2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you’d need a valid reason. If you just got whacked on it at your own job with no justifiable reason you’d get sued to high heaven.
Why would they need a valid reason? What would be a "valid reason"? Would the fact that he's not interested in remaining an Everton player be a valid reason?

Seems like it would be according to this:

At best, it's a very grey area. DCL seems like a nice enough guy but if the club said you'll never kick a ball here again, or gave him no squad number, or no locker, and put him out in the carpark or wherever it was Niasse was banished to, I could imagine an army of sports lawyers and Players Union reps being all over that if DCL made a fuss about it.

He may be thinking the best thing for his career is to leave next year - he'll be 28 years old, in his prime, might be his only shot at ending up at a not "top level" club but a Spurs/Villa/Chelsea esque type, just because he'd be a low-risk freebie for them.
Players get banished all the time if they refuse to sign a contract don’t they ? Don’t think unions etc ever get involved

Why would they need a valid reason? What would be a "valid reason"? Would the fact that he's not interested in remaining an Everton player be a valid reason?

Seems like it would be according to this:

Are you being serious

Do you know what, Everton as a club has been good to him. Seems to me that he has no loyalty.
The fans at Villa aside he owes us and this shows him up for what he is I’m afraid.
He appears to be holding Everton to ransom.
I wanted him to stay as he is a quality player but his antics I’m afraid it’s time to go.

Unless we stopped paying him his wages I don't think he'd have a leg to stand on. People get put on gardening leave all the time.
Executives and directors get put on gardening leave because of the sensitive nature of their position, not players/bog-standard employees (when was the last time you ever heard of that being the case for a player?!?). Aside from the fact we ARE a very fair football club and "look after our own", there's no chance we are exiling DCL - I say again, he's not breaking his contract, it is the club who would be guilty of "discriminating" against DCL (he is 100% legally entitled to see out his contract and seek employment elsewhere if he wants). Plus, Dyche plays him no matter what. He's safe as houses.

But he’s not breaking his contract A.K.A. what handing your notice in is a request to do. He’s letting it expire naturally.
He's letting the club know he is seeking other employment.

Regardless of your semantics argument here....

What part of a player's contract says we have to give them minutes on the pitch Nymz? I'm not familiar with this concept you're proposing that we apparently are contractually obligated to play him when he demands it.

Players get banished all the time if they refuse to sign a contract don’t they ? Don’t think unions etc ever get involved
All depends on the absolute specifics of how its done. Saying to a player "you wont sign a contract therefore you are excluded from ever being considered" I would think is a major lawsuit waiting to happen - IF the player pushed it.

Demari Gray was basically told you're out, so he chose to move on to a place he was happy to go to. If DCL doesn't want to go to Newcastle right now -the only club interested in him- he doesn't have to, and to exclude him from selection because of it could easily scream discrimination.

He's letting the club know he is seeking other employment.

Regardless of your semantics argument here....

What part of a player's contract says we have to give them minutes on the pitch Nymz? I'm not familiar with this concept you're proposing that we apparently are contractually obligated to play him when he demands it.

No he’s not? He’s letting his contract run out naturally, which he’s legally entitled to do, then he’ll be unemployed, then he’ll seek new employment.

It’s not semantics, it’s the law.

If I got offered a 6 month job somewhere, I accepted, turned up, wanted to work it but probably not stay on, then 3 months in they make me stay at home, I could go after them.

You’re letting your hatred for Dom cloud using your brain.

All depends on the absolute specifics of how its done. Saying to a player "you wont sign a contract therefore you are excluded from ever being considered" I would think is a major lawsuit waiting to happen - IF the player pushed it.

Demari Gray was basically told you're out, so he chose to move on to a place he was happy to go to. If DCL doesn't want to go to Newcastle right now -the only club interested in him- he doesn't have to, and to exclude him from selection because of it could easily scream discrimination.
Sorry, what part of a player's contract guarantees them minutes on the pitch? This is all brand new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back