2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's letting the club know he is seeking other employment.

Regardless of your semantics argument here....

What part of a player's contract says we have to give them minutes on the pitch Nymz? I'm not familiar with this concept you're proposing that we apparently are contractually obligated to play him when he demands it.
Except he isn't. He has 1 year left of contractual/legal employment - for all we know, he might want to sign in a week or month or six from now. He might be waiting to see what happens with new owners, which might mean a new manager. He might want to explore his options 1 year from now and maybe even re-sign with the club depending on whats on offer.

Until DCL goes on strike or refuses to play or refuses to turn up for work, the ball is in his court. He is a professional and the most the club can demand on him is to fulfill his contractual obligation professionally (ie train every day, not go awol, not fail drug tests etc). Beyond that, it's his call.

No he’s not? He’s letting his contract run out naturally, which he’s legally entitled to do, then he’ll be unemployed, then he’ll seek new employment.

It’s not semantics, it’s the law.

If I got offered a 6 month job somewhere, I accepted, turned up, wanted to work it but probably not stay on, then 3 months in they make me stay at home, I could go after them.

You’re letting your hatred for Dom cloud using your brain.
Show me the law Nymz.

It's amazing that players have this guaranteed right to be able to demand to play. I've learned something brand new today so thank you for that.

No one here is saying he has to be picked? You were talking about exiling him. Don’t twist it round just because you’re looking dumb.

What?

The post that kicked this off is what said it. Keep up with the discussion mate.

At best, it's a very grey area. DCL seems like a nice enough guy but if the club said you'll never kick a ball here again, or gave him no squad number, or no locker, and put him out in the carpark or wherever it was Niasse was banished to, I could imagine an army of sports lawyers and Players Union reps being all over that if DCL made a fuss about it.

He may be thinking the best thing for his career is to leave next year - he'll be 28 years old, in his prime, might be his only shot at ending up at a not "top level" club but a Spurs/Villa/Chelsea esque type, just because he'd be a low-risk freebie for them.

Twisting your words instead of admitting defeat. You’re wank these days.
I'm just waiting for you to actually offer up something other than an opinion from your arse that supports this idea that we could be come after for putting a player that doesn't want to re-sign on gardening leave.

Just tag me when you find that pal.

Sorry, what part of a player's contract guarantees them minutes on the pitch? This is all brand new to me.
He is NOT guaranteed -under contract of law- playing minutes. What he IS guaranteed under employment law in the UK is the right not to be discriminated against; and I say again, if a guy who was first choice striker last year is suddenly not allowed to be part of the team this year in any way shape or form because the club has decided so, I would think it's not a massive leap for a sports lawyer to call that unlawful/illegal/discrimination.

He is NOT guaranteed -under contract of law- playing minutes. What he IS guaranteed under employment law in the UK is the right not to be discriminated against; and I say again, if a guy who was first choice striker last year is suddenly not allowed to be part of the team this year in any way shape or form because the club has decided so, I would think it's not a massive leap for a sports lawyer to call that unlawful/illegal/discrimination.
And the club could simply argue that given the player is refusing a new contract that for the purposes of the football development of long-term players who will be here beyond next season that he isn't going to be used.

That's not discrimination. That's sensible planning for the future.

And the club could simply argue that given the player is refusing a new contract that for the purposes of the football development of long-term players who will be here beyond next season that he isn't going to be used.

That's not discrimination. That's sensible planning for the future.
In employment law, that IS discrimination though. That's the very point. Because he might wish to work somewhere else at the end of his contract in 1 years time the current employer has chosen to treat him differently to everyone else. That's virtually the very definition of discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back