dom is here. If he's not going to sign a new contract then I would absolutely give him the Barkley treatment and keep him at arm's length.

Take whatever we have and try and buy his replacement now and let him linger on the bench and reserves while he runs that contract down. We don't owe him opportunities to play if he wants off and I'm sure he will struggle to make more than he's on now if he has a fourth consecutive season of poor goal scoring numbers.
Yeah if he has in fact rejected a contract then we need to be doing whatever we can to get shut of him now, and then let him rot for the season if we can’t get shut…. Be lucky to be getting any good opportunities next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back