2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dom enables a system for sure, but i think this is a bit hyperbolic mate.

What was the worst part of our team last season - the forward unit.

The fact that Betos second touch is normally a foul means you don’t keep the ball for long. I’ve not written him off and he has attributes but last season he looked miles off it IMO.

The fact that Betos second touch is normally a foul means you don’t keep the ball for long. I’ve not written him off and he has attributes but last season he looked miles off it IMO.

That's often deliberate though isn't it, not to get caught on the break or to break momentum.

Is there an argument though that he didn't have preseason, new to the league etc, i get Dom is decent with back to goal and laying it off etc, but to counter that point, Beto is better then Dom at ball at feet baring down on goal.

His goal Vs Newcastle a case in point does Dom score this at 2 :50 mins - i have my doubts:

Last edited:
Beto does look proper clumsy. But that lad Forest had scoring very regularly before he got injured looks horrendous technically. He’s certainly a tryer, and they really get the best out of him. We play Beto in spurts as a Dom stand-in, knowing he will be benched soon, so why adapt. Doms play is/was light years ahead, but Dom also missed some proper sitters.

I can’t advocate too highly for Beto as he never really grabbed his chance but he’s probably better than what we’ve seen, a bit. I think I just want him to be good because it’s a great story and he was disadvantaged by his rediculously oversized collar.

That's often deliberate though isn't it, not to get caught on the break or to break momentum.

Is there an argument though that he didn't have preseason, new to the league etc, i get Dom is decent with back to goal and laying it off etc, but to counter that point, Beto is better then Dom at ball at feet baring down on goal.

His goal Vs Newcastle a case in point does Dom score this at 2 :50 mins - i have my doubts:

Fair point it was a good goal that. I don’t think we have seen the best of him, myself.

Can’t help feeling it’s just time for him to move on. Never looks happy, doesn’t score many and maybe it’s just time for a change.

We can debate it all we like but he’s been here a while now and hardly set the world alight. What’s the worst that can happen. No offence to him as a person or a player but I just think it’s time to try something different.

The bit I don't get is when people say "he'll be better in a team that plays good football". Genuinely baffling.
I think probably the fact that his two best seasons goal scoring wise came when we had more creative players in the team. Stick enough crosses on his bonce and he’ll score a few.

Same goes for any striker I imagine.

Dom enables a system for sure, but i think this is a bit hyperbolic mate.

What was the worst part of our team last season - the forward unit - what exactly did all the "great all around play" really offer and result in.
Possession in opposition half tends to limit shots on your own goal. I have no doubt Dom played a big role in our run of clean sheets at the end, for that reason and his defending corners

Or we adapt our style to extenuate his strengths.

We need to.

But for that, you need money, and time.

We've averaged 41 points over the last 3 seasons.

Small margins, lose that focal point/baseline of goals and it could be the difference between going down.

Last three year premier league;

Games: 114
Won: 32
Drawn: 27
Lost: 55
Goals Scored: 117
Goals Against: 174

From 342 points - we've earned 123.

We score 39 per season - an average of 1.03 per game.
We concede 58 per season - an average of 1.53 per game.

We absolutely can't get any worse in that final third.

We need to.

But for that, you need money, and time.

We've averaged 41 points over the last 3 seasons.

Small margins, lose that focal point/baseline of goals and it could be the difference between going down.

Last three year premier league;

Games: 114
Won: 32
Drawn: 27
Lost: 55
Goals Scored: 117
Goals Against: 174

From 342 points - we've earned 123.

We score 39 per season - an average of 1.03 per game.
We concede 58 per season - an average of 1.53 per game.

We absolutely can't get any worse in that final third.

That's the fear i think, not an ungeunine one, not necessarily loosing DCL but the ability to replace him given our presumed circumstances. That's a concern i have to be fair.

I think the stats you post are the crux of the debate really and it very much depends on perspective - it outlines his contribution as much as anyone's - the stats are bad - yet he was part of those squads, does that improve with an alternative..............

The level of discretion may be a moot point really, as he (allegedly) is the one forcing the hand and necessity for change.

That's the fear i think, not an ungeunine one, not necessarily loosing DCL but the ability to replace him given our presumed circumstances. That's a concern i have to be fair.

I think the stats you post are the crux of the debate really and it very much depends on perspective - it outlines his contribution as much as anyone's - the stats are bad - yet he was part of those squads, does that improve with an alternative..............

The level of discretion may be a moot point really, as he (allegedly) is the one forcing the hand and necessity for change.

Also consider he wasn't really part for 2 of the 3 years.

Take the seasons he played most games and we're midtable. Is it a coincidence the 2 seasons we went to the wire, he didn't play much?

It's why I worry about losing him - i think his impact is underestimated and the margins down there are small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back