2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you on this matter btw but didn't you tell us Dom ' Didn't seem like the kind of guy who would run his contract down and leave on a free'?
Now you're telling us that's exactly what he's doing.
I explained in detail after you'd asked me why I thought he'd run his contract down.
I think you're letting your fondness of Dom cloud your brain.

I never said that’s what he’s doing right now - I’m talking all hypotheticals. I don’t know what he’s gonna do.

Therein is my point. £100k a week to a player with zero transfer fee would be chicken feed to the likes of a Spurs or Villa or Chelsea or Newcastle etc. The real top clubs wont be interested, but those clubs a little lower down are already paying those kind of wages (and more!) to players on top of 8 figure transfer fees.

If DCL doesn't demand the earth and was happy to be a squad player, there's likely to be a number of clubs who would be interested if he was available on a free transfer.

Don't free agents always get a couple of mill signing on fees these days? Better than big fees but aren't exactly free.

And yes I get what you mean that 100k isn't silly these days for most teams, but someone who's scored a dozen goals in 3 years, can't strik a ball and csnt stay fit, I think it's madness.

I honestly hope we don't offer anything of the sort to him, hope we get a nice little fee and he can move on

You could of saved my eyes, and just said you don't rate the lad...

You made a few points i thought were without substance. still..
Overhyped. Yes.
More to do with we cant get half a dozen good games out of him through a season more than the rate.

No he’s not? He’s letting his contract run out naturally, which he’s legally entitled to do, then he’ll be unemployed, then he’ll seek new employment.

It’s not semantics, it’s the law.

If I got offered a 6 month job somewhere, I accepted, turned up, wanted to work it but probably not stay on, then 3 months in they make me stay at home, I could go after them.

You’re letting your hatred for Dom cloud using your brain.

I never said that’s what he’s doing right now - I’m talking all hypotheticals. I don’t know what he’s gonna do.
You said he's letting his contract run out naturally, that is what he's doing right now where as you said on here you but a month ago you didn't think he was the type of guy to do that.
Mate, you bang on about others moving the goalposts.

You said he's letting his contract run out naturally, that is what he's doing right now where as you said on here you but a month ago you didn't think he was the type of guy to do that.
Mate, you bang on about others moving the goalposts.

I was referring to what he would be doing in the scenario me and Jake were discussing. Again, hypothetical.

Right now we don't know if he's doing that, talking to other clubs, or about to sign a new deal.

I still don't think he's the kinda guy to do a Barkley on us, maybe he is, but until we know I still have the belief he wouldn't.

The first thing anyone does when we are linked with anyone is see what their stats and injury records are like. The sad thing is, we all like Dom but if he thinks anyone is taking a chance on him when he’s played about 20 games in 2 years and scored about 6 goals then I’m afraid he will be mistaken.

I feel like he needs to sign a contract and have a gentleman’s agreement with Everton in that if someone bids a reasonable amount and he wants to go he can but as of this second I don’t even feel like Dyche will play him if he knows he’s leaving for free next year.

The first thing anyone does when we are linked with anyone is see what their stats and injury records are like. The sad thing is, we all like Dom but if he thinks anyone is taking a chance on him when he’s played about 20 games in 2 years and scored about 6 goals then I’m afraid he will be mistaken.

I feel like he needs to sign a contract and have a gentleman’s agreement with Everton in that if someone bids a reasonable amount and he wants to go he can but as of this second I don’t even feel like Dyche will play him if he knows he’s leaving for free next year.
I'd say the complete opposite is true. Dyche has proven beyond doubt DCL is his first choice striker, he played 33 of 38 league games last year, went on a 20 game run of zero goals and yet was back in the starting line up every week. He's Dyche's boy, his place is untouchable, and if he's here he plays.

Dyche wont pick Beto or Maupay over him just because of a contract situation, that's nothing to do with Dyche, his job is to get the best team on the pitch not deal with the "noise" of contracts etc. Gana and Gomes and Young were all in the final year of their deal last year, yet they all played. When Tarks was leaving Burnley on a free Dyche played him every week because he's a professional and did his job. No one even knows if DCL has decided to leave yet.

"However, in what was a late twist, Telegraph Sport revealed that talks collapsed after Newcastle could not find a buyer for Wilson, and any deal to take Calvert-Lewin to the North East was swiftly dismissed."

So it wasnt DCL that tanked the Newcastle move, it looks like Newcastle pulled out.

Nah, not buying that.

Why would them not being able to shift a 32 year old who wouldnt be on crazy wages affect them from signing another striker?

It was basically a swap deal between dcl and minteh with payments not starting till next year. They wouldnt of need to to pay us anything.

How much would they make on a injury prone 32 year old in the last year of their contract? £2-3m?

Sounds extremely suspect to me tbh

Nah, not buying that.

Why would them not being able to shift a 32 year old who wouldnt be on crazy wages affect them from signing another striker?

It was basically a swap deal between dcl and minteh with payments not starting till next year. They wouldnt of need to to pay us anything.

How much would they make on a injury prone 32 year old in the last year of their contract? £2-3m?

Sounds extremely suspect to me tbh

Or it risked busting their wage structure? Wilson + DCL is a much higher wage than Wilson + Minteh.

i think dyche will continue to play him and hope that he can somehow convince dom to sign a new contract at some point during the season

sounds similar to when nketiah was about to leave arsenal and then at the last minute he signed a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back