2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of weeks ago.

Well according to AfricaFoot.
AfricaFoot sounds like something WebMD says you've got when start clicking on random symptoms on the homepage...

images.webp

Must be next week our first preseason game is on the 19th.
Is that before or after "gaffers day", where he takes ~25 professional footballers who have spent their entire lives working with a ball and makes them run up and down until they spew?!?... (I'm amazed Pep doesn't have someone spying on him through the bushes........)

Is that before or after "gaffers day", where he takes ~25 professional footballers who have spent their entire lives working with a ball and makes them run up and down until they spew?!?... (I'm amazed Pep doesn't have someone spying on him through the bushes........)

I kind of like the idea of multi millionaires doing that one today a year, won’t lie to you mate.

I kind of like the idea of multi millionaires doing that one today a year, won’t lie to you mate.
Yeah I get where you're coming from, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you - I'd be surprised if any modern day coach does anything like that though, especially when you think of all the sports science and technology involved in the modern game.

(Although I can totally picture, somewhere in a parallel universe, Salomon Rondon -in his 4th season at the club- is wolfing down a lasagne mere minutes before Dyche has him doing the "beep test" like it's a pissing episode of 1980s Krypton Factor).

At best, it's a very grey area. DCL seems like a nice enough guy but if the club said you'll never kick a ball here again, or gave him no squad number, or no locker, and put him out in the carpark or wherever it was Niasse was banished to, I could imagine an army of sports lawyers and Players Union reps being all over that if DCL made a fuss about it.
Unless we stopped paying him his wages I don't think he'd have a leg to stand on. People get put on gardening leave all the time.

The problem for us: he’s the best we’ve got

The problem for him: he’s not as good as he thinks he is

Honestly could be best for both sides to go their separate ways. Plus we can afford to wait a year and get nothing.

If Thelwell was trying to extort £35m for a low-scoring striker in the last year of his deal, I don't blame Newcastle for walking away. They'd be mad to pay that price (Mike Ashley might after two days on the beer, but not the current ownership).
But did you consider how good he is at defending corners, running the channel, winning headers, and holding the ball up?

I want 45 mil now.

Yeah I get where you're coming from, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you - I'd be surprised if any modern day coach does anything like that though, especially when you think of all the sports science and technology involved in the modern game.

(Although I can totally picture, somewhere in a parallel universe, Salomon Rondon -in his 4th season at the club- is wolfing down a lasagne mere minutes before Dyche has him doing the "beep test" like it's a pissing episode of 1980s Krypton Factor).

In all seriousness, last year was the first year in I don’t know how long - that we showed some morale, spirit, character and good old bottle. I really enjoyed that aspect of our performance last year.

If things like Gaffers day and other things build that, I’m all for it.

Often I think in football we can over complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back