2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper centre forward's goal. Took a touch, hit it through the defenders legs and across the keeper into the corner of the net, text book. Calvert Lewin brings a lot to the table, but, finishes like that are not among them.
I was thinking last night that DCL is far from prolific but he would be such a better choice than Kane for England. He would create the space and hold the ball up to bring numerous others into attack. Kane is now too slow for that, passenger.

I was thinking last night that DCL is far from prolific but he would be such a better choice than Kane for England. He would create the space and hold the ball up to bring numerous others into attack. Kane is now too slow for that, passenger.
I agree that Kane should be dropped. It might just spur him on a to glorious sub appearance. But for DCL? Not a million years.

I am going to regret saying this somehow I’m sure but I will anyway: I think Beto is at least as good as DCL. And tbh I have more hope Beto will remember to shoot the ball into the net than Dom will.

Also I hated and still hate the Beto signing fwiw. But we did it. So on to the next choice.
On the one hand I admire the “ not going to sit on the fence” statement.

On the other - have you been drinking?

He’s improved but he scored 14 Prem goals in his first season, after scoring 25 in the Championship. Always had quality.
Dom got 16 that same season so maybe that's why people 'scoffed' at him?!
He went down before going up under Emery too
Dom simply hasn't had much luck last few years
I like Watkins a lot but he still misses a lot of chances, he just gets a lot more chances too. Great finish last night but he misses that shot at least 9 out of 10 times.

I am going to regret saying this somehow I’m sure but I will anyway: I think Beto is at least as good as DCL. And tbh I have more hope Beto will remember to shoot the ball into the net than Dom will.

Also I hated and still hate the Beto signing fwiw. But we did it. So on to the next choice.
That's just not true by any metric

Be sad to see him leave, when he's firing on all cylinders, he's clearly our best striker by a country mile.

If he's to leave, needs to be this off season and it's absolutely imperative that we sign a striker who's not of the same ilk as Beto, a Donkey down at Blackpool or Oumar Niasse.

Or we'll find ourselves in a whole heap of trouble.

I agree that Kane should be dropped. It might just spur him on a to glorious sub appearance. But for DCL? Not a million years.
I am not saying DCL is the best replacement we could have, just that in terms of bringing the talent England have into goalscoring opps, he would be much better than Kane who is doing absolutely nothing. Hope that changes for the final. Southgate is treating Kane like Ronaldo for Portugal, there on reputation not what you are adding to the team.

If England are to win the final they will not do it with ten players which effectively they have with Kane's current performances.

I am not saying DCL is the best replacement we could have, just that in terms of bringing the talent England have into goalscoring opps, he would be much better than Kane who is doing absolutely nothing. Hope that changes for the final. Southgate is treating Kane like Ronaldo for Portugal, there on reputation not what you are adding to the team.

If England are to win the final they will not do it with ten players which effectively they have with Kane's current performances.

I agree, he’s not been on it at all. But has still scored 3 key goals, which Dom wouldn’t have.

Just listened to the echo piece from yesterday, DCL just been described as a "reliable PL goalscorer" but also you can't judge him on his goals. Interesting one

Been thinking about this lately, (i know there is a point on general play) would Beto score more then DCL over a season with the same amount of mins:

Last year:

Beto: 5 Goals and two assists in about 1000 odd mins.

DCL: 8 Goals and 3 assists in 2632 mins.

When you factor in penalties.................

Been thinking about this lately, (i know there is a point on general play) would Beto score more then DCL over a season with the same amount of mins:

Last year:

Beto also slightly hindered by the fact that when he came in, the team only very very slightly adjusted play compared to how they do with Dom, when despite his physical size, he has totally different strengths and weaknesses.

His basics do look pretty suspect though. Who knows.

Beto also slightly hindered by the fact that when he came in, the team only very very slightly adjusted play compared to how they do with Dom, when despite his physical size, he has totally different strengths and weaknesses.

His basics do look pretty suspect though. Who knows.

I think its an interesting one. The front unit may not be as isolated as it was if Ndiye can link i.e. he may get more to run onto. You also forget he didnt have preseason here and basically parachuted into the club on a bad run, while last was his first year in the league. Its also harder to impact coming on a cumulating mins then having a full game to impact.

Even with all that, there is a case- with similar mins he could match or better Dom.

We might be a bit quick in assumption that there isnt more to come with Beto.

Last year:

We’re about 100 times a better team with Dom playing rather than Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.